Dead Period Question

Clyde

Infamous decision on the dead period when it first came into play.

Cheerleaders from somewhere in the state wanted to wear their uniforms and march in the July 4th parade. Was told no because it was the school purchased uniform. They could buy on their own, tshirts and shorts and march in it.

I think the dead period is great and for the protection of the child.

Parents can count on that from June 25th to July 9th EVERY SINGLE YEAR that their child will have NOTHING in regards to HS athletics. They can schedule vacations and outings at that time and do not have to check on what date it is this year.

So you're OK with only have one full week to schedule your vacation if you want a Saturday through Saturday?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How certain are you that players cannot use the school's weightlifting facilities during the dead period?

If the cheerleaders cannot wear their cheerleading uniforms during the 4th of July parade, I am very certain the football team cannot used the weightlifting facilities.

Are cheerleading regulations covered by the KHSAA?

Yes.

Bylaw 26

Students may not receive coaching or training from school

personnel (either salaried or non salaried) and school facilities,

uniforms, nicknames, transportation or equipment shall not be

used each year in any KHSAA sanctioned sport or cheerleading

squad during the period beginning with June 25, and going

through July 9.

Yes.

Bylaw 26

Students may not receive coaching or training from school

personnel (either salaried or non salaried) and school facilities,

uniforms, nicknames, transportation or equipment shall not be

used each year in any KHSAA sanctioned sport or cheerleading

squad during the period beginning with June 25, and going

through July 9.

Those are tight rules. I would think it even prevents the football team or cheerleading squad from participating in a 4th of July parade if they were going to wear their uniforms or carry a banner with the school nickname on it. Sounds ridiculous, but given the current atmosphere with the KHSAA I wouldn't risk it unless I had written approval from them.

How do they come up with the dates for dead period? I was told that this year it ends this Tuesday. Why doesn't it end on the weekend?

The dead period includes Wed the 9th, so the first day they can practice is Thursday, not Wednesday, as I understand the rule.

Those are tight rules. I would think it even prevents the football team or cheerleading squad from participating in a 4th of July parade if they were going to wear their uniforms or carry a banner with the school nickname on it. Sounds ridiculous, but given the current atmosphere with the KHSAA I wouldn't risk it unless I had written approval from them.

I have already mentioned that when this first went into place, a group of cheerleaders asked and was denied the right to wear their uniforms.

It is tight and needs to be tight cause schools would find a way around it.

EVERYTHING should be denied and nothing should be allowed.

Two weeks that ALL HS athletics in all forms shuts down. That is ONLY two weeks out of 52.

Give the kids and parents and COACHES at least a 2 week break.