Breaking News: Krivsky fired

LRCW

I didn't realize the park prevented him from hitting singles. In 07 he had the same number of road vs home HRs and only 5 more 2B. This big difference was 26 more road singles...
Makes quite a difference in AVG, OBP and SLP ... RFK was a pitchers' park, plain and simple, and every player is affected differently, depending on his talent and hitting approach.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Makes quite a difference in AVG, OBP and SLP ... RFK was a pitchers' park, plain and simple, and every player is affected differently, depending on his talent and hitting approach.

Strange. The Nationals as a team had a better BA and OBP in RFK last year. Kearns was, is and always will be a dime a dozen OF. His talent and hitting approach back that theory...

RFK should have been perfect for Kearns. There's no doubt it contributed to a loss in production in homers, but Kearns being a line drive hitter should have thrived with the bigger alleys with which to work. There's no doubt that Kearns's career has been a huge disappointment.

Bray will be up with the Reds soon. He is pitching lights out in Louisville. I realize that at the time it didn't look good for Krivsky, but Kearns and Lopez have done nothing since leaving Cincinnati.

I wasn't crazy about the K/L ==> B/M trade at first, but I think there may be a time in the not-so-distant future that Bray will make Reds fans forget about Kearnsy.

RFK should have been perfect for Kearns. There's no doubt it contributed to a loss in production in homers, but Kearns being a line drive hitter should have thrived with the bigger alleys with which to work. There's no doubt that Kearns's career has been a huge disappointment.

:thumb:

At the time, Kearns was a 25-year-old hitter in the midst of a good season and no one questions his defense and arm in the outfield. Lopez was 26, I think, and a switch-hitting infielder with some speed and pop.

I firmly believe that they could have gotten more for them than two middle relievers, a washed-up shortstop and a young pitcher coming off shoulder surgery, and just about everyone else in baseball felt the same way. Reports at the time indicated as much.

We'll never know what they could have gotten because Krivsky panicked and made a short-term deal to fill a short-term need.

We replaced Kearns with Ken Griffey Jr. and have a young star in Jay Bruce waiting in the wings. Add that to the fact that acquired Corey Patterson, and the loss of Kearns is actually an addition.

And Felipe Lopez had a bad attitude. He didn't want to be a part of the Cincinnati Reds. We got Royce Clayton in exchange, he filled in nicely until we could make an improvement at SS. We did so, by acquiring a sure handed Alex Gonzalez. He goes down, and now we've got Jeff Keppinger, who is one of the top players (if not THE top player) this season.

You've got to look deeper than the surface to figure out how a trade truly works.

Strange. The Nationals as a team had a better BA and OBP in RFK last year. Kearns was, is and always will be a dime a dozen OF. His talent and hitting approach back that theory...
Washington's pitching staff had an ERA a full run better at home (4.08) then on the road (5.10) last season. The Nationals allowed fewer hits than innings pitched at home, and gave up nearly 10 hits per nine innings on the road.

I think it's fair to say the ballpark had something to do with it.

We replaced Kearns with Ken Griffey Jr. and have a young star in Jay Bruce waiting in the wings. Add that to the fact that acquired Corey Patterson, and the loss of Kearns is actually an addition.
Griffey was already in Cincinnati. If memory serves, Freel was the immediate replacement for Kearns.

You've got to look deeper than the surface to figure out how a trade truly works.
I know how the game works, thank you.

I wasn't crazy about the K/L ==> B/M trade at first, but I think there may be a time in the not-so-distant future that Bray will make Reds fans forget about Kearnsy.
Bray may still pan out ... he'll have to to offset the damage Majewski did.

Washington's pitching staff had an ERA a full run better at home (4.08) then on the road (5.10) last season. The Nationals allowed fewer hits than innings pitched at home, and gave up nearly 10 hits per nine innings on the road.

I think it's fair to say the ballpark had something to do with it.

So it's not fair to point out they hit for a higher average and got on base more frequently at RFK? Do you only get to use the stats you want, and then change when it's refuted???

So it's not fair to point out they hit for a higher average and got on base more frequently at RFK?
Washington spent three seasons in RFK ... in two of them, the Nationals hit better on the road. The pitching staff's splits were more pronounced, with the Nationals consistently performing much better at home.

RFK was universally considered a pitchers' park, and with good reason.

Do you only get to use the stats you want, and then change when it's refuted???
My stats are and were just as valid as yours, and mine reflected the larger trend.