What if....? (Religious Question)

I believe that Revelation 22: 18 and 19 sums it up: "I warn everyone who hears the words of this prophecy of this book: If anyone adds anything to them, God will add to him the plagues described in this book. And if anyone take words away from this book of prophecy, God will take away from him his share in the tree of life and in the holy city, which are described in this book". That's all I need to know. I'm not into added to or taking away from the Holy Bible. What is written in the Holy Bible, is written and I take it as the Holy Word.

AMEN!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back when the movie came out, Christians were upset and people couldn't understand why a Christian would be upset by a fictional work.

The thought of this thread being a what if and allowing a mindset to creep in that shows Jesus to be something other than the only Savior for this world and leading to the loss of souls who would buy into it, is a prime example of why Christians were upset.

I suppose I can't quite figure out why it would be so bad if there was a blood line of Jesus. What if he were married? What if he did have a child? What would be so wrong with that?

I know I am a Catholic but that doesn't stop me from having my own opinions. I think Jesus had such a hard life and struggled so much for all of us, that I just hope that he did find someone to love.

Perhaps someone could explain to me why him being married and why him having a child would have been so bad. Truly, I have never figure out why so many people are so set against that.

I will take a stab at it.

Jesus was a person who was about love and grace, power and authority. He purposely and KNOWINGLY came to Earth from Heaven to be a sacrifice for all to have a chance of eternal salvation in Heaven.

While on Earth, he healed, rose from the dead, fed people both spiritually and physically. He put others before him.

How selfish would it be of him, knowing, he was going to be crucified to have married and had a child?

How selfish would it be of him, to KNOW that he was going to leave that child fatherless?

How selfish would it be of him in that culture to leave his wife as a widow, KNOWING he was going to be killed?

I find Jesus having a family of wife and child to stand in stark contrast to everything we know of Jesus.

And to compound that, we have Jesus, FROM THE CROSS, making plans for his mother to be taken care of. And his wife and CHILD NOT?????

If Jesus had a child and did not make plans for that child to be taken care of as he did his mother, than Jesus is not the Jesus that is described in the Bible, from Genesis, to Revelations.

I will take a stab at it.

Jesus was a person who was about love and grace, power and authority. He purposely and KNOWINGLY came to Earth from Heaven to be a sacrifice for all to have a chance of eternal salvation in Heaven.

While on Earth, he healed, rose from the dead, fed people both spiritually and physically. He put others before him.

How selfish would it be of him, knowing, he was going to be crucified to have married and had a child?

How selfish would it be of him, to KNOW that he was going to leave that child fatherless?

How selfish would it be of him in that culture to leave his wife as a widow, KNOWING he was going to be killed?

I find Jesus having a family of wife and child to stand in stark contrast to everything we know of Jesus.

And to compound that, we have Jesus, FROM THE CROSS, making plans for his mother to be taken care of. And his wife and CHILD NOT?????

If Jesus had a child and did not make plans for that child to be taken care of as he did his mother, than Jesus is not the Jesus that is described in the Bible, from Genesis, to Revelations.

I think this is a great post lbbs...people always just get upset and say it can't be possible. But, I think you just showed a great logical answer to this question without even needed fact. I have never really heard someone make this assumption before and I think its a darn good one.

My grandpa once drew for me a small cirlce on a big piece of blank paper..."This circle represents everything you know" he said. "As you learn more the cirlce get a little bigger, and a little bigger, and a little bigger...but there comes a point when it gets just big enough and you have a pretty good amount of knowledge. But, then you look at the rest of the paper and realize, wow I really don't know anything" lol.

I am probably one of the biggest Christians on this board...I just really don't think if it was true that he had a child that Jesus would mean any less to me. He still performed miracles, still died for my sins and rose again and I would still believe in him as my Lord and Savior.

I just feel there is sometimes manipulation by the church for whatever reasons...not just on this topic, but you know what I mean and that is just what I was trying to have people discuss. Went pretty well I thought.

I am probably one of the biggest Christians on this board...I just really don't think if it was true that he had a child that Jesus would mean any less to me. He still performed miracles, still died for my sins and rose again and I would still believe in him as my Lord and Savior.

I just feel there is sometimes manipulation by the church for whatever reasons...not just on this topic, but you know what I mean and that is just what I was trying to have people discuss. Went pretty well I thought.

If you are a Christian I do not see how you would even consider that Jesus had a child.

If you are a Christian I do not see how you would even consider that Jesus had a child.

Christians also don't judge others or their beliefs...This is a whole different story...but if I did believe he had a child (which I don't) how would that make me any less of a Christian. To be a christian all you must simply do is believe that Jesus is your Savior...

To be a christian all you must simply do is believe that Jesus is your Savior...

That's debatable. Maybe a Christian in name, but to be a practicing Christian, you have to do more than accept Jesus as your Savior. Faith is nothing without works IMO.

That's debatable. Maybe a Christian in name, but to be a practicing Christian, you have to do more than accept Jesus as your Savior. Faith is nothing without works IMO.

According to the book of James you are exactly right. "Faith without works is dead" and "even the devils believe, and tremble."

Faith alone, no. Works alone, no. Faith, grace, and works, yes.

Christians also don't judge others or their beliefs...This is a whole different story...but if I did believe he had a child (which I don't) how would that make me any less of a Christian. To be a christian all you must simply do is believe that Jesus is your Savior...

No, you must do more than merely believe. You must also ask forgiveness. Mere belief is not enough.

No, you must do more than merely believe. You must also ask forgiveness. Mere belief is not enough.

You are right...I mean you could list out a humungous post listing all the things you are supposed to do and what not, but I didn't think I needed to do that. Just not right to judge someone and question if they are a christian if they are simply saying would it really be that big of a deal if he did?

That's all I am asking (and like I said I don't even believe it to be true) but the reason I ask is because I enjoy learning more from people who know more than me...and then all of a sudden I must not be a good Christian just because I asked a question.

You are right...I mean you could list out a humungous post listing all the things you are supposed to do and what not, but I didn't think I needed to do that. Just not right to judge someone and question if they are a christian if they are simply saying would it really be that big of a deal if he did?

That's all I am asking (and like I said I don't even believe it to be true) but the reason I ask is because I enjoy learning more from people who know more than me...and then all of a sudden I must not be a good Christian just because I asked a question.

I get that all the time. :lol:

You are right. Sometimes it is like you are surrounded by Job's friends. :thumb:

Scripture indicates that even Satan's demons believe in Jesus.

I agree with Hearsay on belief not being enough.

I was at an FCA camp this past week and they made an interesting point.

I have always been taught there is two choices with Jesus. Reject and believe.

But they countered that there is really a 3rd choice and what they challenged the teens and coaches to do. FOLLOW!

I liked that.

I get that all the time. :lol:

You are right. Sometimes it is like you are surrounded by Job's friends. :thumb:

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Outside of a few people on BGP - I've know Hatz longer than anyone. He also knows my faith and to be quite honest my ability to be nosey about most everything but fair. So in the hopes that everyone will be fair with me......here goes...............................

I suppose I don't think that it's wrong to question but neither is it right to question a person's faith just because they do question.

I cannot understand how anyone gets through an entire day without having a conversation with God about something. I could never have gotten through my recent surgery if my faith wasn't the strongest thing about me. My second strongest thing (if anyone knows me well) is my wanting to know everything about everything:D I don't see what is wrong about asking questions and I don't think that it's wrong to provoke a discussion.

I still don't see how it could be so bad if he did have a wife and a child. I've read all the comments and they are wonderful comments but I just don't want my faith questioned because I have questions.