The Pledge of Allegiance

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know you probably have never thought of it, but what brings you that peace?

That my allegiance to this country doesn't interfere with my allegiance to God. I understand that it possibly could at some time, but if that ever occurs, my allegiance to this country would probably already be waivering.

The 2nd commandment:

You shall not make for yourself a carved image -- any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; you shall not bow down to them nor serve them.

And I am not willing to take that risk.

The graven image commandment is a difficult one for me to interpret also. I have wondered about all the crosses and images we kneel down before in church. I have tentatively concluded that we are only using the image to represent that which we can not see. Therefore, I see your point and have no argument with it. I just think it a bit of overkill. Do what you are comfortable with.

I think the key with the wedding vows is that mine were done with God as a focus of our relationship. We realized (not as much as we should have at that time) that God was supposed to be a part of our lives.

"Under God" is a part of the pledge. To me that means the allegiance to my country comes below the more important devotion to God.

Do you not pledge allegiance to one another as part of the wedding vows? It is a commitment to forsake all others and devote yourself to one spouse.

Obviously I'm being rhetorical and that doesn't violate any biblical teaching regarding idols. And neither does the pledge of allegiance your country in and of itself. Nor does an employment contract, a record deal or any other commitment we make in this life, unless...

Unless we put those things before God in our lives. And that includes our relationship with our spouses, our jobs, our kids and everything else. We can make an idol out of anything. And we can also be commited to many things without making idols out of them.

If this country believed that, it would be different. But this country has made it clear that they don't want God to be part of the leadership/focus of this country.

This country has stricken God from so many of the facets of this country.

While, I believe that this is the best country on the planet, I realize that this country has taken the position that they don't want to work for God as a country.

I don't think we are expected to go through life being non-committal. We are told to obey our rulers and abide the laws of the land. (Render unto Caesar, etc.) That seems to indicate to me a certain amount of allegiance, but we are admonished never to put that (or anything else) above God in our lives.

The pledge of allegiance to your country is a personal thing. Our country certainly isn't perfect, but I am devoted to it and that will never change. That doesn't mean I am always happy with the direction it will take, but neither were the first century Christians with the Roman rule.

Now, if you don't want to pledge allegiance because you disagree with the direction of the country, that's something altogether different. You're entitled to that right too. But with all due respect, I don't think you can use the idol worship argument to justify it. I understand where you are coming from but IMO, you are making an issue where God hasn't.

This is the same mentality that leads people to believe that Catholics are idol worshipers. The Flag is a symbol. One faces the flag when pledging the allegiance to the COUNTRY. One may kneel in front of the statue of the Virgin Mary when saying the Hail Mary. The flag, statues, a crucifix, they're all symbols. They are reminders, or representative.

This is the same mentality that leads people to believe that Catholics are idol worshipers. The Flag is a symbol. One faces the flag when pledging the allegiance to the COUNTRY. One may kneel in front of the statue of the Virgin Mary when saying the Hail Mary. The flag, statues, a crucifix, they're all symbols. They are reminders, or representative.

Speaking of opening a can of worms....

When I was composing post #18 I used the Catholic Church as an example of those using symbols. However, before I hit the submit button I deleted that part rather than open that particular can of worms.

As I said, I had a problem with saying a pledge of allegiance to the Christian flag and Bible.

When I was composing post #18 I used the Catholic Church as an example of those using symbols. However, before I hit the submit button I deleted that part rather than open that particular can of worms.

Apparently, I shouldn't have sneaked out of my room after HHSDad grounded me. Now I'm in more trouble! :lol:

But....I don't think anything I said was incorrect. :p

Apparently, I shouldn't have sneaked out of my room after HHSDad grounded me. Now I'm in more trouble! :lol:

But....I don't think anything I said was incorrect. :p

You are perfectly safe dealing with it. I, on the other hand, risk being assigned a multitude of links to Catholic websites as required reading. It's happened to me before. ;):lol:

You are showing respect by saluting, pledging, etc. . . . not worshipping. You are showing respect for those who have given their lives for the freedoms we now enjoy. You are not worshipping the flag or our country when you do these things you are simply paying respect that is all.

If that was true, why would I spend that time in prayer thanking God for those who have come before me and give me the freedoms I do and prayers for the future of this country?

And I am not sure where I said what you are alluding to that I said.

Indirectly, that is what you're saying. When immigrants come to this country, they have to swear their allegiance. I see no difference in doing that and pledging allegiance toward a flag which merely symbolizes the country. The flag is not an idol, it's just there as a central focus to represent the nation -- which is what you are actually pledging allegiance to.

Yeah, I was wondering how long it would be before we diverted down that path. :cool:

The flag is not being worshipped as some kind of anthropomorphic deity with magical powers. It's acting as a convenient way to represent a place, a people, and an abstract idea.