Today's "Worst Person in the World!"

Birdsfan

Okay, technically, Keith Overneyer is the "worst person in the world;" but this loony teacher is right up there!! :madman: What kind of a teacher stands a 5-year-old in front of the class while they all throw verbal barbs at him, and then vote him out of the class?! :irked:

It sounds like somebody has been watching too many reality shows. Namely, Wendy Portillo, a teacher at Morningside Elementary in Port St. Lucie, Florida. She turned her kindergarten classroom into a cruel version of Survivor by allowing her students to vote a fellow student out of the class.

The banished child is 5-year-old Alex Barton, who is in the process of being diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome, a high-functioning type of autism. Not uncommon to his condition, Alex has had some behavioral issues and as a result, spends a lot of time in the principal's office.

http://www.parentdish.com/2008/05/27/students-vote-autistic-5-year-old-out-of-class/

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just seem to think there is probably more to the story than what we're hearing.

Still no right to make a 5 year old stand up in front of his class and be voted out by his classmates. No matter the situation, that shouldn't have happened.

This type of incident continues to show the ignorance of some people. This teacher is an disgrace to the profession and the human race. As some of you know, my son has autism and this type of behavior outrages me. I spend a great deal of time educating the people who work with my son about his condition and how best to help him. This type of behavior from someone who parents entrust to care and teach their children is inexcusable. I am a public school teacher and graduate student in school administration. As a professional if I was faced with this situation and the facts were as presented in this article, I would fire the teacher immediately. As a parent, I'm not sure if I would be able to control myself. Even without the diagnosis of autism, no 5 year old child should be subjected to that kind of ridicule and humiliation. It amazes me sometimes to see the kind of people who find their way into public education. I know there are alot of parents and teachers that read these message boards. For you, I have some advice. If you are the parent of a special needs child, please know your rights and become an expert on your child's condition. Do not let the school system railroad you or deny your child the services and respect they deserve. Teachers, learn about your students. Take the time to listen to the parents of special needs children and learn about their disabilities on your own. Take the time to do the extra things to help that child succeed. Not only is it the correct moral and ethical thign to do, it is the law. I would like to say that all teachers do this, but that is not reality. If anyone out there is in a situation like this and needs advice, help, or just someone to talk to PM me and I will help as best as I can.

Its sad... but I forsee this trend continuing. As long as we continue to pay teachers the way we are we are going to continue to see idiots move into the profession.

Teachers need to be paid based on merit not on YEARS OF SERVICE!!!! (but thats for another discussion!)

From the article.

Incredibly, an investigation by the state attorney's office concluded that Alex's treatment did not meet the criteria for emotional child abuse and no charges have been filed. I don't know what the criteria for emotional abuse is, but if this doesn't meet it, what does? My heart breaks for all the children involved in this incident

I agree whole heartedly. If this isn't emotional abuse, then what the heck is. It's good to see that there were two children that were smarter than the teacher, and voted to keep the kid. Stuff like this just infuriates me. How could anyone want someone like that teaching their child?

Asperger's Syndrome is a form of autism that may be difficult to recognize. The person appears to be intelligent and functional, but their social skills are almost nil. They have trouble with social interaction, have no understanding of tact and diplomacy and are often considered to be just rude, insensitive people. You see this same behavior in other autistics.

The problem I see is the child was in the progress of being diagnosed. I don't know that before the diagnosis, the school would even be able to use the tools available to it to deal with the child. However, the teacher's humiliation act was way over the top. I don't think I'd want her teaching kindergarten at my school.

Asperger's Syndrome is a form of autism that may be difficult to recognize. The person appears to be intelligent and functional, but their social skills are almost nil. They have trouble with social interaction, have no understanding of tact and diplomacy and are often considered to be just rude, insensitive people. You see this same behavior in other autistics.
It's so ironic that this issue is coming up at this time. Yesterday morning, I had the opportunity to spend some time with a group of people who have Asperger's. Outwardly, they seemed perfectly normal. You would never know from a brief interaction, that there was anything different about them. I know that people with this condition have certain personality issues; but the people I met were all very nice and pleasent to be around.

It's so ironic that this issue is coming up at this time. Yesterday morning, I had the opportunity to spend some time with a group of people who have Asperger's. Outwardly, they seemed perfectly normal. You would never know from a brief interaction, that there was anything different about them. I know that people with this condition have certain personality issues; but the people I met were all very nice and pleasent to be around.

I actually worked with a guy that I believe had Asperger's. He even passed the CPA exam. But I started noticing behaviors that my very autistic nephew showed. Others thought he was just weird, but I could see that it was more than that. He was terrible in basic social interaction and would have a near nervous breakdown in confrontational situations. I won't even go into his tics like the rocking and not making eye contact.

I saw this on Good Morning America sometime this week....I would have been in jail already if that were my kid. I am sorry, I don't usually believe in violence, however, if my child were treated like this, well, I am not so sure that this women would still be standing.