Separation Poll

Jesse James

Do you favor a public/private separation?  

187 members have voted

1. 1. Do you favor a public/private separation?

• Yes I say divide them.
    • No. Keep it the same.

Separate--If it makes some feel better about themselves, but the results will be similar, only with a few new players?? What will happen when the main supporters of a split still don't "get their rings"--Guarantee it will be the "independents", then the "open enrollment schools", then "realignment", etc. until certain schools (think about 80 miles due south of Lexington for one) win a title or two in something!!

Despite all the whinning about the "privates" domination, if you take out a couple of girl's schools, the sport's few even know exist, and the two largest (disproportionately large) boy's schools out of the equation--The math just won't work!! We've already diluted a state football title to the rough equivilent of a first round Sweet Sixteen win or a decent Holiday Tourney Title--Why not move on to the "Everyone Gets a Trophy" mode??

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First, remember I am not for a split strictly on the private/public level although if that is the only choice, than I would change my view on it.

The assumption is that public schools are like schools and private schools are like schools. Let like schools compete against like schools and don't ask them to compete against schools that they are not like.

Publics have advantages and disadvantages over privates and it is as unfair to ask privates to compete against publics as it is the other way around.

It is unfair to ask privates to operate as publics and be limited to certain community boundaries, no tuition assistance, etc, etc.

So, I assume the goal is to let schools that are more alike be the ones that they are competing against.

You are always a thoughtful and respectful poster..thank you!

I understand the logic of your explanation, however, in my mind it still opens a door for continued "leveling" or aligning of "like' schools ad nauseum.

And again, the words themselves are subjective and therefore impossible to nail down. It's simply a matter of choosing which criteria one wants to use...the terms can apply to dozens and dozens of variables.

Another thing, proponents proclaim that it is NOT about winning, it's about fairness and level. Okay, but how do you measure that if not by winning? If the privates did exactly what they do today but rarely, if ever won anything...would there even be a discussion? And if we admit, then, that it is measured by winning, what happens when the next group wins too much and who has the authority to decide how much winning is too much or just right?

"Unfair" and "unlevel" will be applied to the next group or individual schools that are perceived as 'advantaged' and the need to "level" will rear it's head again, and again, and again...

You are always a thoughtful and respectful poster..thank you!

I understand the logic of your explanation, however, in my mind it still opens a door for continued "leveling" or aligning of "like' schools ad nauseum.

And again, the words themselves are subjective and therefore impossible to nail down. It's simply a matter of choosing which criteria one wants to use...the terms can apply to dozens and dozens of variables.

Another thing, proponents proclaim that it is NOT about winning, it's about fairness and level. Okay, but how do you measure that if not by winning? If the privates did exactly what they do today but rarely, if ever won anything...would there even be a discussion? And if we admit, then, that it is measured by winning, what happens when the next group wins too much and who has the authority to decide how much winning is too much or just right?

"Unfair" and "unlevel" will be applied to the next group or individual schools that are perceived as 'advantaged' and the need to "level" will rear it's head again, and again, and again...

Absolutely, positively, 100%, could not agree more! :thumb:

Portions of an appropriate quote:

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.

You cannot help small men by tearing down big men.

You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich.

You cannot further the brotherhood of man by inciting class hatreds.

You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.

William J. H. Boetcker, 1916 (often attributed to Lincoln)

I would ask, when in history has segregation of a group with perceived differences or advantages ever turned out to be a good idea? That separation has usually served, instead, to highlight the inadequacies of those supporting the separation.

Are you saying that you believe this has never happened?

I believe it probaby has happened. Just like public schools have recruited athletes has happened also.

I know that for the schools associated with Louisville's Archdiocese, aid is taken care of by an idependend third party, and is given strictly based on need.

• 4 weeks later...

Folks, the reason why most people send thier kids to private schools is not for athletic reasons. Public schools have lost thier ability to provide adequate discipline, promote God in our schools, and a general inability to do what is right. Education has long been the whipping boy of the politician, in which they love to say what NEEDS to be done, but are unwilling to step up and provide the resources to get the job done. People who send thier kids to public schools need to step up and demand more for our kids. With that being said, I do believe that many Private schools do recruit kids, which I am dead against, therefore I voted for the split.

Folks, the reason why most people send thier kids to private schools is not for athletic reasons. Public schools have lost thier ability to provide adequate discipline, promote God in our schools, and a general inability to do what is right. Education has long been the whipping boy of the politician, in which they love to say what NEEDS to be done, but are unwilling to step up and provide the resources to get the job done. People who send thier kids to public schools need to step up and demand more for our kids. With that being said, I do believe that many Private schools do recruit kids, which I am dead against, therefore I voted for the split.

If you have proof of that report it to the KHSAA.