'09 9th Region Top 5

I think O'Hara, Etch, Friedel, Renda , Meier and Helmer will lead the Raiders to a competitive season and have as good as chance as anybody this year to win the region. If the Murray boys step up it will be a no doubter.

Ryle seems to have Cov Cath's number beating them 5 out of 7 times the past 2 years.

I'll go with:

1- Ryle

2-Cov Cath

3-Holy Cross

4-Beechwood

Since when did head to head over a 2 year period mean anything? In 01' CCH beat Dixie 4 times, including a couple 10 run rule jobs. What happens in the finals, Dixie beats CCH 1-0 to win the title. In highschool baseball the postseason is the ONLY thing that matters.

If this is the case, Grant Co. should be a prohibitive favorite over Ryle next year since they handled the Raiders last year in their game.

I will say this....it would be quite a remarkable feat to go from a losing team in 08' to champs in 09'. Probably unprecedented.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The upcoming senior class for CCH without a doubt was the most heralded class coming into CCH in years, and I don't think they want to leave CCH without a regional title. In fact (no pressure guys), but I think the last class to go through CCH without winning a title was the class of 1991! I know they have had a few defections off the team, but they have some underclassmen who have picked up the slack. I would be hard pressed to pick against them next June.

The upcoming senior class for CCH without a doubt was the most heralded class coming into CCH in years, and I don't think they want to leave CCH without a regional title. In fact (no pressure guys), but I think the last class to go through CCH without winning a title was the class of 1991! I know they have had a few defections off the team, but they have some underclassmen who have picked up the slack. I would be hard pressed to pick against them next June.

I dont think this class is as good as everyone is saying. Yes Maile will probably go down as the best player to come through CCH, but other than that they will have average to above average players. There is nice role players to go along such as Isler, Darner, Nutini. But there is just way too much hype about this class. Their freshman year, it may have seemed they would be the best class to come through there. However each year they slowly lost alot of talented players due to lack of interest or certain issuses. I agree that Maile deserves all the credit he is getting, but come on there is just way too much talk about this team.

I dont think this class is as good as everyone is saying. Yes Maile will probably go down as the best player to come through CCH, but other than that they will have average to above average players. There is nice role players to go along such as Isler, Darner, Nutini. But there is just way too much hype about this class. Their freshman year, it may have seemed they would be the best class to come through there. However each year they slowly lost alot of talented players due to lack of interest or certain issuses. I agree that Maile deserves all the credit he is getting, but come on there is just way too much talk about this team.

I think the above is fair. Although, I'd say the 3 you mentioned are more than role players.

What stature would that be? Are you saying you're a better judge of talent than the SEC/ACC/Big East/etc coaches that are pursuing him?

Not at all, but I base my opinion on what I see not what I read on BGP. Luke is a good ball player, not a superstar. Last year for instance he was like 2 for 12 against Ryle, the games I saw, and those were singles. What do you expect me ta say? Man that kid can ground out with style. As far as a judge of tallent I am happy with my abilities there. Coached quite a few years and always kept the best players and never had a loosing season.

Judging by position Jeff Wear from Beechwood and Jason Frilling from Walton were two of the best to play the game....without all the hype.

I watched Frilling play all summer and I don't think I saw him make a trip to the backstop yet. And he's handeling guys that bring it, like Nate Munch from Brosssart, now at Xavier. Luke will get there but superstar? Not yet.

Someone remind me what Beechwood returns in pitching for next year (Smith, Snyder, Larimore, Colisimo, Hadden?). Frankly, I just don't see a ton of high quality pitching throughout NKY and they may have as much as anyone coming back, which certainly puts them in the thick of things. Obviously losing Elliot and Gohs is big, but they have talent in the mill.

Since when did head to head over a 2 year period mean anything? In 01' CCH beat Dixie 4 times, including a couple 10 run rule jobs. What happens in the finals, Dixie beats CCH 1-0 to win the title. In highschool baseball the postseason is the ONLY thing that matters.

If this is the case, Grant Co. should be a prohibitive favorite over Ryle next year since they handled the Raiders last year in their game.

I will say this....it would be quite a remarkable feat to go from a losing team in 08' to champs in 09'. Probably unprecedented.

So I guess you guys are glad you didn't draw Bellevue, or you would have never had the opportunity to lose to NCC.

Not at all, but I base my opinion on what I see not what I read on BGP. Luke is a good ball player, not a superstar. Last year for instance he was like 2 for 12 against Ryle, the games I saw, and those were singles. What do you expect me ta say? Man that kid can ground out with style. As far as a judge of tallent I am happy with my abilities there. Coached quite a few years and always kept the best players and never had a loosing season.

Judging by position Jeff Wear from Beechwood and Jason Frilling from Walton were two of the best to play the game....without all the hype.

I watched Frilling play all summer and I don't think I saw him make a trip to the backstop yet. And he's handeling guys that bring it, like Nate Munch from Brosssart, now at Xavier. Luke will get there but superstar? Not yet.

