Dead Period Question

Clyde

Do you care that many other families would like to have more of a choice for vacation?

Clyde,

With due respect, get over it. When the Dead Period was passed in the 1990s, it was set as June 25 to July 9. Coincided with research done on traditional factory shutdown in the South. The school people later came back and said they wanted "corresponding dates" instead. Tried it for two years. With coaching turnover, athletic staff turnover, and a majority of people who don't understand corresponding dates in years that the calendar "rolls over", like in 2008-2009, it was a sea of confusion. Couple that with what best can be described as some "intentional ignorance" on the part of coaches, and you had inconsistency throughout. So the schools again voted to change it back. The original, the change to corresponding, and the change back to fixed dates, all were votes of the member schools. Most seem to like the clarity of fixed dates. Some years, it hits mid-week. Tough stuff.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you care that many other families would like to have more of a choice for vacation?

High school athletes who play on traveling teams, primarily basketball and baseball, team camps, individual camps, team conditioning and whatever else you want to mention have no off season except for this dead period. My son attended a camp last week and my daughter is at a camp this week all during dead period. SO if not for dead period when do you take your vacation. We are not taking a family vacation this year. We are doing some day trips. Our choice...

Your choice is what you make.

I agree that the dead period needs to be longer and all choices need to be shut down for that period. No camps, AAU etc. Our society would be better if we spent a little more time on the porch with our neighbors than sitting on plastic and aluminum

Clyde,

With due respect, get over it. When the Dead Period was passed in the 1990s, it was set as June 25 to July 9. Coincided with research done on traditional factory shutdown in the South. The school people later came back and said they wanted "corresponding dates" instead. Tried it for two years. With coaching turnover, athletic staff turnover, and a majority of people who don't understand corresponding dates in years that the calendar "rolls over", like in 2008-2009, it was a sea of confusion. Couple that with what best can be described as some "intentional ignorance" on the part of coaches, and you had inconsistency throughout. So the schools again voted to change it back. The original, the change to corresponding, and the change back to fixed dates, all were votes of the member schools. Most seem to like the clarity of fixed dates. Some years, it hits mid-week. Tough stuff.

First, thank you for the "due respect" portion of you response.

Good info.

However, all you've done is explain why they do it the way they do.

No one has explained yet as to why it would be difficult to set the dates ahead of time and have them start on a Saturday and end on a Sunday. I don't buy the general thinking that "coaches aren't very smart so we have to keep it simple" thinking.

Families already make huge sacrifices when they have a child playing high school sports. I've done it and I'll do it again. Unlike when I was in high school, sports are now year round. There are positives to that but there are negatives as well. So we families agree to take vacations during dead period because, sadly, some coaches don't look favorably on a player missing practice in June. To make sure you student athlete doesn't get on the wrong side of the coach, you agree to take your vacation in 7 of those 14 days. However, if you want to take the family to , say, the beach and you want to get a condo you usually have to rent Saturday to Saturday. Oops. Now you've got a problem because you've only got one week that you can do that.

If someone can answer why its so darn difficult to have the dead period begin and end on a weekend without the coaches brains hurting, I'm all ears and likely to "get over it."

Otherwise, I look at it as head-in-the-sand thinking (or lack thereof).

High school athletes who play on traveling teams, primarily basketball and baseball, team camps, individual camps, team conditioning and whatever else you want to mention have no off season except for this dead period. My son attended a camp last week and my daughter is at a camp this week all during dead period. SO if not for dead period when do you take your vacation. We are not taking a family vacation this year. We are doing some day trips. Our choice...

Your choice is what you make.

I agree that the dead period needs to be longer and all choices need to be shut down for that period. No camps, AAU etc. Our society would be better if we spent a little more time on the porch with our neighbors than sitting on plastic and aluminum

I assume you realize that we are in complete agreement.

OK, I am NOT being specific here, but do have a question or two.

Can a high school baseball coach coach a summer team if NONE of the players on his summer team are from his own high school?

What if one or two players are from his high school team?

