Obama Throwing Down The Race Card

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And if I thought b/c he is white and I would share some common experiences with him that that would be o-kay? I think not!

I think it would be okay, RebelK, for you to feel more comfortable for this reason. However, every president in your lifetime (my lifetime, all our lifetimes) has been white. Can you see how someone that is black might yearn to see how things might be if their president was similar in at least one way to them?

Let me toss in a sports analogy here. For those of you that follow college basketball, one of the many complaints that people had about Tubby Smith was that he largely ignored HS players from Kentucky. Why? We have many talented, worthy athletes that were not able to consider UK and ended up going somewhere else. Why did we want the KY boys on "our" team? Was it because we dislike players from outside our state? No. We like them just as well...we just feel more of a connection to our homegrown kids. Heck, it even makes us proud.

Historically, the black vote has been heavily democrat, anyway, so I think we are probably making too much out of this issue, IMO.

Edited by True blue (and gold)

I think it would be okay, RebelK, for you to feel more comfortable for this reason. However, every president in your lifetime (my lifetime, all our lifetimes) has been white. Can you see how someone that is black might yearn to see how things might be if their president was similar in at least one way to them?

Let me toss in a sports analogy here. For those of you that follow college basketball, one of the many complaints that people had about Tubby Smith is that he largely ignored HS players from Kentucky? Why? We have many talented, worthy athletes that were not able to consider UK and ended up going somewhere else. Why did we want the KY boys on "our" team? Was it because we dislike players from outside our state? No. We like them just as well...we just feel more of a connection to our homegrown kids. Heck, it even makes us proud.

Historically, the black vote has been heavily democrat, anyway, so I think we are probably making too much out of this issue, IMO.

I repectfully disagree...I don't think it's right to vote someone because of their race whether it be black or white. To say that you are voting for someone (Obama) because he will be the first black man just isn't right in my opinion.

Now if I said that I wasn't voting for Obama because he was black...how quick do you think there would be people jumping all over me? I'd say pretty darn quick but yet it's o-kay for someone to say they are voting for him because he is black like they are? I kinda think this is a double standard.

Or she may think b/c he is black he shares some commone experiences

So if a white person says they are going to vote for McCain because he is white thinking that he shares common experiences that's OK?

BTW how many of the "I'm voting for Obama because he is black" crowd share his prep schooling and Ivy League education experience?

Let me toss in a sports analogy here. For those of you that follow college basketball, one of the many complaints that people had about Tubby Smith was that he largely ignored HS players from Kentucky. Why? We have many talented, worthy athletes that were not able to consider UK and ended up going somewhere else. Why did we want the KY boys on "our" team? Was it because we dislike players from outside our state? No. We like them just as well...we just feel more of a connection to our homegrown kids. Heck, it even makes us proud.

Sorry but IMVHO this is just excuse making for racially prejudiced behavior.

I agree that it is biased, but not racist.

How is it not racist?

As has been stated ad nauseum by me and others, if I say I'm voting for McCain because he is white that's racist but if a black person says they are voting for Obama because he is black that's not racist. I don't get it?

What I do get is that as long as there are people that will bend over backwards to excuse that behavior it will continue.

How is it not racist?

As has been stated ad nauseum by me and others, if I say I'm voting for McCain because he is white that's racist but if a black person says they are voting for Obama because he is black that's not racist. I don't get it?

What I do get is that as long as there are people that will bend over backwards to excuse that behavior it will continue.

While I get what you are saying I would suggest that there is a slight difference if you look into the WHY of the situation.

If you are voting for someone because they are like you, it is not necessarily a racist vote.

If you are voting against someone because they are not like you it is a racist vote.

Now I'll agree that it is nearly impossible to determine the state of mind people have when they make that vote, but it does make difference to the nature of the vote.

How is it not racist?

Ok, All Tell, you made me break out the dictionary. (The American Heritage Dictionary, 1985)

Racism: The notion that one's own ethnic stock is superior.

Bias: A preference or inclination, esp. one that inhibits impartial judgement.

If someone that is black votes for Obama because they feel that the African-American race is superior to the "white" race, then they are making a racist vote. (Tiny percentage IMO)

If someone that is black votes for Obama because they feel that a black candidate aligns more with their own experiences, they are making a biased vote. (Small percentage IMO)

If someone that is black votes for Obama because he is a democrat and that historically blacks vote for democrats, then that is just history. (Large percentage IMO)

Change the examples and interject "white" with "black" and vice versa. If anyone votes for McCain because he is white and they feel that he is more aligned with their own experiences, it won't bother me. Again, it's a bias, just those people that are one issue voters (i.e. abortion or war in Iraq) are biased toward their issue. If someone that is white votes for McCain because they think "whites" are superior to blacks, then that's racist...and yes, there will be a tiny percentage of people that do this.

FWIW, we all have biases...some stronger than others.

How can Obama play the race card? He's white and so is McCain.

So, HHSDad, even though Obama, being from a mixed background, refers to himself as black, you do not accept this? I know that you are making some sort of point and I am willing to discuss it. I have some thoughts of my own that I might interject, too.

So, HHSDad, even though Obama, being from a mixed background, refers to himself as black, you do not accept this? I know that you are making some sort of point and I am willing to discuss it. I have some thoughts of my own that I might interject, too.

I'm really tired of hearing him called the Black candidate. Why not call him the Bi-Racial candidate? Or the I Was Raised BY My White Grandparents candidate? Or The Candidate With The Chinese-Canadian Stepsister? The only race card I see being played is the one he is playing to represent himself as the first Black nominee for President.

Come on, TB&G. It's more of the "I'm untouchable" from Obama, not to mention it reeks of calling the Republicans racist. .

Isn't he probably just going off of recent history about how SOME Republicans use race in elections? You do remember the phone calls Rove orchestrated on behalf of then-candidate Bush when running again now-candidate McCain, right? "Did you know McCain has a black daughter?"

Surely we don't think everything has changed in 8 years. Race will come up either directly or indirectly.

Isn't he probably just going off of recent history about how SOME Republicans use race in elections? You do remember the phone calls Rove orchestrated on behalf of then-candidate Bush when running again now-candidate McCain, right? "Did you know McCain has a black daughter?"

Surely we don't think everything has changed in 8 years. Race will come up either directly or indirectly.

Republicans have been using race in elections since the Nixon years. Nothing has changed.