Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Clean Air or Banning Smoking

Featured Replies

Plain and simple - non-smokers want a total band. I don't even go to Cincinnati anymore, not for a Reds or football game. Oh yea - we just grilled out, and I hope I didn't upset anyone.

  • Replies 138
  • Views 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Plain and simple - non-smokers want a total band. I don't even go to Cincinnati anymore, not for a Reds or football game. Oh yea - we just grilled out, and I hope I didn't upset anyone.
Me too, should I make an appointment with an Oncologist? :lol:

I was grilling a pork picnic and Boston butt roast from 3 PM yesterday to 1:30 AM this morning. I am getting ready to grill a pork tenderloin. I am planning to throw some extra apple chips on the charcoal as a show of solidarity with the nation's beleaguered restaurateurs. :D

Me too, should I make an appointment with an Oncologist? :lol:

 

:thumb:

By expecting ALL restaurants to be smoke free.

You want others to to have a lower quality of life (giving up enjoying the benefits of society) because of your choice. You want it all your way, that's just not right.

 

Those that are allergic to smoke most certainly can go out to eat if they choose, they have plenty of smoke free restaurants to choose from.

 

Only within the past 12 to 18 months have those options occurred.

Do we have to have laws? Of course we do. They are not all the same. Smoking is a legal activity. I'm pretty sure all of the items you mentioned are illegal for individuals as well as businesses. Another difference is, those things were forced on people they could not be avoided. Restaurants that allow smoking can be avoided. IMO smoking bans are a way of legislating someones choice.

 

Restaurants are not public property. They are private businesses that serve the public. There is a difference. They are responsive to their customers if they want to continue to make a profit.

 

No one is forced to go to them. Everyone as a customer can choose to go or not go to them. I choose not to go to certain restaurants and bars because their air handling systems are not up to my standards. I do choose to support restaurants and bars that are nonsmoking.

I don't follow what you are trying to say on the bolded.

 

And again, you are missing a key, key point.

 

All of these bans started BEFORE there were any non-smoking restaurants. Non-smoking restaurants by owners choice is a very new phenomenom.

Me too, should I make an appointment with an Oncologist? :lol:

 

This is nothing to joke about - no matter what your position on smoking in restaurants.

If restaurant owners would have actually made some effort to provide a smoke-free area for customers prior to all these bans, we may not be having this discussion now. However, when I would ask for a non-smoking table and be led to a table that is 6 inches from the smoking section separated only by a 5' high half-wall with a plant on top of it, there was no such thing as a true smoke-free area. It would have cost the business owners a lot of money to actually build a full wall or have an exhaust system that really does keep the smoke out of the other section.

This is nothing to joke about - no matter what your position on smoking in restaurants.

 

Humor has always been one of the most effective mechanisms for dealing with tragedy.

Humor has always been one of the most effective mechanisms for dealing with tragedy.

 

I agree in principal, but in this case the humor was in bad taste and insensitive intent. IMO

Good Grief!!! How many times a week do you go out to eat? Do you stay at the restaurant for hours upon hours?

 

Since we're very concerned about people not being irritated whilst trying to breathe, we better-

 

-Park the diesel vehicles.

-Maybe just go ahead and park all vehicles, including planes and trains.

-Ban all outdoor burning. No more campfires, or burning the brush pile.

-Close all factories.

-Shut down the power plants.

-Ban all perfumes and body sprays.

 

Is that better?:rolleyes:

Good Grief!!! How many times a week do you go out to eat? Do you stay at the restaurant for hours upon hours?

 

Since we're very concerned about people not being irritated whilst trying to breathe, we better-

 

-Park the diesel vehicles.

-Maybe just go ahead and park all vehicles, including planes and trains.

-Ban all outdoor burning. No more campfires, or burning the brush pile.

-Close all factories.

-Shut down the power plants.

-Ban all perfumes and body sprays.

 

Is that better?:rolleyes:

 

Outdoor smoke isn't what has been banned.

Good Grief!!! How many times a week do you go out to eat? Do you stay at the restaurant for hours upon hours?

 

Since we're very concerned about people not being irritated whilst trying to breathe, we better-

 

-Park the diesel vehicles.

-Maybe just go ahead and park all vehicles, including planes and trains.

-Ban all outdoor burning. No more campfires, or burning the brush pile.

-Close all factories.

-Shut down the power plants.

-Ban all perfumes and body sprays.

 

Is that better?:rolleyes:

 

Just think of your statement that I bolded.

 

Somehow you are trying to triviliaze the act of a person trying to BREATHE.

 

You know that action that keeps a person ALIVE.

 

You are trying to make it sound like, no big deal if a person is having difficulty BREATHING.

If restaurant owners would have actually made some effort to provide a smoke-free area for customers prior to all these bans, we may not be having this discussion now. However, when I would ask for a non-smoking table and be led to a table that is 6 inches from the smoking section separated only by a 5' high half-wall with a plant on top of it, there was no such thing as a true smoke-free area. It would have cost the business owners a lot of money to actually build a full wall or have an exhaust system that really does keep the smoke out of the other section.

 

You said it much better than I have tried to say it.

 

If the requests for serious non-smoking sections would have been looked at 5 years ago, I don't think we are to this point today.

Just think of your statement that I bolded.

 

Somehow you are trying to triviliaze the act of a person trying to BREATHE.

 

You know that action that keeps a person ALIVE.

 

You are trying to make it sound like, no big deal if a person is having difficulty BREATHING.

 

We've had this discussion before in P&R and you know I'm not trying to trivialize breathing.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.