Other than pure ignorance, why did I think the end date for dead period was July 15? I know I have heard that date mentioned in the past at some point(maybe it's my anniversary or something :cool:).

Can a high school baseball coach coach a summer team if NONE of the players on his summer team are from his own high school?

Other than pure ignorance, why did I think the end date for dead period was July 15? I know I have heard that date mentioned in the past at some point(maybe it's my anniversary or something :cool:).

Yes

No (The coach or the players must take two weeks off)

I plead the 5th...:D

Not sure, but I wouldn't chance it.

Absolutely not.

Can't answer that one, now I do know of some schools who are not starting practice until the 14, which is a Monday, instead of starting in mid-week.

Bylaw 26. Summer Sports and Sports/Activities

Sec. 1) School Team Play in Summer

Member schools may participate in sanctioned play during the

summer to complete spring seasons in baseball, softball, tennis

and track and may begin sanctioned regular season play and

practice as de

fi ned by Bylaw 25 prior to the opening of school in

cheerleading, cross country, football, golf, soccer and volleyball.

Only participants eligible during the spring semester may compete

on the school teams. All KHSAA eligibility rules apply, and full

control of the summer program shall remain with the participating

high school and the principal of that school.

Sec. 2) Summer Dead Period

Students may not receive coaching or training from school

personnel (either salaried or non salaried) and school facilities,

uniforms, nicknames, transportation or equipment shall not be

used each year in any KHSAA sanctioned sport or cheerleading

squad during the period beginning with June 25, and going

through July 9. School funds may not be expended in support of

interscholastic athletics in any KHSAA sanctioned sport during

this period. These restrictions shall not apply to postseason wrapup

activities, celebrations and recognition events relating to a

spring sports team at a school which participated in KHSAA state

championship play in that particular sport during that particular

year.

(Case situations related to this bylaw appear on pages 19 through

43 of this Handbook)

The way I read it:

1. Yes

2. No

Sports are not mandatory and sacrifices are expected. You don't want to make the sacrifice, don't play. If extra vacation time is more important to you then preparation I probably wouldn't want you on my team anyway.

It's that simple.

So to answer your question, NO.

And I'll echo LBBC, if any change were made to the dead period it should be longer.

What about the fact that it says "School Personnel", it does not say "Personnel from the players school". I don't know for sure, but could it mean no school personnel from any school, anyone with school affiliation to any school.

If I coach baseball at school A and I have kid(s) on my summer team from school A. I either must take two weeks off or that kid(s) must take two weeks off. If I have all players from school B, I can continue to coach and they can continue to play through the dead period.

And no, if I'm a coach at school A and I have kids from team A on my team, I can't go out of state and play either.

Sports are not mandatory and sacrifices are expected. You don't want to make the sacrifice, don't play. If extra vacation time is more important to you then preparation I probably wouldn't want you on my team anyway.

It's that simple.

So to answer your question, NO.

And I'll echo LBBC, if any change were made to the dead period it should be longer.

Do you coach?

And quit with the "make sacrifice" stuff. Every family already makes sacrifices for their child to play high school sports.

What about the fact that it says "School Personnel", it does not say "Personnel from the players school". I don't know for sure, but could it mean no school personnel from any school, anyone with school affiliation to any school.

ANd that covers coaching across gender.

I could not coach the boys basketball team in a league even though I was hired as a girls' basketball coach.

The KHSAA HAS given one exception that I am familiar with.

Let's say I play for the club championship in golf at our local country club and I am the boys golf coach.

If the pairings come out and I am paired with one of my players, that is acceptable. We are allowed to play with each other while competing for that title.

At one point, I would be forced to withdraw from the tournament but the KHSAA did alter it's possession on that one.

Yes

No (The coach or the players must take two weeks off)

I plead the 5th...:D

OK. Then let me throw another wrinkle in the situation.

What if the one or two players were seniors that have already graduated and technically no longer a member of that high school?

Mods - I am not being specific. However, I suspect some of the NKY posters might know which program I am referencing without me saying anything that could get me banned for life. ;) If so, please PM me with how you believe it doesn't qualify as a violation.