'09 9th Region Top 5

Ryle will be very good this year, I just think CCH is the clear cut #1 right now because they have everyone back and have already proven themselves. You are right though, Ryle has had their number and could be #1 when its all over.

Ryle definatly can be the #1 but just like someone said earlier can they play like a team. Cov Cath is my #1 though, they return to much to not be very solid. But watch out for Hc. Roenker is one of the best pitchers in the STATE and Stewart is having a good season with his summer ball team. When you start adding players like Ritter and Egan(both will log some varsity innings also) from the JV team along with big time varsity contributiors from last year inStewart, Roenker, Sullivan, Barker, Cooper, Parrot and Rickels you could see some real good play out of Hc this season.:thumb:

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ryle will be very good this year, I just think CCH is the clear cut #1 right now because they have everyone back and have already proven themselves. You are right though, Ryle has had their number and could be #1 when its all over.

I also agree thay Ryle will be very good, but you would have to think Cov Cath will come out with some anger and intensity after seeing their team get so far and come up with nothing. I believe they will play as a team and come out as #1 and never look back.

Ryle definatly can be the #1 but just like someone said earlier can they play like a team. Cov Cath is my #1 though, they return to much to not be very solid. But watch out for Hc. Roenker is one of the best pitchers in the STATE and Stewart is having a good season with his summer ball team. When you start adding players like Ritter and Egan(both will log some varsity innings also) from the JV team along with big time varsity contributiors from last year inStewart, Roenker, Sullivan, Barker, Cooper, Parrot and Rickels you could see some real good play out of Hc this season.:thumb:

Although Roenker is a great pitcher... He is not one of the best pitchers in the state. He is going to be a dominant pitcher in the 9th, but not the state.

Edited by bleedblue87
Punctuation

Although Roenker is a great pitcher... He is not one of the best pitchers in the state. He is going to be a dominant pitcher in the 9th, but not the state.

From what I have heard Roenker got a lot bigger too. I wouldn't be surprised if he has added more zip on his pitches and gets even better.

I don't know of many pitchers in state that have had a sub 2.5 era from Freshman and sophmore year for strictly Varsity over 90 innings. He was the Divsion 2 pitcher of the year. He has been clocked at 90 with his fastball and from anyone who watched his breaking ball it was nasty.

I don't know of many pitchers in state that have had a sub 2.5 era from Freshman and sophmore year for strictly Varsity over 90 innings. He was the Divsion 2 pitcher of the year. He has been clocked at 90 with his fastball and from anyone who watched his breaking ball it was nasty.

Yeah I have heard he throws 90 mph now.

Yeah I have heard he throws 90 mph now.

This is absolutely incorrect. First off, let me say that I know Andy very, very well. Great kid, great athlete, great competitor, great family. My son has played summer ball with him the past 4 years. Frankly, he struggled quite a bit this summer with both his velocity and control and was hit fairly hard at times. There is no way he was throwing 90 mph this summer. Not even close. In fact, there were times early on when I question if he was much over, if even hitting, 80 mph. He did start throwing harder towards the end of our season, but I assure you he did not throw one 90 mph fastball all summer. Not one. (BTW, to be considered a 90 mph pitcher you need to be able to consistently hit 90 mph, not just one out of ten pitches). It is my belief that he was overused in high school and came into the summer with a dead arm. We watched his pitch counts/innings very closely this summer and started to see some strength come back near the end. Now, that all being said, Andy will undoubtedly be one of the top pitchers in the area next year, but top "in the state" is probably a reach at this point. Andy needs to work hard on improving his changeup. If he had a better off-speed pitch to go with his fastball and hard curve, he could be lights out. Best of luck to him next year (except when playing Ryle, of course :D).

Ryle definatly can be the #1 but just like someone said earlier can they play like a team.

