Big Brown wins the 134th Kentucky Derby

The Scribe

Not even close. 1:59.4 for Secretariat. 2:01.8 for Big Brown. Do you have any idea how big a 2.4 second gap is in horse racing?

Yes...it's far, but Big Brown ran a much further race.....he may not be Secretariat but no other horse has either.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes...it's far, but Big Brown ran a much further race.....he may not be Secretariat but no other horse has either.

I was responding to a post that said he may be the next Big Red. All I'm saying is he is not. He may be the next triple crown winner though.

Not even close. 1:59.4 for Secretariat. 2:01.8 for Big Brown. Do you have any idea how big a 2.4 second gap is in horse racing?

He has ran 4 races so you can't say he is the next Secretariat but he may turn out to be that good. Sure 2.4 seconds is a big gap but Big Brown just toyed with the field yesterday. Desormaux didn't even get after him that much. It was a workout for Big Brown down the stretch. Also, as Rockpride pointed out Big Brown ran much farther than Secretariat I am sure. He was forced 4-5 wide around both turns. The fact that he won the Derby from the 20 post easily and was only shaken up by his jockey makes the race far better than the time shows. Horse Racing is not just about times, its about variables throughout the race. Yesterday was the most impressive Derby victory I have witnessed.

OK I know nothing about horse racing... are they saying the jockey knew the horse was injured during the race and kept riding it?

Basically that is what they are saying, yes. Do they think though that a horse who breaks its ankles or does anything to them will be able to finish the race, much less in 2nd place?

"If he didn't then we can probably blame the fact that they're allowed to whip the horses mercilessly."

Basically they have already announced another excuse to fall back on cause we all know that was happened to Eight Belles couldn't have just been a freak accident. :rolleyes:

But it also looked like the jockey pulled Big Brown up and didn't race him as hard as Brown could've went because he knew he won, he even raised up and shook his arms before crossing the line. What are the fastest times recorded for the Derby?

Secretariat

1:59 2/5

Monarchos

1:59 4/5

Northern Dancer

2:00

Spend A Buck

Decidedly

Proud Clarion