An Act of Sportmanship.....

Hasbeen

But it appeared to be the shortest of dreams come true when she missed first base, started back to tag it and collapsed with a knee injury.

She crawled back to first but could do no more. The first-base coach said she would be called out if her teammates tried to help her. Or, the umpire said, a pinch runner could be called in, and the homer would count as a single.

Then, members of the Central Washington University softball team stunned spectators by carrying Tucholsky around the bases Saturday so the three-run homer would count -- an act that contributed to their own elimination from the playoffs.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/worldsports/story/10807104/1

I agree this is a pretty cool story.

One thing that caught me while reading it: Anybody recall a few years ago when a women's college player (or it may have been a HS player, I can't recall for sure) had suffered a major knee injury which left her two points shy of some individual scoring record? The coaches made arrangements ahead of time for the injured player to get in the game long enough — she was nowhere near capable of playing full speed — to allow her to score the bucket and break the record. Touching story as well, but I recall lots of outcry against it as well … something about the "integrity of the record" was damaged because they allowed her to score, or some other such stuff.

I agree this is a pretty cool story.

One thing that caught me while reading it: Anybody recall a few years ago when a women's college player (or it may have been a HS player, I can't recall for sure) had suffered a major knee injury which left her two points shy of some individual scoring record? The coaches made arrangements ahead of time for the injured player to get in the game long enough — she was nowhere near capable of playing full speed — to allow her to score the bucket and break the record. Touching story as well, but I recall lots of outcry against it as well … something about the "integrity of the record" was damaged because they allowed her to score, or some other such stuff.

Just like when Ricky Scruggs broke Bill "The Bulldozer" Dauterieve's touchdown record at Arlin High.