HDTV

phil shil

My Sony received no HD channels until it occured to me to do a setup and self-program channel search on the HD side. (It had the capability of switch back and forth between HD and normal channels.) I gained 40 + HD channels from regular cable.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When all is said and done, DirectTV will cost less and give you more HD channels. However, I like knowing I have a hard-wired cable conenction that won't go out because of rain / storms. The choice is yours.

Thinking about going the DirectTV route myself, but I have heard several complaints about it regularly going out during storms. Anyone have any insight into this?

Thinking about going the DirectTV route myself, but I have heard several complaints about it regularly going out during storms. Anyone have any insight into this?

I think this is a problem with all satellite tv. The dish has a hard time getting reception during downpours. I think wind and snow can play havoc too.

I think this is a problem with all satellite tv. The dish has a hard time getting reception during downpours. I think wind and snow can play havoc too.

I have had dish network for about 4 and a half years, and rarely do we lose a signal, expect during really hard rain. I haven't noticed wind being a problem, I can see where snow could be an issue but Owensboro, really doesn't ever get any.

That is a downside to satellite but as soon as the rain lessens you get the picture back immediately, whereas with cable if it goes out it could be out a while. Pick your poison, I guess, but the loss of reception to me really isn't frequent enought to factor into a decison as to whether to get cable or dish.

I have DISHNet and HD. They had to put in a special HD box for me to be able to pick it up. It comes in clear as a bell for everything that's in HD, except the network channels (ABC, FOX, etc). For some reason I can't get HD on them even when they say they're showing in HD. This is frustrating, especially when I want to see some of the sporting events, like football games, in HD. Does anyone else have this problem?

Also, the local cable in our area say they can't do HD and won't be able to for several years. I don't know why, unless they don't yet have the technology. So, many folks are going to satelitte.

We have Direct TV and love it. We have HD DVR to pick up the HD channels. Just because you have HD channel doesn't mean you are getting a high def picture. In fact if you don't have the HD receiver picture can look really bad. We get all local channels in HD as well as the sister channel that isn't HD. Also TNT, TBS, NGC, Animal Planet, Discovery, HD NET, HD Movie channel, HD MGM Movie channel and numerous others in HD plus they are continually adding more that doesn't affect our plan as long as we have the reciever. Our other two tv's just have the regular recievers and no HD but we are able to get reception for both with one dish. As for bad weather......very rarely does it lose a signal and like someone said it searches for signal until it picks it back up vs. having your cable go out for longer periods of time. I would highly recommend Direct TV and I have had great experiences with the customer service. We have had a few glitches that they can fix over the phone.

What's a good 28-32 inch HDTV to look into buying? I'm not willing to break the bank, only spend a few bills.

I purchased a 32" Polaroid about 3 years ago for $799.00. (At the time it was the first 32" that I found under a grand). I have been really happy with it. It is only 720p but I think the HD picture is amazing. I'm not sure that 1080p is really worth it on that size of a screen. Another nice feature is that it has a port in which I can hook up my lap top and use the the TV as a monitor.

Walmart is selling a 32" Polaroid for $499.00. Vizio is also supposed to have a pretty nice HDTV for the money.

I purchased a 32" Polaroid about 3 years ago for $799.00. (At the time it was the first 32" that I found under a grand). I have been really happy with it. It is only 720p but I think the HD picture is amazing. I'm not sure that 1080p is really worth it on that size of a screen. Another nice feature is that it has a port in which I can hook up my lap top and use the the TV as a monitor.

Walmart is selling a 32" Polaroid for $499.00. Vizio is also supposed to have a pretty nice HDTV for the money.

I'll have to check Walmart out.

Have heard a lot of good things about the Vizio sets.

Right now I am real partial to the Samsung tv's.

I have a 50 inch DLP, and love it.

HD sets have the highest return rate of any appliance because people dont fully understand them and depending on your service the picture may be sort of fuzzy when it is not broadcast in HD. The real issue is with analog which presently Insight uses in its channels 2-73. They say digital but it really isnt, you have to purchase the digital package.

I may be off, but if you want a good HD picture, I would go with a little bigger TV than 32 inch.

You need that widescreen/letterbox to really bring out the HD. On a 32, when you watch non-HD channels the picture may really be cropped.

Depending on where you live, DTV will allow you to receive the major networks in HD from another market if you have an issue trying to receive the locals.

We have Direct TV and love it. We have HD DVR to pick up the HD channels. Just because you have HD channel doesn't mean you are getting a high def picture. In fact if you don't have the HD receiver picture can look really bad. We get all local channels in HD as well as the sister channel that isn't HD. Also TNT, TBS, NGC, Animal Planet, Discovery, HD NET, HD Movie channel, HD MGM Movie channel and numerous others in HD plus they are continually adding more that doesn't affect our plan as long as we have the reciever. Our other two tv's just have the regular recievers and no HD but we are able to get reception for both with one dish. As for bad weather......very rarely does it lose a signal and like someone said it searches for signal until it picks it back up vs. having your cable go out for longer periods of time. I would highly recommend Direct TV and I have had great experiences with the customer service. We have had a few glitches that they can fix over the phone.

Do you have problems with reception during rain or thunder storms?