Some Obama nuggets

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ask Americans the issues that face them every day and they'll answer taxes, jobs, and the economy. Yet, we make the presidential race about abortion, guns, and a preacher. I don't know a single person that has ever had an abortion. The economy affects me every day. So does taxes. And jobs. It affects just about everyone on here. But let's dissect what Obama thinks about gays. Or what Hilary thinks about abortions. Or what McCain thinks about guns.

What does it matter what a president thinks about abortion? He can't wave a magic wand and change the law. He can't appoint a majority to the Supreme Court to overturn Roe V. Wade.

Take a straw poll of the top 5 issues facing Americans today. Abortion won't even be in the top 10. But let's make a big deal about it in the presidential race.

I want the next president to focus on jobs, the economy, the war in Iraq, and education. THAT should be his/her primary concern.

valid points, all of them.

Ask Americans the issues that face them every day and they'll answer taxes, jobs, and the economy. Yet, we make the presidential race about abortion, guns, and a preacher. I don't know a single person that has ever had an abortion. The economy affects me every day. So does taxes. And jobs. It affects just about everyone on here. But let's dissect what Obama thinks about gays. Or what Hilary thinks about abortions. Or what McCain thinks about guns.

What does it matter what a president thinks about abortion? He can't wave a magic wand and change the law. He can't appoint a majority to the Supreme Court to overturn Roe V. Wade.

Take a straw poll of the top 5 issues facing Americans today. Abortion won't even be in the top 10. But let's make a big deal about it in the presidential race.

I want the next president to focus on jobs, the economy, the war in Iraq, and education. THAT should be his/her primary concern.

Great post. This is why I automatically quit listening when someone brings up abortion as a reason I should vote for a candidate.

The next president could. In my humble mind it's not just about abortion and guns it's about the mindset of the candidate and the types of judges that he/she will appoint. Whether you believe it or not that will have an affect on all of us in some way or another and that affect wil be in place for years.

I bet you there was a small minority of people in 1845 (or something like that) that believed that someday, slavery would end. And I bet others told them that they were crazy. So should all of us who believe that infanticide is wrong just stop caring?

TB&G, abortion is number one for me, but I also have very strong ideas on other issues (namely the economy). Do all of my points lose all credibility in your book?

I bet you there was a small minority of people in 1845 (or something like that) that believed that someday, slavery would end. And I bet others told them that they were crazy. So should all of us who believe that infanticide is wrong just stop caring?

TB&G, abortion is number one for me, but I also have very strong ideas on other issues (namely the economy). Do all of my points lose all credibility in your book?

No, of course not. However, I think back to the "Why Should I Vote for McCain" thread. As an undecided voter, I was greatly interested in the reading, until the whole section that was singularly about his stance on abortion. Then I 'glazed over'. I don't remember if you had any posts in that area.

You bring up a good point about the comparison with the push to end slavery. And no...you shouldn't stop "caring". But, I would like to see it stop being used as a trump card for both candidates and voters.

No, of course not. However, I think back to the "Why Should I Vote for McCain" thread. As an undecided voter, I was greatly interested in the reading, until the whole section that was singularly about his stance on abortion. Then I 'glazed over'. I don't remember if you had any posts in that area.

You bring up a good point about the comparison with the push to end slavery. And no...you shouldn't stop "caring". But, I would like to see it stop being used as a trump card for both candidates and voters.

But by the very nature of the act it's always going to be a very controversial and polarizing issue. Some people believe strongly that every abortion performed murders a human being, while some people just believe that it is an act of convenience that can be used to correct a mistake. Those two positions are so diametrically opposed that it can't do anything but polarize supporters on both sides and as such will ALWAYS be a huge political issue.

The next president could. In my humble mind it's not just about abortion and guns it's about the mindset of the candidate and the types of judges that he/she will appoint. Whether you believe it or not that will have an affect on all of us in some way or another and that affect wil be in place for years.