Just out of curiousity, what are your concerns with Ryle "playing as a team?" I did not see that issue at all this year. The boys all got along great and supported one another. There was no in-fighting whatsoever (or at least no more than any usual high school team). They generally played solid baseball, but the fact of the matter was that they frequently struggled to hit and this lack of hitting was their downfall. I don't know that this hitting issue should or does translate into "not playing as a team." It happens. Most teams have some weakness, whether it be pitching, defense, hitting, fundamentals, whatever. And Ryle certainly had theirs last year and, unfortunatley, will probbly have some area of relative weakness next year. But - and I'm not trying to bait a fight here - I would like to hear someone clarify why Ryle will have problems "playing together as a team". I can't follow that one.

This is absolutely incorrect. First off, let me say that I know Andy very, very well. Great kid, great athlete, great competitor, great family. My son has played summer ball with him the past 4 years. Frankly, he struggled quite a bit this summer with both his velocity and control and was hit fairly hard at times. There is no way he was throwing 90 mph this summer. Not even close. In fact, there were times early on when I question if he was much over, if even hitting, 80 mph. He did start throwing harder towards the end of our season, but I assure you he did not throw one 90 mph fastball all summer. Not one. (BTW, to be considered a 90 mph pitcher you need to be able to consistently hit 90 mph, not just one out of ten pitches). It is my belief that he was overused in high school and came into the summer with a dead arm. We watched his pitch counts/innings very closely this summer and started to see some strength come back near the end. Now, that all being said, Andy will undoubtedly be one of the top pitchers in the area next year, but top "in the state" is probably a reach at this point. Andy needs to work hard on improving his changeup. If he had a better off-speed pitch to go with his fastball and hard curve, he could be lights out. Best of luck to him next year (except when playing Ryle, of course :D).

Okay thanks. I just heard that but did not know for sure. In a previous post on the Holy Cross/Beechwood District game it said that they gunned him at 91. Thats why I said that.

Also you are absolutely right that he was overused in highschool. Andy actually threw 61 innings this past season while the rest of the 8 pitchers threw 124 innings.

Okay thanks. I just heard that but did not know for sure. In a previous post on the Holy Cross/Beechwood District game it said that they gunned him at 91. Thats why I said that.

Also you are absolutely right that he was overused in highschool. Andy actually threw 61 innings this past season while the rest of the 8 pitchers threw 124 innings.

Roenker is going to be a very good pitcher if Holy Cross does not burn him up. I watched the last game he pitched against Beechwood and was not nearly the same pitcher. He needs to shut it down for 1-2 months and start running to get stronger or he will be done come his senior year in a couple of years. Shame on Holy Cross coaches doing this to this young man!! :eek::eek::eek:

Roenker is going to be a very good pitcher if Holy Cross does not burn him up. I watched the last game he pitched against Beechwood and was not nearly the same pitcher. He needs to shut it down for 1-2 months and start running to get stronger or he will be done come his senior year in a couple of years. Shame on Holy Cross coaches doing this to this young man!! :eek::eek::eek:

I couldn't agree much more. :thumb:

Just out of curiousity, what are your concerns with Ryle "playing as a team?" I did not see that issue at all this year. The boys all got along great and supported one another. There was no in-fighting whatsoever (or at least no more than any usual high school team). They generally played solid baseball, but the fact of the matter was that they frequently struggled to hit and this lack of hitting was their downfall. I don't know that this hitting issue should or does translate into "not playing as a team." It happens. Most teams have some weakness, whether it be pitching, defense, hitting, fundamentals, whatever. And Ryle certainly had theirs last year and, unfortunatley, will probbly have some area of relative weakness next year. But - and I'm not trying to bait a fight here - I would like to hear someone clarify why Ryle will have problems "playing together as a team". I can't follow that one.

First referring to the Roenker thing, if you know him as well as you say you do you would know the only time he lies is when he says he isn't hurt to not come out of a game and I have been told by sources very close, like him, that he has been clocked at 90, also my arguement wasn't that he was 90 mph pitcher all day, just that he could hit it, I mean he has been at 80 since late 8th grade. Also, having been at a few Ryle JV games I just at times saw a team that looked lost and a few instances where they would show up a teammate.