What should schools do?

ladiesbballcoach

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you from or have experience within "poor" counties? I'm not sure your statement is correct, growing up in one of the "poorest" communites not only in the state, but in the country as well has really lead me not to believe what you have stated.

I am not a welfare guy. Sure on an emergency basis but not as a long term solution.

People have to be responsible for their own needs.

Are you sure about the bolded? I don't think it has anything to do with "days". I think the state mandates hours. So if that's correct, then a 4 day extended schedule would work.

I believe it is days, but that hours can be added on to days to make up days. It wouldn't surprise me to see them revisit this soon and convert it to hours. Also perhaps the days a week aren't the important.

Maybe we should keep it at 5 days a week, but add some hours. This way it would decrease the months of school. Gas is more expensive in the summer due to how it has to be refined and what goes into it throughout the summer months. Less school days when gas is more expensive is what would really help.

I am not a welfare guy. Sure on an emergency basis but not as a long term solution.

People have to be responsible for their own needs.

I was unaware that I was speaking about welfare....

At the current rate, the "rich" supers might organize and kick the "poor" schools out.

At this point I am either really confused or completely amazed at what you are saying. You really have no problem w/ the schools who have less resources to do without things that other students from larger districts?

If I am understanding you correctly I have no idea how to respond to that in a civil manner.

A student should not get less just because of their geographical location.

At this point I am either really confused or completely amazed at what you are saying. You really have no problem w/ the schools who have less resources to do without things that other students from larger districts?

If I am understanding you correctly I have no idea how to respond to that in a civil manner.

A student should not get less just because of their geographical location.

What you are quoting is a parody from the Public/Private Forum.

What I am trying to get across is I believe the redistribution of tax dollars (as it relates to schools in this case) is flawed and is more a part of the problem than it is the solution.

Of course I want everyone to have the best possible educational opportunities.

Generally speaking I am a libertarian.

To shed some light on the state requirements on days:

The Kentucky Department of Education has received several questions from school districts as they amend their 2007-08 school calendars to adjust for weather days, early dismissal days and other events and still be in compliance with the 2006 Budget Bill (House Bill 380) calendar requirements.

Language in HB 380 requires 2007-08 school calendars to provide the equivalent of 177 six-hour days of instruction, plus two additional six-hour days in addition to the number of six-hour days contained in the 2005-06 school year. The difficulty now lies in how those requirements must be accommodated in amended calendars.

Language in KRS 158.070 requires school districts to provide the equivalent of 175 six-hour days of instruction, which equates to 1,050 hours. With that language, it was possible for a district to "bank" time on days longer than six hours in order to fulfill the 1,050 hours of instruction in fewer than 175 days, whether by design or as a result of emergency closings...

Per Kentucky Department of Education:

http://education.ky.gov/KDE/Administrative+Resources/Commissioner+of+Education/Messages+to+Superintendents/2007-2008+Amended+School+Calendars.htm