What should schools do?

ladiesbballcoach

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The long term answer is to drill for oil we have in this country.

I know this changes the context of the thread, but that is the answer.

In talking to a friend that is in this business, oil supply is not the problem. Refineries are. From what he said, no new refineries have been built since like the 70's. And communities where they need to be built because of the oil supply, don't want them. Add in EPA guidelines and it would be tremendously expensive to build a new one.

Right now, he said refineries are producing at 97% capacity and the 3% is closed for maintenance and repair and that is about all you can get.

I think it is a much larger issue. I think local tax money should stay with local schools and each individual school district can have the luxuries they are willing to pay for.

Only problem with that is that some areas can draw alot more tax dollars than other areas. And thus be able to have those "luxuries" that others cannot.

Only problem with that is that some areas can draw alot more tax dollars than other areas. And thus be able to have those "luxuries" that others cannot.

Therein lies the problem. Many schools districts are enjoying luxuries on someone else's dime.

Therein lies the problem. Many schools districts are enjoying luxuries on someone else's dime.

In both scenarios.

You start a business and meet tremendous success with it and build a bigger store and your are going to pay more property taxes. Meaning the school district is enjoying luxuries on your dime.

So, kids who don't live in an affluent area deserve less education choices because they live in a poorer area? Come on, surely you don't believe that.

I believe communities should have the schools and luxuries they are willing to pay for.

You're going to have a lot of communities who simply don't have the money. Should we codemn kids to poverty who are born in poor regions?

This is getting hard on college students as well. Especially at commuter school like NKU. Tuition has gone up every year, by atleast 10% for the past 3 years. Also gas is rising at the same time. It's getting tough.

I for one rode the motorcycle to school today.

If something is important enough to you, you will find the money needed.

Are you from or have experience within "poor" counties? I'm not sure your statement is correct, growing up in one of the "poorest" communites not only in the state, but in the country as well has really lead me not to believe what you have stated.