Clean Air or Banning Smoking

coldweatherfan

Just think of your statement that I bolded.

Somehow you are trying to triviliaze the act of a person trying to BREATHE.

You know that action that keeps a person ALIVE.

You are trying to make it sound like, no big deal if a person is having difficulty BREATHING.

All things cat cause my breathing tubes to constrict, and would kill me if I stay exposed to cat for too long. Kill all cats before they kill me.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We've had this discussion before in P&R and you know I'm not trying to trivialize breathing.

In that one post, it came across as you were. Thanks for clarifying.

Seeing my daughter struggle to catch a breath for awhile afterwards because of some person feeling it is more of their god-given right to smoke a cigarette than it is for my daughter to be able to take a breath.....well, I get a little defensive and emotional about it.

And I guess that is where it stands with me.

Whose rights are more violated.

My daughters by not being able to breathe for awhile afterwards while going out to eat because of cigarette smoke.

Or a smoker not being able to light up for 2-3 minutes after eating their meal.

Some won't agree but I think it is obvious that being able to breathe trumps smoking in all facets of this argument.

All things cat cause my breathing tubes to constrict, and would kill me if I stay exposed to cat for too long. Kill all cats before they kill me.

If people begin to bring cat after cat into a restaurant along with the cat's litter box and makes it to the point you cannot go out to eat, I would agree with you.

Until that happens, ridiculous argument.

If people begin to bring cat after cat into a restaurant along with the cat's litter box and makes it to the point you cannot go out to eat, I would agree with you.

Until that happens, ridiculous argument.

Not really. I can take steps to avoid contact with cats.

While I'm no cat lover, the correct comparison would be: don't allow them in enclosed public places where it could effect you...

Not really. I can take steps to avoid contact with cats.

Absolutely, you can.

Because they are not carried around and breathed on you like cigarette smoke is.

In fact, I don't know of an incident of ever seeing a cat in a restaurant.

I know there is an argument about Chinese restaurants and cats, but I won't go there.:D

Absolutely, you can.

Because they are not carried around and breathed on you like cigarette smoke is.

In fact, I don't know of an incident of ever seeing a cat in a restaurant.

I know there is an argument about Chinese restaurants and cats, but I won't go there.:D

You're missing the point. Millions of people in this country have allergies. Most of them just try to avoid coming into contact with the allergen. Should all restaurants ban the use of peanuts and/or peanut oil just because someone might have a reaction?

You said it much better than I have tried to say it.

If the requests for serious non-smoking sections would have been looked at 5 years ago, I don't think we are to this point today.

This is, was before, and has always been a problem.

But, serious non-smoking sections never comes up as an option with the antismoking group. It is never discussed. It is never given as an option. Why? IMO it is because most of the antismoking group is interested only in imposing thier will and banning cigarettes.

You're missing the point. Millions of people in this country have allergies. Most of them just try to avoid coming into contact with the allergen. Should all restaurants ban the use of peanuts and/or peanut oil just because someone might have a reaction?

All restaurants should advertise what foods have them to help the accidental ingestion of peanuts. Not sure but is the smell of the peanuts the problem?

If not, then the comparison does not work as one has to be ingested while the other does not.

This is, was before, and has always been a problem.

But, serious non-smoking sections never comes up as an option with the antismoking group. It is never discussed. It is never given as an option. Why? IMO it is because most of the antismoking group is interested only in imposing thier will and banning cigarettes.

It was 5-10 years ago and was not given serious consideration by smokers to try and make a plan work. They just blew smoke circles and thought nothing will be done about it.

Now that it is, they are sitting their dumbfounded wondering what the heck happened.

All restaurants should advertise what foods have them to help the accidental ingestion of peanuts. Not sure but is the smell of the peanuts the problem?

If not, then the comparison does not work as one has to be ingested while the other does not.

For some, the mere scent of peanuts or peanut oil triggers anaphylactic shock.

Outdoor smoke isn't what has been banned.

Not yet, but all the things I listed can certainly taint the air breathed by smokers and non-smokers. And they could infringe upon my right to enjoy

the benefits of society by going to a restaurant. I don't care about the ban, it won't affect me one way or the other. What does bother me is how smokers have come to be seen as evil villains that should be put into a different caste of society.

Have you ever read any studies about why so many children have asthma and allergies these days? Or why so many adults have respiratory problems? A great deal of it is because of the things I listed. I think it's safe to say that the air we breathe on a daily basis has more effect on us than the air we breathe for 30 minutes in a restaurant once every week or so.

Where is everyone's outrage about air quality and pollution?

So, do we have a problem then of people blowing their peanut breath on others in this country?

I'm sure the parents of children with this allergy feel like every restaurant in the world that hasn't gone "peanut-free" is blowing its exhaust fumes right in their child's face. Most of them are involved in some "ban peanuts" crusade, the way some other parents are involved in "ban perfume/body spray" movements.

I'm sure the parents of children with this allergy feel like every restaurant in the world that hasn't gone "peanut-free" is blowing its exhaust fumes right in their child's face. Most of them are involved in some "ban peanuts" crusade, the way some other parents are involved in "ban perfume/body spray" movements.

I would like to read some articles on these movements to see how widespread they are. Do you know of any articles?