Difference in Kobe and Michael

Kobe's game seems to be 3's and drives to the basket and I hardly ever see him posting up.

But Michael would consistently be posting up and putting himself in a position that other teams could not take him out of the offensive game.

For Kobe to seriously be mentioned in the same breath with Michael, he needs a complete game that means he can drive to the basket, knock down 3's, dish to his teammates and post up. Where a defense cannot take him out of the game as Boston was able to do.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posting up had nothing to do with this series. Pierce spent most of his time on Kobe, and that wasn't going to be an option. Not sure where you come up with some of this stuff lbbc...

Kobe, the supposed MVP, disappeared for too much of this series.

Your post indicates my point. Kobe is limited on what he can do.

Michael was not. He did what he wanted to do and made the other team adjust.

Kobe, the supposed MVP, disappeared for too much of this series.

Your post indicates my point. Kobe is limited on what he can do.

Michael was not. He did what he wanted to do and made the other team adjust.

There's only one comparison for what you're trying to prove. Kobe wasn't going to post Pierce, and the Cs as a team took away the lane. If he hits jumpers he defeats that game plan and they have to readjust. That's the beef if you want to make it...

There's only one comparison for what you're trying to prove. Kobe wasn't going to post Pierce, and the Cs as a team took away the lane. If he hits jumpers he defeats that game plan and they have to readjust. That's the beef if you want to make it...

Pierce guarding Jordan and you don't think Jordan makes his way to the post.

:thumb:

I will take Kobe has a scorer over MJ.

Not with Jordan missing jumpers and the way the Cs played team D to shut it down...

So, either is not hitting jumpers and they have taken the lane away and as a coach you still are firing away with the same failing game plan????

I disagree. Kobe SHOULD be able to post up and score against Pierce. I am not talking every time down the floor but enough to mix it up and give the C's a different look. Instead what we saw was the same look every time down the court.

So, either is not hitting jumpers and they have taken the lane away and as a coach you still are firing away with the same failing game plan????

I disagree. Kobe SHOULD be able to post up and score against Pierce. I am not talking every time down the floor but enough to mix it up and give the C's a different look. Instead what we saw was the same look every time down the court.

With the Mr softie performances by Odom and Gasol, why in the hell would the Cs not send major help on that match up? The only chance to open other things up was for Kobe to hit jumpers to pull them out of what was consistently working.

You tell me to stick to sports. I tell you to stick to P&R... :p

With the Mr softie performances by Odom and Gasol, why in the hell would the Cs not send major help on that match up? The only chance to open other things up was for Kobe to hit jumpers to pull them out of what was consistently working.

You tell me to stick to sports. I tell you to stick to P&R... :p

I agree that Odom and Gasol were major softies and point A and B on why the Lakers lost.

And when that strategy is consistently not working, you need a 3rd option and posting Kobe wasn't it.

Plus, posting Kobe, moving him around the floor, means the Celtics have to run different defensive sets to run somebody at him. You want your scorer to get the ball in places that he can score and you might have to run different offensive sets to do that.

I will ask it a different way. In most games, is posting Kobe a major option??? It does not seem to be.

But for Michael, he could go with any of the 3 options. Kobe seems to be limited to two unless a much smaller player were guarding him. For Michael, it didn't seem to matter who was guarding him, he was going to do what he wanted to do.

You just want me to stick to P & R and stay out of sports, cause you don't intimidate me.:p:jump::D:lol::lol::lol: I am as stubborn and opionated as you.:p:p

I agree that Odom and Gasol were major softies and point A and B on why the Lakers lost.

And when that strategy is consistently not working, you need a 3rd option and posting Kobe wasn't it.

Plus, posting Kobe, moving him around the floor, means the Celtics have to run different defensive sets to run somebody at him. You want your scorer to get the ball in places that he can score and you might have to run different offensive sets to do that.

I will ask it a different way. In most games, is posting Kobe a major option??? It does not seem to be.

But for Michael, he could go with any of the 3 options. Kobe seems to be limited to two unless a much smaller player were guarding him. For Michael, it didn't seem to matter who was guarding him, he was going to do what he wanted to do.

You just want me to stick to P & R and stay out of sports, cause you don't intimidate me.:p:jump::D:lol::lol::lol: I am as stubborn and opionated as you.:p:p

MJ didn't have many guys like Prince and Pierce guarding him in his day, and when it was an option Pippen killed them for putting the bigger SF on MJ. Odom? Not so much.

Please stay. You are quite often so clearly wrong on sports it's fun to smack you around knowing you won't back down... :banana:

MJ didn't have many guys like Prince and Pierce guarding him in his day, and when it was an option Pippen killed them for putting the bigger SF on MJ. Odom? Not so much.

Please stay. You are quite often so clearly wrong on sports it's fun to smack you around knowing you won't back down... :banana:

I agree that Odom is a major issue on the Lakers if they want to be the dominate team in the NBA.

There were not slouches guarding Michael once they got into the playoffs.

Someday I would like to visit the reality you post in that is so very different than the actual world.:p:p:p I wish I had my emoticon giving a raspberry.:lol::lol::lol:

So the reason MJ is far better than Kobe is because Kobe had zero chance to post up on Pierce with KG or Perkins helping because they had free reign?

They forced him to hit jumpers. He didn't. When teams made MJ do that, he killed them from the perimeter and reopened the lane for driving and posting. You used to coach hoops? Yikes... :D

So the reason MJ is far better than Kobe is because Kobe had zero chance to post up on Pierce with KG or Perkins helping because they had free reign?

They forced him to hit jumpers. He didn't. When teams made MJ do that, he killed them from the perimeter and reopened the lane for driving and posting. You used to coach hoops? Yikes... :D

Michael was better because he was an overall better offensive weapon that was equal on his ability to hit jumpers, post up and drive. Kobe is not the same offensive weapon from the post with is back to the basket that Michael was.

That is my point.

But you point out my problem in this discussion. To paraphrase Tracy Jones, I used to coach this game and you did not. I can understand were Marvin is coming from in trying to explain coaching nuisances of the game to a reporter.:D:cool::p;):lol::jump::flame: