Why doesn't the KHSAA Just give us 3 weeks in May?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the deal with KY spring Practice window why don't they just give us all 3 weeks in May when the weather is decent??:confused:

Same reason, they don't give Baseball time during Football and Basketball season.

I think the reasoning for three weeks to get two weeks of practice is: possible inclement weather. I think they want everyone to have the opportunity to get two full weeks of practice, so they give a three week window in case you have to cancel practice several days due to weather problems.

For example: Raceland started practice on the first day possible, but they canceled several due to weather, they will make those days up in week three.

Same reason, they don't give Baseball time during Football and Basketball season.

One year, half of my skill kids played Fall baseball every saturday and sunday through out the football season. What's the difference?

Many times we had kids on all-star and legion teams that played up until the 1st week of August. Football would start around July 16th and they would miss over 2 weeks of practice. I guess that's fair though because they were missing football in order to play baseball, instead of the other way around.

The open gyms in basketball that were taking place the same time as football practice was comical also. The coaches are not allowed to attend or instruct open gyms, however they would put chairs in the doorways to the gym and observe, instruct, and shout directions from the doorway without technically being in the gym. What a joke.

One year, half of my skill kids played Fall baseball every saturday and sunday through out the football season. What's the difference?

Many times we had kids on all-star and legion teams that played up until the 1st week of August. Football would start around July 16th and they would miss over 2 weeks of practice. I guess that's fair though because they were missing football in order to play baseball, instead of the other way around.

The open gyms in basketball that were taking place the same time as football practice was comical also. The coaches are not allowed to attend or instruct open gyms, however they would put chairs in the doorways to the gym and observe, instruct, and shout directions from the doorway without technically being in the gym. What a joke.

The baseball you mention isn't high school sanctioned, and the basketball isn't technically either. I won't divulge into that one though.

I think it was a concession to track and baseball coaches when they wanted to bring it back. They wanted it to occur as early as possible, to interfere with their practices as little as possible.

Bingo, and I agree with the KHSAA's logic. Spring football can already be an hindrance to other spring sports. Let's not make it worse. Remember the old adage: pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered. :thumb:

The baseball you mention isn't high school sanctioned, and the basketball isn't technically either. I won't divulge into that one though.

How is the basketball not sanctioned? It was the school team and coaches.

The Fall baseball league was coached by "unpaid" assistant baseball coaches. The same players that make up the baseball team in the spring, were the same players that the fall team consisted of.

Either way, I am happy that we have the fortunate chance to have spring practice, something that we used to not have. However I think some of the problem that lies in the interference between sports is the length of the seasons the KHSAA has set forth. For one, football season is too long, specifically the playoffs, which pushes the start of basketball back, which in turn pushed the start of baseball back. Secondly, both basketball and baseball play too many games in this state. Basketball should have a 20 game regular season, then district, region, and then state if you make it. Baseball should have 20-25 regular season games before starting district play. Baseball should wrap up the 2nd or 3rd week of May. Then give Football two weeks to get 10 practices in the last week of May and 1st week of June.

Just my opinion.

I also think football practice starts too early in July.

I agree! The KHSAA should make it the same 3 weeks for all teams. Some teams have had to work around snow days and some will have to work around spring break. To make it fair for all teams, allow them to have spring football practice during the same time period.