Dead Period Question

Clyde

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty sure Kentucky takes the recommendation for dates from the National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS).

My understanding is that this is where the Dead Period dates and opening dates for seasons comes from.

I'm pretty sure Kentucky takes the recommendation for dates from the National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS).

My understanding is that this is where the Dead Period dates and opening dates for seasons comes from.

Any idea as to how they arrive at the dates?

The first year the KHSAA set the dead period, the start and end dates were on a Sunday, I believe. The KHSAA elected to keep the dates consistent instead of adjusting them to the calendar every year.

I know there's a lot to do if you work for the KHSAA but couldn't you simply put this "to do" onto an intern? How hard is it to schedule it to end on a Sunday?

I know there's a lot to do if you work for the KHSAA but couldn't you simply put this "to do" onto an intern? How hard is it to schedule it to end on a Sunday?
This way, it's easier for coaches, players and their families to remember the dates because they're the same every year.

Why does it matter when it ends? In football you can't start practice in anything other than a helmet until August 1 or the last week of July, depending on when school starts in your district.

This way, it's easier for coaches, players and their families to remember the dates because they're the same every year.

Most families of footballers plan vacation around the dead period. By keeping it static, you eliminate one of the weeks as a possibility. For example, this year it started on a Wednesday. It ends on a Tuesday. Since most families plan on a one week vacation and since most vacation rentals are from Saturday to Saturday, you've narrowed it down to only one week that a family can take that week-long vacation. Why?

I doubt 90% of the coaches could tell you the dates of the dead period about 3 months after it s passed. Therefore, they , like us, have to look it up each and every year.

Make it begin on a Saturday and end on a Sunday. Really - how hard is that?

Expand it, make it a complete 3 weeks. That way you always have two weekends that are available for vacations. I think 3 weeks would be good for everyone involved, coaches, players and parents.

Most families of footballers plan vacation around the dead period. By keeping it static, you eliminate one of the weeks as a possibility. For example, this year it started on a Wednesday. It ends on a Tuesday. Since most families plan on a one week vacation and since most vacation rentals are from Saturday to Saturday, you've narrowed it down to only one week that a family can take that week-long vacation. Why?

I doubt 90% of the coaches could tell you the dates of the dead period about 3 months after it s passed. Therefore, they , like us, have to look it up each and every year.

Make it begin on a Saturday and end on a Sunday. Really - how hard is that?[/QUOTE]

AMEN !! :thumb:

Expand it, make it a complete 3 weeks. That way you always have two weekends that are available for vacations. I think 3 weeks would be good for everyone involved, coaches, players and parents.

Agreed.

This way coaches can't feign ignorance of when the dead period starts and ends. It starts and ends on the same date every year, just like the first day of practice.

IMVHO this is one of the things that KHSAA has done correctly and it shouldn't be changed one bit.