'09 9th Region Top 5

Well for Maile to name just a few, and I am sure more will follow after the Area Code games:

Miami (Fla), Miss. St., Vandy, Arkansas, Ark St, Middle Tenn St, Ohio U, and Indiana, etc...along with the group that has been around for a while UK, UL, Mich St, Ball St, Indiana St, XU, UC, Western Ky, Eastern Ky, LSU, Georgia, West Virginia, Duke, Georgia Tech, etc. Notice I didn't mention any D2/D3 or NIAI schools that want him too.

Ice I know is getting looks from D1 X and UC, haven't heard anything about Darner or Nutini, but I am sure that a few D2/D3 NAIA schools will come a calling later in the season. I personally have written to Murray State about Darner going there! It would be a great fit for that school, and in fact tried hard (Joy, Chris and Terry will tell you that) to get MSU to sign Nichols and Elliott in there Junior year, but the coach didn't follow up on my suggestion to him, really a shame too, as both young men would have helped that program big time!

As my daughter told me this spring when I asked her about the Baseball team at MSU, "Dad the MSU baseball team this year is bad, really bad" and trust me DD, she understands baseball! She has to, she tagged along with me to more games than most boy's ever attend or even play in! :D

So Maile has some offers. Ice is not a D1 pitcher, I guarantee you. But no one else? hmmmmmm. I perfer to compare the 09 Cov Cath team to the 02 Cov Cath, 06 Beechwood and 07 Raiders after the season. Until then it's all speculation.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah there shouldn't be any hype over a kid who had Mariner and Dodger scouts at his game when he was a sophomore. Has SEC coaches flying in to see ONE game. Gets invited to play in the Area Code games. Oh and has won POY two years in a row and most likely will get his third in 09.

I am not what you would call a Cov Cath homer, but just because I don't like them doesn't mean I am going to say that Luke Maile doesn't impress me because our team got him to go 2-12.

Mr. Schaffer and Mr. Grote live in the area. I am sure they watched a lot of high school baseball the past few years. Mr. Schaffer's son Jake was just drafted by the Mariners. Don't think an offer has been made to anyone else yet.

So Maile has some offers. Ice is not a D1 pitcher, I guarantee you. But no one else? hmmmmmm. I perfer to compare the 09 Cov Cath team to the 02 Cov Cath, 06 Beechwood and 07 Raiders after the season. Until then it's all speculation.

Some offers? :rolleyes: :lol:

Gee DD my guess is Luke has had more offers from top D1 rated proven baseball programs, than the entire 07 Ryle team had!

I mean nothing against Transy, NKU and Wesleyan but they aren't exactly LSU, Georgia, or Miami (Fla) to name just a few!

Gee DD my guess is Luke has had more offers from top D1 rated proven baseball programs, than the entire 07 Ryle team had!

I mean nothing against Transy, NKU and Wesleyan but they aren't exactly LSU, Georgia, or Miami (Fla) to name just a few!

Just because you're scouted does not mean you have an offer. Right now Luke would have a real challange edging out Frilling at Georgetown.

Just because you're scouted does not mean you have an offer. Right now Luke would have a real challange edging out Frilling at Georgetown.

DD I understand that scouting and making offers are indeed different, but in this case, offers have been made!

Wow DD you are giving Luke a huge complement by comparing a soon to be HS senior baseball player to a soon to be senior college baseball player! WOW! Don't you think Luke just might get a tad better as he gains even more experience with better coaching in college and playing at a higher level as he gets older?

DD I understand that scouting and making offers are indeed different, but in this case, offers have been made!

Wow DD you are giving Luke a huge complement by comparing a soon to be HS senior baseball player to a soon to be senior college baseball player! WOW! Don't you think Luke just might get a tad better as he gains even more experience with better coaching in college and playing at a higher level as he gets older?

Now you're starting to understand what I have been saying. Superstar, NOT YET.

BTW, that great pitcher that you spoke about (Munch of Brossart now of X)! Luke hit what I believe was the longest Home Run that I have ever seen hit in a high school game and he did it as a sophomore against Munch who was of course a senior that year!

College superstar? Pro superstar? I will agree not yet, maybe never, but a young man who has won two consecutive ninth region POY and is the odds on favorite to win a third, yes I think he has earned the high school superstar tag.

BTW how many young HS baseball player do you know, that had coaches from SEC powers (Georgia & LSU) fly in to just see them play a single game? They don't do that for just an every day players or kids that are just pretty good.

BTW DD is the Frilling kid Dad's first name John? John was one hell of a pitcher/ball player for CovCath back in my day!

DD as I posted above I not calling him a College super star or even a Pro super start, but he has earned being called a HS Super Star!

