The Pledge of Allegiance

I experience a little of what you are thinking LBC only in a different way.

I do not like having the flags in our sanctuary. I respect the flag of the US but it should have it's place in the welcoming area, not in the sanctuary. IMHO.

I remember the Sunday after 9/11 I angered a couple because we did not sing patriotic songs in our worship. I told them they were getting plenty of that out there, what we were assembling for was to worship God through our tears and pray for guidance and direction in our anger, hurt and loss.

I still don't do the patriotic songs during worship but we do a set of them prior to the start of worship on the first Sunday of July. We pray for our nation then as well. Then we stop, chime the hour and begin our worship to God.

Just know that like you LBC, I take these questions seriously.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I experience a little of what you are thinking LBC only in a different way.

I do not like having the flags in our sanctuary. I respect the flag of the US but it should have it's place in the welcoming area, not in the sanctuary. IMHO.

I remember the Sunday after 9/11 I angered a couple because we did not sing patriotic songs in our worship. I told them they were getting plenty of that out there, what we were assembling for was to worship God through our tears and pray for guidance and direction in our anger, hurt and loss.

I still don't do the patriotic songs during worship but we do a set of them prior to the start of worship on the first Sunday of July. We pray for our nation then as well. Then we stop, chime the hour and begin our worship to God.

Just know that like you LBC, I take these questions seriously.

Do you allow the "Christian" flag?

I could be behind what you are saying with the flag.

I think I am very patriotic, maybe even more so than those who are mindlessly repeating the words of either the pledge or the song, through my heartfelt prayer for those in the sporting event's health and the country.

I look at it the same way that I don't mind no prayer allowed in school. I would rather have a true heartfelt prayer than one that you are made to do.

I would almost guarantee that the majority during the national anthem or saying the pledge are either not paying attention or doing it through rote memorization.

Allegiance - 1) commitment: the act of binding yourself (intellectually or emotionally) to a course of action 2) the loyalty that citizens owe to their country (or subjects to their sovereign)

I don't really see how you make the jump from allegiance to worship. I see it as nothing more than pledging to be loyal to your country, to be patriotic, etc. The flag is simply a symbol used to represent these ideas. The words in the pledge IMO do not indicate the any type of worship is taking place.

The national anthem is simply a patriotic song, I see it as no different than "God Bless American" or "America the Beautiful".

You stand up during the national anthem as a sign of respect for your country. Is this any different that standing up as a judge enters the courtroom. Does the judge now become an idol that we are worshiping?

Nice post...I view the Pledge of Allegiance as a way honoring our ancestors and the sacrifices they made to make this place a country instead of a colony.

In no way do I think that is anywhere near idol worshipping.

I think I am very patriotic, maybe even more so than those who are mindlessly repeating the words of either the pledge or the song, through my heartfelt prayer for those in the sporting event's health and the country.

I look at it the same way that I don't mind no prayer allowed in school. I would rather have a true heartfelt prayer than one that you are made to do.

I would almost guarantee that the majority during the national anthem or saying the pledge are either not paying attention or doing it through rote memorization.

Please forgive me my ignorance, but what is the "Christian" flag?

There are an awful lot of people that wish they had the option of not reciting the Pledge of Allegiance when they're supposed to. Ironically it's because they don't live in this country. I'm under the impression that God wouldn't have a problem with it. Isn't it a bad thing to interpret the Bible literally?

It always frustrates me to hear people say, "I'm not standing because that's my right." My response, "You know what moron, that's EXACTLY why you should be standing!"

There are an awful lot of people that wish they had the option of not reciting the Pledge of Allegiance when they're supposed to. Ironically it's because they don't live in this country. I'm under the impression that God wouldn't have a problem with it. Isn't it a bad thing to interpret the Bible literally?

It always frustrates me to hear people say, "I'm not standing because that's my right." My response, "You know what moron, that's EXACTLY why you should be standing!"

Well said.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Both flags are in there, unfortunately.

I just hate having the flag be the test of patriotism or the only test.

As for you comment about school prayer, we are closer than I ever thought LBBC. That might be scary for both of us.

If you don't, doesn't it become Sticky's faith and religion rather than Christianity as taught in the Bible?

If you don't, doesn't it become Sticky's faith and religion rather than Christianity as taught in the Bible?

Did God write the Bible? Either way, I'm pretty sure I didn't. So, no. It's faith and religion based on the Bible.

On a side note, could you imagine worshipping when I prioritize faith and religion?

Did God write the Bible? Either way, I'm pretty sure I didn't. So, no. It's faith and religion based on the Bible.

On a side note, could you imagine worshipping when I prioritize faith and religion?

Did Peter heal people when he told them they were healed? Or did God do it through Peter.

To me, yes God wrote the Bible. He inspired the words as we are told it is God-breathed. Now did he grab a pencil and write the words no.

God inspired and wrote it just as it was God that healed people and not the Apostles.

Flags are indentifiers. They've been used for over 4,000 years. Long ago, knights carried flags into battle because it was hard to know who the knights were when they were dressed up and covered in armor ready for battle! Flags were important because they helped soldiers tell their friends from their enemies in battle. The Pledge of Allegiance is simply an affirmation of loyalty to one's country and to the symbol of our country.

Question, If you refuse to pledge allegiance to the flag, based upon the premise that it is idol worshipry, do you then have no objection to the desecration of the American flag?