Officials Switching at Region Games

The 8th region officials stayed at home because the region schools voted to keep them rather than bring in outside officials. Agree or disagree, the 8th region officials association has a lot of respect from around the state. For the most part, they do a great job. It is not as easy as one might think.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 8th region officials stayed at home because the region schools voted to keep them rather than bring in outside officials. Agree or disagree, the 8th region officials association has a lot of respect from around the state. For the most part, they do a great job. It is not as easy as one might think.

Thanks for the info

Sometimes the officials would prefer to go out of region too......Some say they feel like it is more of a reward for finishing high enough in the ratings and others have commented that they dont have to come back to work the next day and hear about the game from customers or fellow employees. I think another good result of switching regions is that a coach who gets mad over something that happens in a regional game wont have the ability to scratch an official for the following season like they would if the officials stayed in.....

I agree FishTie, the positives far outweigh the negatives. Coaches know the officials too well by the end of the season and this also takes away the question of friendships or "former roomates".

What I saw last night in the 16th region tournament would have had the coaches going nuts had that been our own officials. I am not saying the officiating was bad, it wasn't and it had no bearing on the outcome of either game IMO, it was just that they allowed a much more physical game than we normally see. Rather than complaining about the many no calls that went both ways the coaches and players simply adjusted. I did not see the coaches riding the officials like I feel they would have had these been 16th region officials. I personally like going outside for the region tournament.

Now, with that said, for those in attendance both nights it has to answer the question of the quality of officiating in our region vs other regions. I have said it numerous times on here and in the public, the 16th region's top officials are as good as any other region in the state. With the exception of 1 or 2 disgruntled posters from the 9th region, it appears that their fans are very pleased with the officials they have received from the 16th. I attend the state tournament every year and get to see what other regions have to offer. Our's are as good as any. Anyone in attendance at the girls 16th region tournament the first 2 nights would have to agree. If the boys games are called the same as the girls they will hopefully see this as well and certain posters who constantly berate the officiating in the 16th will understand that the grass isn't necessarily greener on the other side. It's just a different shade of green.

Well said.

Still wondering about other regions though other than the 6,7,9 & 16. What about the others....anyone know about them?

The Bluegrass covers both the 10th and the 11th and they are staying.

the 14th is doing the 13th and the 15th is doing the 14th and the 13th is doing the 15th..

Next year I have been told the 12-16th is doing a 5 way swap not sure who is going where..

The Bluegrass I have been told by several coaches will never leave, if they have anything to do with it. They feel they have the best and get the best every year. They do not feel they would get the same quality of game they get all through the season..:thumb:

I agree 85...we do indeed have some fine officials in the 16th. I also like switching during regional play for many reasons. One major reason is simply the amount of weight lifted off the shoulders of these refs. In the past, I have felt horrible for these guys/gals that had to call a game with two of their good friends standing on opposite ends of the sideline. It's also hard on a ref when he is one of the top in the region, but is constantly accused of helping his buddy out. I have witnessed this very thing, resulting in the coach getting less calls because the ref is afraid of being accused of cheating or favoring.

In some ways having "outsiders" officiating the games isn't a bad idea. This way officials that might have it out for you because of an earlier instance can't do your game. People that are upset about having outsiders are the ones that know they might have an advantage from having an official that does a majority of their games. This way it seems more fair for all, or at least in my opinion!

I agree, I think that in the 8th region if someone is known for fouling they get used to calling them even when they do not. Switch it up!

Right on point.

How do they assign refs for the sweet sixteen?

The officials for the Sweet Sixteen are selected through a ratings system locally. What officials do what games are assigned by a KHSAA staff member (currently Larry Boucher). For the regions, the assignments are technically made by the KHSAA. But they gather input from the local policy boards (a rep of each district in each region), as well as the regional board of control members. THat's what I remember about the system and I think it still holds true.

It is not that another region is better. Here is the way it is: If you have 150 officials in that region and 35 in a smaller region, you are going to have more officials in the 150 that are better but the percentage is nearly the same. It is like that in all sports and I work all three, and reallly see this is the way it is.

I agree, I think that in the 8th region if someone is known for fouling they get used to calling them even when they do not. Switch it up!

Very true. Say what they will, there are officials who come in with a preconceived notion of what a player can or cannot do. And they call the game accordingly.

HOWEVER, switching up officials can also come back to hurt you. If you've got a defender that's got extremely quick hands and can get legit strips, you don't want an official seeing that for the first time. Likewise, imagine somebody with a Jordan-esque first step. You go through the regular season getting your officials acclamated to the fact that it's NOT a traveling call on the first step. Now he (or she!) is penalized when being seen for the first time.

I don't know if it's an issue of one being better than the other. I think it's more a situation of choosing the lesser evil. Ultimately it comes down to having good officials...period. Doesn't matter where they come from.

I agree FishTie, the positives far outweigh the negatives. Coaches know the officials too well by the end of the season and this also takes away the question of friendships or "former roomates".

What I saw last night in the 16th region tournament would have had the coaches going nuts had that been our own officials. I am not saying the officiating was bad, it wasn't and it had no bearing on the outcome of either game IMO, it was just that they allowed a much more physical game than we normally see. Rather than complaining about the many no calls that went both ways the coaches and players simply adjusted. I did not see the coaches riding the officials like I feel they would have had these been 16th region officials. I personally like going outside for the region tournament.

Now, with that said, for those in attendance both nights it has to answer the question of the quality of officiating in our region vs other regions. I have said it numerous times on here and in the public, the 16th region's top officials are as good as any other region in the state. With the exception of 1 or 2 disgruntled posters from the 9th region, it appears that their fans are very pleased with the officials they have received from the 16th. I attend the state tournament every year and get to see what other regions have to offer. Our's are as good as any. Anyone in attendance at the girls 16th region tournament the first 2 nights would have to agree. If the boys games are called the same as the girls they will hopefully see this as well and certain posters who constantly berate the officiating in the 16th will understand that the grass isn't necessarily greener on the other side. It's just a different shade of green.

I agree with this statement as your 16th region boys and girls are here doing the 9th and on several occasions I have remarked that if it had been our own the coaches would have had a little bit more to say. I also echo the sentiment that I don't say that because I think they have done a poor job! :thumb:

Sometimes the officials would prefer to go out of region too......Some say they feel like it is more of a reward for finishing high enough in the ratings and others have commented that they dont have to come back to work the next day and hear about the game from customers or fellow employees. I think another good result of switching regions is that a coach who gets mad over something that happens in a regional game wont have the ability to scratch an official for the following season like they would if the officials stayed in.....

What happens if they mess up during the season or even in the all A, they can still get scratched. That comes down to who is man or woman enough to just let it go.

The officials for the Sweet Sixteen are selected through a ratings system locally. What officials do what games are assigned by a KHSAA staff member (currently Larry Boucher). For the regions, the assignments are technically made by the KHSAA. But they gather input from the local policy boards (a rep of each district in each region), as well as the regional board of control members. THat's what I remember about the system and I think it still holds true.

Not totally true. So many have to be minorities and women. In essence, the KHSAA has a quota system for officials at the Sweet 16. As a result, an official fitting into one of those two groups could be rated below an official that did not make it and still officiate in the Sweet 16.