Again, what was the last Supreme Court decision that had a DIRECT effect on you? What about the one before that? It's an important issue but it's not even in many people's top 10. It would be the same as if Congress decided to enact a 5% tax on people who make over a million dollars. It doesn't affect me or the people I know. To me, that's not a priority in who I vote for president. Has there been a president to ever appoint enough judges to the Supreme Court for a majority? Even so, the appointees still have to be approved by congress. So again, what difference does it make where the president stands on the issue?

Again, what was the last Supreme Court decision that had a DIRECT effect on you? What about the one before that? It's an important issue but it's not even in many people's top 10. It would be the same as if Congress decided to enact a 5% tax on people who make over a million dollars. It doesn't affect me or the people I know. To me, that's not a priority in who I vote for president. Has there been a president to ever appoint enough judges to the Supreme Court for a majority? Even so, the appointees still have to be approved by congress. So again, what difference does it make where the president stands on the issue?

First of all, if you make decisions with your vote based ONLY on what it does for rather than what it does for the country, then we have completely different ideas on voting. I agree that the 5% tax on people making over a million doesn't effect me directly, but I know that absolutely in the long run it probably would be devastating.

Secondly, no single President has, but a succession of Presidents that appoint Supreme Court judges can make a majority.

If you are only voting on what relates directly to you, then there are a lot of issues that you don't care about. If I used your philosophy, I shouldn't care about he war, abortion, gay marriage, the death penalty, corporate taxes, gun control, environmental laws, or civil rights laws. Some of us think otherwise.

First of all, if you make decisions with your vote based ONLY on what it does for rather than what it does for the country, then we have completely different ideas on voting. I agree that the 5% tax on people making over a million doesn't effect me directly, but I know that absolutely in the long run it probably would be devastating.

Secondly, no single President has, but a succession of Presidents that appoint Supreme Court judges can make a majority.

If you are only voting on what relates directly to you, then there are a lot of issues that you don't care about. If I used your philosophy, I shouldn't care about he war, abortion, gay marriage, the death penalty, corporate taxes, gun control, environmental laws, or civil rights laws. Some of us think otherwise.

I don't care about gay marriage. It has no effect on me. Abortion, gun control, etc doesn't affect me on a daily basis. If the economy worsens to the point where I lose my job and get evicted from my home, should I worry about abortion? After losing my home and failing to get a job because they are going to illegal immigrants, should I sleep in my cardboard box yet get a warm and fuzzy feeling because our president is against gay marriage?

At your job, if the company "suits" enact a policy that states janitors must pay for and wear their own uniforms while at work, is that really an issue for you? Are you going to take up their cause at the next board meeting? Probably not. But when you get the memo that states YOU will buy and wear your own uniforms at work, then the issue becomes important because it affects you personally.

Why should I feel good about a president that is pro life and anti guns when the economy, jobs, gas prices, and illegal immigration affect people to the point of losing their homes and blowing their brains out? I look at the issues that affect me directly and vote for the corresponding candidate.

I don't care about gay marriage. It has no effect on me. Abortion, gun control, etc doesn't affect me on a daily basis. If the economy worsens to the point where I lose my job and get evicted from my home, should I worry about abortion? After losing my home and failing to get a job because they are going to illegal immigrants, should I sleep in my cardboard box yet get a warm and fuzzy feeling because our president is against gay marriage?

At your job, if the company "suits" enact a policy that states janitors must pay for and wear their own uniforms while at work, is that really an issue for you? Are you going to take up their cause at the next board meeting? Probably not. But when you get the memo that states YOU will buy and wear your own uniforms at work, then the issue becomes important because it affects you personally.

Why should I feel good about a president that is pro life and anti guns when the economy, jobs, gas prices, and illegal immigration affect people to the point of losing their homes and blowing their brains out? I look at the issues that affect me directly and vote for the corresponding candidate.

I agree with you that I wish more people would put more emphasis on economic policies, as most people ignore it.

I think you are nuts for not believing that a 5% tax on millionaires has an effect on you. I also can't understand how you fail to realize that things can have indirect effects on you, but to each his own.