Difference in Kobe and Michael

So basically you are blaming Gasol and Odom for not doing their jobs on Kobe, makes a lot of sense. Kobe is not going to be able to play in the post agaisnt Pierce, let alone having the best team defense in the NBA lead by KG and Perkins backing him up, he wasn't going to score in the paint if he wasn't hitting his jumper, if your going to blame Kobes lack of scoring on anything blame it on the 3 for 18 he had shooting jump shots today.

Okay, falling your logic, if your scorer is having a bad shooting day, the only option is to have him continue to fire up shots that he is missing??????

When MJ was not hitting, he went to the post, IRREGARDLESS who was guarding him and scored.

Why can Kobe not score on Pierce? Why should the best player on the planet not be able to go to the post 5-6-8 times a game and get a basket on Paul Pierce? Is Paul Pierce some superhuman basketball player?

Kobe works on his game like he works on teenage girls in hotels and he could be a very effective weapon from the low post next season.

Again, if I have my choice of the ball in Kobe's hands on the low post instead of Gasol or Odom, I would go for that and feel more comfortable with it.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jordan wouldn't have been able to post in this series (in his prime and on this team) if he didn't get his jumper going. Not sure how you are missing that...

There were games Jordan started IN THE POST.

I am not sure how hitting a jumper translates to being able to post with your back to the basket.

Jumpers sure help your ability to drive.

Okay, falling your logic, if your scorer is having a bad shooting day, the only option is to have him continue to fire up shots that he is missing??????

When MJ was not hitting, he went to the post, IRREGARDLESS who was guarding him and scored.

Why can Kobe not score on Pierce? Why should the best player on the planet not be able to go to the post 5-6-8 times a game and get a basket on Paul Pierce? Is Paul Pierce some superhuman basketball player?

Kobe works on his game like he works on teenage girls in hotels and he could be a very effective weapon from the low post next season.

Again, if I have my choice of the ball in Kobe's hands on the low post instead of Gasol or Odom, I would go for that and feel more comfortable with it.[/QUOTE]

He is when he has the best defense in the league making sure he won't get any baskets. Why would you be so comfortable with the ball in Kobes hands in the post if you fell he can't score in the post. If its up to me, Id rather have the guys making their living in the post, rather than the best permeiter player in the game.

There were games Jordan started IN THE POST.

I am not sure how hitting a jumper translates to being able to post with your back to the basket.

Jumpers sure help your ability to drive.

You've said it yourself. There was very little need to guard Gasol or Odom if Kobe was posting. He'd have a bigger guy on him in Pierce and a low post defensive force in help or a clear double.

When it comes to this era, a guy like Kobe (or Jordan if he was in his prime now) is faced with how big the elite players on the wing are compared to 15 years ago. Who was the best at defending Jordan in the post? John Starks? Case closed...

He is when he has the best defense in the league making sure he won't get any baskets. Why would you be so comfortable with the ball in Kobes hands in the post if you fell he can't score in the post. If its up to me, Id rather have the guys making their living in the post, rather than the best permeiter player in the game.

Cause Kobe is the best player in the world. That simple.

On your last point, are you saying you would have moved Jordan out of the post and put Luc Longley down there as a better option?????

You've said it yourself. There was very little need to guard Gasol or Odom if Kobe was posting. He'd have a bigger guy on him in Pierce and a low post defensive force in help or a clear double.

When it comes to this era, a guy like Kobe (or Jordan if he was in his prime now) is faced with how big the elite players on the wing are compared to 15 years ago. Who was the best at defending Jordan in the post? John Starks? Case closed...

Ehlo:jump::jump::jump:

Russell at Utah did a good job on him. What are the size differences between Pierce and Russell? Who guarded Jordan for Detroit??

I think Kobe could have made some quick moves and rose above Pierce before the double team arrived. He could have also handled the double team and hit Odom/Gasol cutting to the basket. From a stationary position (the post) it is easier to make that pass to the cutter as the double team is coming at you than it is on the drive.

I am NOT saying that he should have been there the entire game but when it was obvious that they game plan was not working, try him on the post. But since Coaching guru did not make that call, it seems logical that Kobe's post game is not on par with Jordan's.

If there is one thing that seperates these two IMO it is there will, MJ was able to will his team to championships, regardless of what he had going, but then again, he also didn't face a team like the Celtics with three probable future hall of famers, He also had a guy named Pippen to play along with, with a great supporting cast.

I wouldnt say that Ray Allen is a Hall of Famer. And I think Stockton and Malone were a pretty good combo.

Jordan was and is the greatest to have played the sport the same as Kobe is one of the best offensive players to have played in the league. Just because Kobe doesn't post doesn't mean anything, the game of basketball has changed dramatically in the past 10+ years. Now many quote on quote post players play facing the basket and take jumpers, its just a totally different game then it was ten, twenty, thirty years ago and now the league is nothing but a bunch of freak athletes instead of just solid fundamental players. I know I'm going to get it but hopefully as should be someone will be here to get my back when I say offensively there may not be a better player to have played the game than Kobe Bryant and I'm not even a huge Kobe fan at all. For him to do what he does in todays game is simply unbelievable. I mean its hard to criticize a guy that dumps 81 in a game and say he needs to develop more offensive attributes. Bryant has so much range and can score in so many facets. Like I said not knocking Jordan but it is certainly not fair to knock Kobe who IMO may be the best offensive player to ever played in the NBA. I would just love to see Jordan in his prime in todays game that IMO has changed dramatically since even Jordan's era.

I don’t think defenses are the same they use to be. Rule changes have made the game more offensive because offense sells tickets (just like in the NFL with pass interference calls). Defensive 3 seconds... not around with Jordan... Hand checking calls... none existent in Jordan Era. If you go back and watch some of the D played on MJ that wasn’t called a foul, its crazy compared to today. If they did some of those things today it would be a Flagrant 2 foul and the person would be ejected. lol