Difference in Kobe and Michael

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don’t think defenses are the same they use to be. Rule changes have made the game more offensive because offense sells tickets (just like in the NFL with pass interference calls). Defensive 3 seconds... not around with Jordan... Hand checking calls... none existent in Jordan Era. If you go back and watch some of the D played on MJ that wasn’t called a foul, its crazy compared to today. If they did some of those things today it would be a Flagrant 2 foul and the person would be ejected. lol

There was also no zone defense when Jordan played.

Jordan was and is the greatest to have played the sport the same as Kobe is one of the best offensive players to have played in the league. Just because Kobe doesn't post doesn't mean anything, the game of basketball has changed dramatically in the past 10+ years. Now many quote on quote post players play facing the basket and take jumpers, its just a totally different game then it was ten, twenty, thirty years ago and now the league is nothing but a bunch of freak athletes instead of just solid fundamental players. I know I'm going to get it but hopefully as should be someone will be here to get my back when I say offensively there may not be a better player to have played the game than Kobe Bryant and I'm not even a huge Kobe fan at all. For him to do what he does in todays game is simply unbelievable. I mean its hard to criticize a guy that dumps 81 in a game and say he needs to develop more offensive attributes. Bryant has so much range and can score in so many facets. Like I said not knocking Jordan but it is certainly not fair to knock Kobe who IMO may be the best offensive player to ever played in the NBA. I would just love to see Jordan in his prime in todays game that IMO has changed dramatically since even Jordan's era.

Great post.

Ehlo:jump::jump::jump:

Russell at Utah did a good job on him. What are the size differences between Pierce and Russell? Who guarded Jordan for Detroit??

I think Kobe could have made some quick moves and rose above Pierce before the double team arrived. He could have also handled the double team and hit Odom/Gasol cutting to the basket. From a stationary position (the post) it is easier to make that pass to the cutter as the double team is coming at you than it is on the drive.

I am NOT saying that he should have been there the entire game but when it was obvious that they game plan was not working, try him on the post. But since Coaching guru did not make that call, it seems logical that Kobe's post game is not on par with Jordan's.

Not valid...the post-up didn't become a huge part of Jordan's game until he returned from retirement. Prior to that, his game was far more similar to what Kobe's game currently is.

In addition to that, the Bulls never really had a post player like Pau Gasol. Prior to MJ's retirement, Horace Grant was the PF and Bill Cartwright the C...Grant was not a back-to-the-basket player and Cartwright wasn't a dominating post presence. After returning from his retirement, they had Rodman who wasn't an offensive player at all...Jordan was the Bulls best post player. The makeup of the teams are quite different.

There's nothing else Kobe could have done, except make more jump shots (as GT already stated). The Celtics were just the better team in 2008. Kobe's supporting cast didn't give him the help he needed, and it allowed the Celtics to make things even tougher on him than it would have already been. There is nothing to do other than give the C's the credit they deserve...they were the best team all regular season and after a rough first two rounds, they re-asserted themselves in the conference and NBA finals and proved they were the best team this year.

Here is what Jordan had during run 1:

PG John Paxson/BJ Armstrong

SG The man from North Carolina

SF Scottie Pippen

PF Horace Grant

C Bill Cartwright.

In the 2nd edition he had:

PG Ron Harper/Steve Kerr

SG Michael Jordan

SF Scottie Pippen

PF Dennis Rodman/Tony Kukoc

C Luc Longley.

Jordan had better defensive teams than Kobe had this year. Jordan was also a much better team leader during this run. However, to compare Kobe to Jordan on the basis of this series is unfair. Jordan never ran into a team in the finals like this year's Cs. They have 3 of the Top 15 players of our generation. They were the best defensive team since the Bad Boys to win it all, and they had a great mix of role players. The closest team that Jordan played were the Jazz from '97-'98. They had Stockton and Malone, but their third option was Hornacek. Not really Ray Allen. Jordan was the greatest clutch player that I ever watched, he was the greatest competitor this side of Bill Russell, and he was the most complete player since Oscar Robertson. Kobe is the best player of his generation. He just happens to be a notch below Jordan as a team leader. He just doesn't know how to win like MJ did. But to bash him, or doubt his skills in nonsense.

