The Most Expensive Steak in America

By Sarah Fuss

Recently, I was invited to the first Wagyu auction of the Lone Mountain Cattle Company in New Mexico. I jumped at the chance to find out the truth behind those golden steaks stampeding menus across America. Six ounces cost $70 at Wolfgang Puck's Cut steakhouse in Beverly Hills and 12 ounces go for $102 at New York's Craft restaurant.

-A Texas A&M study found that of any breed, Wagyu have the most monounsaturated fat(good for cholesterol)and omega-3's(great for your immune system, skin, and just about everything else). In other words, Wagyu steaks are richer AND healthier than ordinary Angus steaks!

-The cows from the three largest Wagyu suppliers in America are Natural-Fed. That means their feed does not contain hormones, growth implants, nor antibiotics.

Snob Alert :

Cows must be 50% Wagyu to be sold as Wagyu, according to the USDA and American Wagyu Association requirements. So, most Wagyu sold in high-end restaurants and food markets comes from steers that are a cross of Wagyu and Angus.

100% Wagyu steaks come only from Japan or Australia and price even higher: Wolfgang Puck's Cut restaurant serves 6 oz. for $120, which is $50 more than its regular Wagyu steak. At Craft steakhouse, 100% Wagyu is sold by the ounce for $30. Bradley Ogden's in Las Vegas pushes it to $39 per ounce.

http://food.yahoo.com/blog/yahoofreshpicks/5/the-most-expensive-steak-in-america

How many of you would pay 120 coconuts for a 6 ounce steak???

What's the most you have ever paid for a piece of cow?

I have a freezor full of steaks so I usually don't buy one when I go out to eat. The most I have ever paid for one is between $20-25.

These are called "expense account" steaks as in only those using an expense account would pay that much. I've had the top line steaks from places like Shula's, Ruth's Chris, Precinct, etc. They're very tasty but I'm too cheap to pay for it. I'll take my Outback Special.

I thought the food on a cruise is included in the cruise package???

It is for the most part. Every meal you eat is included. They have a formal type dining hall that has a small menu of very good food, such as lamb, new york strip, etc., that is included which is where pretty much everyone eats dinner. Each ship also has at least one specialty restauraunt on board, that is not included. We decided to eat at that one night, and it was extremely good, just not something I want to shell over $50 for again.

I heard an ad for Ruth's Chris on the radio this weekend; they were advertising a special - salad, main course and dessert for two for $89.

I've never been, so I don't know how it compares to their regular prices.

It is for the most part. Every meal you eat is included. They have a formal type dining hall that has a small menu of very good food, such as lamb, new york strip, etc., that is included which is where pretty much everyone eats dinner. Each ship also has at least one specialty restauraunt on board, that is not included. We decided to eat at that one night, and it was extremely good, just not something I want to shell over $50 for again.

Thanks.Sounds like you had a good time and lots of good eats.