'09 9th Region Top 5

Top 5 IMO:

1. Cov Cath- 9th Region Runner-up and Preseason #1 last year. The Colonels return all nine starters.

2. NCC- Got to give some love to the defending 9th Region Champs. They also return Connor and Kelly.

3. Ryle- The Raiders went through some growing pains last year, but will return 7 or 8 starters (correct me if I am worng) that saw a lot of time last year.

4. Beechwood- The Tigers lose A LOT, but they bring back Slusher, and the arm of Smith. Plus Beechwod finds a way to be good and contend every year.

5. Holy Cross- The Indians will have nine seniors (Correct me if I am wrong). Roenker will be one of the top pitchers in the region and Sullivan will be a very nice power bat.

Opinions?

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5. Holy Cross- The Indians will have nine seniors (Correct me if I am wrong). Roenker will be one of the top pitchers in the region and Sullivan will be a very nice power bat.

Opinions?

Can the 9 play?

Also, I'd hope to see Coach Holtz lighten up on Roenker's number of pitches and innings.

Your five picks look solid. CCH is the clear-cut #1 and will be very tough to beat next year. You are correct about Ryle returning 7-8 starters, plus they will round out the roster with players from the regional JV championship team. Depth of quality pitching might be an issue, however. Pitching, pitching, pitching - can you ever have enough of it????

Your five picks look solid. CCH is the clear-cut #1 and will be very tough to beat next year. You are correct about Ryle returning 7-8 starters, plus they will round out the roster with players from the regional JV championship team. Depth of quality pitching might be an issue, however. Pitching, pitching, pitching - can you ever have enough of it????

Pitching is the key to winning along with great defensive play. Pitching is also something Cov Cath has more than other 9th Region competitors. NCC, Holy Cross, Beechwood, and Ryle will have a solid 1 and 2, but that just wont cut it come tourny time.

Pitching is the key to winning along with great defensive play. Pitching is also something Cov Cath has more than other 9th Region competitors. NCC, Holy Cross, Beechwood, and Ryle will have a solid 1 and 2, but that just wont cut it come tourny time.

Who are the 1 and 2 for each?

it worked well for NCC this year? Beechwood has nice pitchers but they forget to use them in big games? CovCath while very good I don't think will cut again. Ryle will be tough but I agree they lack pitching.

Ryle will have a problem playing as a team.

I also disagree strongly with this statement. Most of the returning starters fron the 2008 varsity team are from the 2007 JV Regional Championship team that went 26-3 and the rest of the roster will be filled with the 2008 JV Regional Championship team. I believe playing as a team this coming year will not be an issue. After Etschied Ryle has some capable seniors (good stuff wise) that need to step up and be consistent and then will fill in with some up and coming younger pitchers. Yes this is a an "if" but "if" happens they will be strong contenders. My five are as follows: I know there are more than five here but after what happened this past year I don't think you can overlook the team I have at #5.

1) Cov Cath

2) Ryle

3) Conner

4) NCC

5) Holy Cross/Beechwood/Dixie

I think O'Hara, Etch, Friedel, Renda , Meier and Helmer will lead the Raiders to a competitive season and have as good as chance as anybody this year to win the region. If the Murray boys step up it will be a no doubter.

Ryle seems to have Cov Cath's number beating them 5 out of 7 times the past 2 years.

I'll go with:

1- Ryle

2-Cov Cath

3-Holy Cross

4-Beechwood

I think O'Hara, Etch, Friedel, Renda , Meier and Helmer will lead the Raiders to a competitive season and have as good as chance as anybody this year to win the region. If the Murray boys step up it will be a no doubter.

Ryle seems to have Cov Cath's number beating them 5 out of 7 times the past 2 years.

I'll go with:

1- Ryle

2-Cov Cath

3-Holy Cross

4-Beechwood

You can definitely add Carney to that list and Hensley if he returns this year.

I'll go with:

1- Ryle

2-Cov Cath

3-Holy Cross

4-Beechwood

Ryle will be very good this year, I just think CCH is the clear cut #1 right now because they have everyone back and have already proven themselves. You are right though, Ryle has had their number and could be #1 when its all over.