The Most Expensive Steak in America

Is there anywhere in the US that Japanese Kobe beef be bought?

Kobe is the black Tajima-ushi breed of Wagyu cattle and is only raised in one prefecture in Japan.

http://www.1-800-kobebeef.com/?gclid=CJGfyLf-rpQCFQKfnAodckotfA

More info here and this has the best price on the standard grade -

http://store.kobe-beef.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=001008

I heard an ad for Ruth's Chris on the radio this weekend; they were advertising a special - salad, main course and dessert for two for $89.

I've never been, so I don't know how it compares to their regular prices.

Close to half price.

Close to half price.

I kind of thought so. My son went to the restaurant in Nashville a couple of times when he was going to school there; and I thought he said that the bill was around $55-$60 per person. And that was close to 10 years ago.

Surf and Turf at Jeff Ruby's at Belterra last week was $98.

My partner skimped and only got the surf (lobster) for $68.

I stuck with the cheap 'ol 14 oz New York Strip (Rare and Pittsburgh style with a light coating of melted blue cheese) for "only" $38. It was teriffic, incidentally!

The bill for both of us (including a few adult beverages) was $189 - before tip!

Don't want to show my age, but I remember considering $8 as being outrageous for a New York Strip in a nice restaurant.

Surf and Turf at Jeff Ruby's at Belterra last week was $98.

My partner skimped and only got the surf (lobster) for $68.

I stuck with the cheap 'ol 14 oz New York Strip (Rare and Pittsburgh style with a light coating of melted blue cheese) for "only" $38. It was teriffic, incidentally!

The bill for both of us (including a few adult beverages) was $189 - before tip!

Don't want to show my age, but I remember considering $8 as being outrageous for a New York Strip in a nice restaurant.

And I'm old enough to remember Little Tavern hamburgers in my hometown at three for a quarter. Not quite the same quality of eats, however.

I will admit, a few weeks ago when I was in San Antonio, I payed $95 for a steak. It was akaushi beef from a restaurant called Bohanans... one of the top steak establishments in the country.

Akaushi-beef1.jpg

We were the only restaurant in the country serving it for three years. Akaushi cattle, a national treasure in Japan, are raised within a forage grazing system with special attention to humane herd health, animal stress reduction and no growth hormones. A healthy diet and environment result in meat with superior marbling and texture. Akaushi beef is very tender, juicy and flavorful and is considered by the Japanese and many beef experts to be the most palatable, and yet healthy, beef in the world. Akaushi beef is significantly higher in monounsaturated and other beneficial fatty acids (Conjugated Linoleic Acid, Oleic Acid) and lower in saturated fatty acids than beef from all Western cattle breeds.

www.bohanans.com

The unconstrained marbling on those steaks is awesome. Was it worth the $95 bugatti?

I think I paid $75 for a steak at Burke's Chop House in Jackson, WY last year. It was a no-kidding 1 1/2 inch cut of meat, grilled perfectly, nearly bleeding. I ate it, a crumbled stilton cheese and walnut salad and drank a $75 bottle of wine by myself (Mrs. Hearsay got ill just before dinner and had to leave). Then I asked forgiveness for my gluttony.

The unconstrained marbling on those steaks is awesome. Was it worth the $95 bugatti?

Probably not; then again, I do not think any food is worth that much money. Although, if I were to ever pay $95 for a steak, this would be the one to eat. It was a 1 year anniversary celebration and I had to go for it. It looked just like the referenced picture and was too much to pass up.

I frequent our local butcher store a couple times a week. I would not rate the prime cuts of meat from there any less than what I got at this place.