Here is what Jordan had during run 1:

PG John Paxson/BJ Armstrong

SG The man from North Carolina

SF Scottie Pippen

PF Horace Grant

C Bill Cartwright.

In the 2nd edition he had:

PG Ron Harper/Steve Kerr

SG Michael Jordan

SF Scottie Pippen

PF Dennis Rodman/Tony Kukoc

C Luc Longley.

Jordan had better defensive teams than Kobe had this year. Jordan was also a much better team leader during this run. However, to compare Kobe to Jordan on the basis of this series is unfair. Jordan never ran into a team in the finals like this year's Cs. They have 3 of the Top 15 players of our generation. They were the best defensive team since the Bad Boys to win it all, and they had a great mix of role players. The closest team that Jordan played were the Jazz from '97-'98. They had Stockton and Malone, but their third option was Hornacek. Not really Ray Allen. Jordan was the greatest clutch player that I ever watched, he was the greatest competitor this side of Bill Russell, and he was the most complete player since Oscar Robertson. Kobe is the best player of his generation. He just happens to be a notch below Jordan as a team leader. He just doesn't know how to win like MJ did. But to bash him, or doubt his skills in nonsense.

This is a great post. Kobe is the best player since MJ. That should be a compliment, not a downfall for not being as good as him.

I am talking strictly scoring the ball. Kobe is a better shooter than MJ ever was.

Based on what??? Jordan averaged more points per game than Kobe for a career and during Kobe's best year. Therefore, speaking of strictly scoring the ball, Kobe was not better. Now as a shooter, what do you base that on? 3pt field goal %? Jordan only hit 33% for his career, while Kobe has hit 34%. Jordan hit 49.7% of his career FGA, while Kobe has hit 45% of his FGA. The stats aren't truly in your favor. You must remember that Jordan's ability to post up and hit turnaround jumpers, as well as midlevel jumpers were unmatched by other 2 guards. Look at Jordan's stats.

Jordan was and is the greatest to have played the sport the same as Kobe is one of the best offensive players to have played in the league. Just because Kobe doesn't post doesn't mean anything, the game of basketball has changed dramatically in the past 10+ years. Now many quote on quote post players play facing the basket and take jumpers, its just a totally different game then it was ten, twenty, thirty years ago and now the league is nothing but a bunch of freak athletes instead of just solid fundamental players. I know I'm going to get it but hopefully as should be someone will be here to get my back when I say offensively there may not be a better player to have played the game than Kobe Bryant and I'm not even a huge Kobe fan at all. For him to do what he does in todays game is simply unbelievable. I mean its hard to criticize a guy that dumps 81 in a game and say he needs to develop more offensive attributes. Bryant has so much range and can score in so many facets. Like I said not knocking Jordan but it is certainly not fair to knock Kobe who IMO may be the best offensive player to ever played in the NBA. I would just love to see Jordan in his prime in todays game that IMO has changed dramatically since even Jordan's era.

:thumb:

I am talking strictly scoring the ball. Kobe is a better shooter than MJ ever was.

No he's not. Kobe doesn't have the advantage over Jordan anywhere with the exception of shooting range/3-pointers...

They have a lot of similarities as players, but Kobe isn't quite at MJ's level. He may get there at some point, but he's not there now.

Based on what??? Jordan averaged more points per game than Kobe for a career and during Kobe's best year. Therefore, speaking of strictly scoring the ball, Kobe was not better. Now as a shooter, what do you base that on? 3pt field goal %? Jordan only hit 33% for his career, while Kobe has hit 34%. Jordan hit 49.7% of his career FGA, while Kobe has hit 45% of his FGA. The stats aren't truly in your favor. You must remember that Jordan's ability to post up and hit turnaround jumpers, as well as midlevel jumpers were unmatched by other 2 guards. Look at Jordan's stats.

:thumb: :thumb: