Why doesn't the KHSAA Just give us 3 weeks in May?

Spring football is not suppost to interfere with any other spring sport. So if they are playing something else they do not have to come. The way it is set up it is not fair to everyone. If your Basketball teams are not very good then it hurts you as you have to go practice in the snow, cold. I think they should have a standard time when everyone can have the same conditions. JMO

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I will say this that spring practice at Grant County has been horrible as far as weather goes. We were able to get out 5 days, in the mud and slop. Our teams were beat the first round of districts and we were forced to start on March 3rd, then we had 16 inches of snow and now flood problems. I think the window should be moved back for all and avid spring break. Give a window like they do in the state CATS testing window. You are not going to see any baseball players or track players on the field in our spring practices. Just would like to see it moved.

i will say this that spring practice at Grant County has been horrible as far as weather goes. We were able to get out 5 days, in the mud and slop. Our teams were beat the first round of districts and we were forced to start on March 3rd, then we had 16 inches of snowe and now flood problems. I thinkt the window should be moved back for all and avid spring break. Give a window like they do inthe state CATS testing window. You are not going to see any baseball players or track players onthe field in our spring practices. Just would like to see it moved

That is the case most places with Grass facilities, (my guess).

One year, half of my skill kids played Fall baseball every saturday and sunday through out the football season. What's the difference?

Many times we had kids on all-star and legion teams that played up until the 1st week of August. Football would start around July 16th and they would miss over 2 weeks of practice. I guess that's fair though because they were missing football in order to play baseball, instead of the other way around.

The open gyms in basketball that were taking place the same time as football practice was comical also. The coaches are not allowed to attend or instruct open gyms, however they would put chairs in the doorways to the gym and observe, instruct, and shout directions from the doorway without technically being in the gym. What a joke.

The difference is, Fall Baseball is not a High School sanctioned sport.

I disagree. Basketball and baseball are issues in the same manner to football during the summer.
Not in High School, they aren't. Basketball and Football each get time, out of season and Baseball does not.

Not in High School, they aren't. Basketball and Football each get time, out of season and Baseball does not.

Haven't you made the point before that football coaches should excuse players from practice who play on select teams during their tournament time? Also, it is school basketball that competes for time during summer practice, which is clearly Football season as far as the school system should be concerned. Baseball occurs all summer. Most school teams play together, they are just playing in different leagues. I would gladly give away spring ball if the summer was reserved for fall sports only.

Haven't you made the point before that football coaches should excuse players from practice who play on select teams during their tournament time? Also, it is school basketball that competes for time during summer practice, which is clearly Football season as far as the school system should be concerned.
Most select travel teams, play on weekends and thus would create a logisitic problem, with playing. Legion programs, will play during the week but very few HS Football programs practice on the weekends.

Basketball and Football coaches, often work out practice times, to accommodate practice during the summer. It nonetheless, takes a toll on the players who do both.

Would you agree, that Baseball is the only sport of the big 3, which doesn't get out of season time, like FB and BKB?

Strike, I know you are a baseball guy and I am a football guy, but you as a baseball coach would encourage your players to play summer and fall baseball, because it will make them better for the spring season, just like basketball coaches would encourage their players to play AAU and summer leagues. I understand that these sports are not school affiliated but, they are encouraged.

The simple fact is that the three major sports have become year around, I know that some players want to play all three, but for most, it is not the best choice.

Football does have the football season, winter weight lifting and conditioning, spring practice, summer camps, 7 on 7 and summer weightlifting and conditioning. Basketball has basketball season, summer and fall leagues, AAU, and summer camps. Baseball has the spring baseball season, and even though not school affiliated, they have summer baseball, fall baseball, and winter clinics.

All of the above is not mandatory, but the players know that to excel they have to work in the off season, and now they have plenty of options. I'm not saying that a player should try to do all of the things listed above, but if they do, they have to choose what one or two sports are the most important. And when they do that, some of the coaches will say they getting cut out of time with that player, when in fact the player has chosen which sports are most important.

Now, I can't fault the coaches, they are trying to give the players all they can to succeed in that particular sport, but the player has to choose the sport and/or activity. If they choose spring football over baseball practice, that is the way it is. If they choose 7 on 7 over summer baseball or summer basketball league, then they choose it. All the coaches can do it offer it, and hope that most of the players show up.

Personally, I don't think that a player should practice spring football and baseball in the same day, or 7 on 7 and basketball in the same day. I don't think the coaches should hold it against them, but they should have to choose one. Sometimes the coaches are requiring (Unofficially) to much.

Ram, you're alright. I have no qualms or gripes, with players playing all or choosing which one, with the following caveat.

1) They players are "forced" to choose which/either, they participate in.

2) If they allow Football and Basketball time, in other season sports, than need to allow Baseball the same convenience. If not, then disallow the others.

Ram, you're alright. I have no qualms or gripes, with players playing all or choosing which one, with the following caveat.

1) They players are "forced" to choose which/either, they participate in.

2) If they allow Football and Basketball time, in other season sports, than need to allow Baseball the same convenience. If not, then disallow the others.

I suppose I didn't make my point in a clear fashion earlier. Baseball is played by high school teams all summer. They play in leagues that are not associated with the school, like knothole. Football is the only sport that you can't play without being part of the school. Like I stated earlier, I would be happy to give up spring ball if the summer was reserved for fall sports.

Strike, maybe that would be something that you could change. Organized, school affiliated baseball can not start before February 15. Maybe you should contact the KHSAA and see if they could allow a winter baseball practice session. Of course this would have to be indoors. I don't know what each school has, facility wise, but all the schools in my area have an indoor batting cage. Perhaps, most schools could have two hours of hitting practice for a two or three week period for the players not playing basketball.

That is the only solution that I can think of, because of spring baseball, summer baseball, and fall baseball, the winter would be the only option.

Plus, you would be the guy to take this on. Remember, we have not had spring football for that long, and someone had to propose it.

Explain to me when Basketball gets time? And to say baseball doesn't get time is out of touch with reality, period. Baseball never stops, in many cases, including the mostly ignored dead period.