DD as I posted above I not calling him a College super star or even a Pro super start, but he has earned being called a HS Super Star!

...and I am just saying I haven't seen that in the 7 or 8 high school games I have seen him play. He must have had some five for four games when I wasn't there. LOL (and we pitched to him just about every AB )

I have to agree with DD. Obviously, Maile is a decent player or else he wouldn't have scouts looking at him, but super star? I had to have my buddy point out which one he was the first time I saw him play. Usually the super star stands out on the team. I think sometimes one player gets way too much recognition and the other guys fall in the shadows. I may have even saw him play against Ryle and I believe Etscheid struck him out... definitely didn't pitch around him. :) Maybe a great player, not a super star. TOG, what offers has he had?

Refresh my memory, but as far as I can recall, the only Cov Cath kid playing college baseball over the past couple of years is Conner Larkin at Georgetown.

Ryle has 5 kids playing and 1 playing summer college ball.

Refresh my memory, but as far as I can recall, the only Cov Cath kid playing college baseball over the past couple of years is Conner Larkin at Georgetown.

Ryle has 5 kids playing and 1 playing summer college ball.

Lets go to the CovCath baseball web page and see! But before you do, are you sure you want to compare the CovCath long tradition of baseball success against Ryle only recent success?

Of course remember Larkin, Bleser and Niehaus aren't on this list plus many from back in my day who played college ball that aren't on the list that played college ball too.

BTW how many of those Ryle kids have ever signed a pro baseball contract, or signed with a D1 school?

And what do I see from the year 1987? Why it's Pat Roesel the head coach of Ryle High School on that CovCath list of Alums who earned a baseball scholarship while playing for CovCath at D1 X.

I have to agree with DD. Obviously, Maile is a decent player or else he wouldn't have scouts looking at him, but super star? I had to have my buddy point out which one he was the first time I saw him play. Usually the super star stands out on the team. I think sometimes one player gets way too much recognition and the other guys fall in the shadows. I may have even saw him play against Ryle and I believe Etscheid struck him out... definitely didn't pitch around him. :) Maybe a great player, not a super star. TOG, what offers has he had?

Could you define a High School super star to me? What would qualify one to be given that rank? Would it be the player of the year not just once but twice and the odds on favorite to win it three years straight? A player who is getting offers from the top D1 baseball programs in the country? Would it be one who as a sophomore is already in the KHSAA record book? Would it be one who the pro scouts are singling out as a possible high draft pick? Would it be one who has been a All State member as a Junior? Just curious but could you explain what Maile needs to do to prove to you he is a HS super star as a baseball player? Seems pretty many pro and college scouts think something special about the kid!

BTW, Here is a hint for you kycats12 and MODS I am not trying to be mean or nasty at all but really trying to be helpful to kycats12 as I see him/her being rather new to BGP's!

How about reading the entire thread before you ask a question that has been answered prior. If you had read the entire thread, you easily would have seen that on posts #91. #92, and #93 that your question was answered!

How about reading the entire thread before you ask a question that has been answered prior. If you had read the entire thread, you easily would have seen that on posts #91. #92, and #93 that your question was answered!

I'm sorry TOG, I thought your #91 post was a misprint and was asking hoping for the truth as I know for an absolute fact he has not gotten offers from ALL of those schools. Not to be "mean or nasty" but maybe you should check your post for inaccuracies before they are posted. I think he is a great player and maybe by graduation he will have offers from all those schools... but currently he does not. So I will ask my question again to someone who knows, who all does he currently have offers from?

Lets go to the CovCath baseball web page and see! But before you do, are you sure you want to compare the CovCath long tradition of baseball success against Ryle only recent success?

Of course remember Larkin, Bleser and Niehaus aren't on this list plus many from back in my day who played college ball that aren't on the list that played college ball too.

BTW how many of those Ryle kids have ever signed a pro baseball contract, or signed with a D1 school?

And what do I see from the year 1987? Why it's Pat Roesel the head coach of Ryle High School on that CovCath list of Alums who earned a baseball scholarship while playing for CovCath at D1 X.

TOG...you really need to read my post completely before you instruct someone else to read before replying. I said "The last couple of years" not SCHOOL HISTORY. You're comparing a school that is around 16 or 17 to a school that was around when Abner Doubleday invented the game.

TOG...you really need to read my post completely before you instruct someone else to read before replying. I said "The last couple of years" not SCHOOL HISTORY. You're comparing a school that is around 16 or 17 to a school that was around when Abner Doubleday invented the game.

Will I did read it entirely and if you read the web page, it did give you all those who have played in the last couple of years plus years and years ago. Remember I did mention Larkin, Niehaus and Bleser, who were not on that list. Can't help it if CovCath has had a great history of baseball players, and Ryle has just had a few years of history.