BTW, that great pitcher that you spoke about (Munch of Brossart now of X)! Luke hit what I believe was the longest Home Run that I have ever seen hit in a high school game and he did it as a sophomore against Munch who was of course a senior that year!

College superstar? Pro superstar? I will agree not yet, maybe never, but a young man who has won two consecutive ninth region POY and is the odds on favorite to win a third, yes I think he has earned the high school superstar tag.

BTW how many young HS baseball player do you know, that had coaches from SEC powers (Georgia & LSU) fly in to just see them play a single game? They don't do that for just an every day players or kids that are just pretty good.

BTW DD is the Frilling kid Dad's first name John? John was one hell of a pitcher/ball player for CovCath back in my day!

Come on DD, be serious! I know you don't like the CovCath team, but to say that the many, and I mean many College and Pro scouts who make a living evaluating young men and how they play the game aren't as knowledgeable as you claim you are, is pure jealously on your part.

What in the heck does he need to do as a individual player to impress you?

And oh BTW where are those as you put it

going to college and where are they playing baseball at? I can't wait until you answer this question!

Hughes 1.30 ERA

Collins 1.64 ERA

Hatfield 2.68 ERA

Weiss 2.78 ERA

I can live with that. Although none of these pitchers were power pitchers, averaging only 5 K's a game, they got the job done by letting that teriffic defense make plays.

Hughes 1.30 ERA

Collins 1.64 ERA

Hatfield 2.68 ERA

Weiss 2.78 ERA

I can live with that. Although none of these pitchers were power pitchers, averaging only 5 K's a game, they got the job done by letting that teriffic defense make plays.

Come on my good friend, please answer the question, where are those pitchers or any of those Ryle players playing baseball now at?

Come on my good friend, please answer the question, where are those pitchers or any of those Ryle players playing baseball now at?

Hughes and Hatfield are at Transy, Weiss is at NKU, Collins, not sure but I heard he may be a Weslyan or somewhere in Tennessee.

What offers are on the table for the 09 Cov Cath super team?

Yeah there shouldn't be any hype over a kid who had Mariner and Dodger scouts at his game when he was a sophomore. Has SEC coaches flying in to see ONE game. Gets invited to play in the Area Code games. Oh and has won POY two years in a row and most likely will get his third in 09.

I am not what you would call a Cov Cath homer, but just because I don't like them doesn't mean I am going to say that Luke Maile doesn't impress me because our team got him to go 2-12.

Hughes and Hatfield are at Transy, Weiss is at NKU, Collins, not sure but I heard he may be a Weslyan or somewhere in Tennessee.

What offers are on the table for the 09 Cov Cath super team?

Well for Maile to name just a few, and I am sure more will follow after the Area Code games:

Miami (Fla), Miss. St., Vandy, Arkansas, Ark St, Middle Tenn St, Ohio U, and Indiana, etc...along with the group that has been around for a while UK, UL, Mich St, Ball St, Indiana St, XU, UC, Western Ky, Eastern Ky, LSU, Georgia, West Virginia, Duke, Georgia Tech, etc. Notice I didn't mention any D2/D3 or NIAI schools that want him too.

Ice I know is getting looks from D1 X and UC, haven't heard anything about Darner or Nutini, but I am sure that a few D2/D3 NAIA schools will come a calling later in the season. I personally have written to Murray State about Darner going there! It would be a great fit for that school, and in fact tried hard (Joy, Chris and Terry will tell you that) to get MSU to sign Nichols and Elliott in there Junior year, but the coach didn't follow up on my suggestion to him, really a shame too, as both young men would have helped that program big time!

As my daughter told me this spring when I asked her about the Baseball team at MSU, "Dad the MSU baseball team this year is bad, really bad" and trust me DD, she understands baseball! She has to, she tagged along with me to more games than most boy's ever attend or even play in! :D

Well for Maile to name just a few, and I am sure more will follow after the Area Code games:

Miami (Fla), Miss. St., Vandy, Arkansas, Ark St, Middle Tenn St, Ohio U, and Indiana, etc...along with the group that has been around for a while UK, UL, Mich St, Ball St, Indiana St, XU, UC, Western Ky, Eastern Ky, LSU, Georgia, West Virginia, Duke, Georgia Tech, etc. Notice I didn't mention any D2/D3 or NIAI schools that want him too.

Ice I know is getting looks from D1 X and UC, haven't heard anything about Darner or Nutini, but I am sure that a few D2/D3 NAIA schools will come a calling later in the season. I personally have written to Murray State about Darner going there! It would be a great fit for that school, and in fact tried hard (Joy, Chris and Terry will tell you that) to get MSU to sign Nichols and Elliott in there Junior year, but the coach didn't follow up on my suggestion to him, really a shame too, as both young men would have helped that program big time!

As my daughter told me this spring when I asked her about the Baseball team at MSU, "Dad the MSU baseball team this year is bad, really bad" and trust me DD, she understands baseball! She has to, she tagged along with me to more games than most boy's ever attend or even play in! :D

Enough said DD...