Dead Period Question

Clyde

If the shoe fits....

Soundsl like the coaches in the buildings aren't being listened to then. Or maybe, they just haven't accepted that they don't have the final say. If the Principals and ADs who vote on this rule feel like it is best for their school and students, it really doesn't matter what the coach thinks. That's just the cold hard facts. Those individual school administrators who vote on these rules have a lot more to consider than just the whims and wishes of a single sport coach.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a coach I am happy with the dates of the dead period. I can tell you right now when the dead period is ten years from now. When I meet with my freshmen parents the first time, I tell them when the dead period is.

I too would like to see it changed to four weeks. I would love for kids to have some summer time to lay at the pool, but as a coach if the competition is working we need to be working harder.

Dead period ends the July 9th but fall sports like volleyball and soccer cannot practice until the 15th. They can continue conditioning but no practice. This is much like football and helmets.

As a coach I am happy with the dates of the dead period. I can tell you right now when the dead period is ten years from now. When I meet with my freshmen parents the first time, I tell them when the dead period is.

I too would like to see it changed to four weeks. I would love for kids to have some summer time to lay at the pool, but as a coach if the competition is working we need to be working harder.

Dead period ends the July 9th but fall sports like volleyball and soccer cannot practice until the 15th. They can continue conditioning but no practice. This is much like football and helmets.

Rock meet hard place.

Would love to let the kids lay at the pool for a few weeks and be kids but you are right. My toughest competitor is getting better while we would be laying at the pool.

Rock meet hard place.

Would love to let the kids lay at the pool for a few weeks and be kids but you are right. My toughest competitor is getting better while we would be laying at the pool.

Are practicing and laying around the pool mutually exclusive? Isn't it possible to practice several hours in the morning and then turn the kids loose to lay around the pool or do what ever they want to do? Sure, you can't go out of town on vacation and be at practice the same week, but the dead period is for vacation. And if you cannot, for some reason, schedule the vacation during the dead period, I'd think most coaches are okay with going on vacation and missing practice the week before or after dead period. At least I know that Mueller is. He'd prefer the kids take vacation during the dead period, but realizes that's not always possible and understands. Personally, I think any push for a longer dead period is motivated by the coaches wanting more down time than it is about the kids needing more down time.

Are practicing and laying around the pool mutually exclusive? Isn't it possible to practice several hours in the morning and then turn the kids loose to lay around the pool or do what ever they want to do? Sure, you can't go out of town on vacation and be at practice the same week, but the dead period is for vacation. And if you cannot, for some reason, schedule the vacation during the dead period, I'd think most coaches are okay with going on vacation and missing practice the week before or after dead period. At least I know that Mueller is. He'd prefer the kids take vacation during the dead period, but realizes that's not always possible and understands. Personally, I think any push for a longer dead period is motivated by the coaches wanting more down time than it is about the kids needing more down time.

When I say laying around the pool, I mean a GOOD period of time where the kid has no worries but to lay around the pool and be a kid. A lot of kids in the state are playing 3 sports and going full tilt 50 out of 52 weeks a year.

I don't think it harms anyone to take another two weeks and have those kids only going 48 out of 52 weeks.

When I say laying around the pool, I mean a GOOD period of time where the kid has no worries but to lay around the pool and be a kid. A lot of kids in the state are playing 3 sports and going full tilt 50 out of 52 weeks a year.

I don't think it harms anyone to take another two weeks and have those kids only going 48 out of 52 weeks.

I know of 7 or 8 Highlands football players laying around my pool last thursday and friday after they had weightlifting from 9 to noon. After swimming and hanging out in the pool several of them went fishing later that afternoon and evening. Point being these kids still get to do the thing's they like to do.

As a coach I am happy with the dates of the dead period. I can tell you right now when the dead period is ten years from now. .

Does that question get asked that far down the road?

If the state sent out a memo each January telling you when the dead period was for the upcoming year, would it be a burden on you to know that when asked by parents?

It just may harm them taking off 4 weeks right before they have to commence football practice at the hottest time of the year. There is a ton to be said about acclimation, and you don't get acclimated to the heat sitting around playing video games in AC, hanging out in malls, or even just laying around the pool. Again, I think this is more about coaches wanting more down time, not the kids. And my guess is that if we could take an honest survey of the coaches, we'd find that its not the coaches at the winning programs that want more down time. I'll let others conjecture if there is a correlation.

It just may harm them taking off 4 weeks right before they have to commence football practice at the hottest time of the year. There is a ton to be said about acclimation, and you don't get acclimated to the heat sitting around playing video games in AC, hanging out in malls, or even just laying around the pool. Again, I think this is more about coaches wanting more down time, not the kids. And my guess is that if we could take an honest survey of the coaches, we'd find that its not the coaches at the winning programs that want more down time. I'll let others conjecture if there is a correlation.

So, move the football season back.:sssh:

A 5-6 month long football season seems a little long.

As does a 5-6 month long basketball season.

4 weeks is too long, IMO.

Essentially, you'd have football players not being able to properly prepare for the upcoming season and, as LN stated, get acclimated to the weather.

You could have AAU basketball players that will be missing a coach or games. They also can't use the school's gym.

You could have summer baseball players that will be missing a coach or games. They also can't use the school's field.

Seems like a lot to give up for an entire month.

4 weeks is too long, IMO.

Essentially, you'd have football players not being able to properly prepare for the upcoming season and, as LN stated, get acclimated to the weather.

You could have AAU basketball players that will be missing a coach or games. They also can't use the school's gym.

You could have summer baseball players that will be missing a coach or games. They also can't use the school's field.

Seems like a lot to give up for an entire month.

I think this is the biggest part to look at, especially now with the helmet only rule till Aug. 1. Of course that opens a whole other can of worms to think about these next three weeks. Anyone else think tackling and pad level are going to be sloppy?

In the three years my son played at Trinity, I can honestly say it never occurred to me to question when we took vacation. We simply found out when the dead period was, and that's when we scheduled it. :lol:

Seemed like the reasonable thing to do to me...then I read your post where you 'never went anywhere anyway":lol::lol::lol:

My daughter and son played three sports through high school. They loved playing and wanted to play but there were many days in the summer when my daughter went to volleyball conditioning in the morning played two or three basketball games in the afternoon and went to softball practice that evening. The weekends were then 4-8 softball games depending on how well you played. The softball was travel ball and nothing to do with the dead period but I do not think another two weeks of dead period would have destroyed the volleyball or basketball season. We now have kids playing more games in the summer with their high school team than they do in season. Extend the dead period.