Clean Air or Banning Smoking

coldweatherfan

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It was 5-10 years ago and was not given serious consideration by smokers to try and make a plan work. They just blew smoke circles and thought nothing will be done about it.

Now that it is, they are sitting their dumbfounded wondering what the heck happened.

I spent over 20 years in the business and I was in the business then. Responsible restaurant owners did make efforts to accomodate everyone, and provide an acceptable environment. The problem is everyones definition of acceptable is different.

Did they provide smoke free environments? No

Some did a better job than others and still do. I patronize the ones that do a better job. I am very very seldom offended by someone smoking when I am out at a restaurant(Bars are a different story).

It is the nature of business to expend only the capital that is neccessary to achieve an acceptable goal. If the bar is raised then they expend the capital to reach the new goal.

If clean air standards were required, the restaurants that felt it was advatageous to expend capital to meet those needs would do it. Others would deem that it wasn't worth the expendeture and would choose to go non-smoking. Either way it comes down to their ability to make a choice.

I have tried to emphasize that as far as I'm concerned, the only rights smokers and non-smokers have is the right to choose to support or not support a restaurant because of the restaurants performance.

Perhaps the folks in NKY can set an example of cooperation between businesses, government, and individuals. Maybe there is a place where all can coexist, without any getting thier rights trampled on.

I spent over 20 years in the business and I was in the business then. Responsible restaurant owners did make efforts to accomodate everyone, and provide an acceptable environment. The problem is everyones definition of acceptable is different.

Did they provide smoke free environments? No

Some did a better job than others and still do. I patronize the ones that do a better job. I am very very seldom offended by someone smoking when I am out at a restaurant(Bars are a different story).

It is the nature of business to expend only the capital that is neccessary to achieve an acceptable goal. If the bar is raised then they expend the capital to reach the new goal.

If clean air standards were required, the restaurants that felt it was advatageous to expend capital to meet those needs would do it. Others would deem that it wasn't worth the expendeture and would choose to go non-smoking. Either way it comes down to their ability to make a choice.

I have tried to emphasize that as far as I'm concerned, the only rights smokers and non-smokers have is the right to choose to support or not support a restaurant because of the restaurants performance.

Perhaps the folks in NKY can set an example of cooperation between businesses, government, and individuals. Maybe there is a place where all can coexist, without any getting thier rights trampled on.

Based on your response, I am guessing you live in a community that has many choices.

I live in a community that the total number of restaurants is 6. Not many choices when McDonald's is the ONLY one that you cannot smoke at while eating your meal.

I guess we could go out to eat there all the time and die of heart disease instead of lung disease.;):D:sssh: