HDTV

phil shil

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have an HDTV but it doesn't bring in an HD picture. Is there a certain box I have to buy or does the HD come through the cable/dish provider. I should probably know this, but my young electronic-savvy mind is leaving me.

I have Dish and they have a desent HD plan...I hear Direct Tv is working good HD plan...

Still, you should be able to pick up the network HD channels over the air. For ESPN and others, however, you will have to subscribe to a digital package through cable or satellite, and get a box.

I just have regular digital cable with Insight. I have a Sanyo HDTV. So in order to watch HD with a HDTV you have to purchase an HD package through your provider?

I just have regular digital cable with Insight. I have a Sanyo HDTV. So in order to watch HD with a HDTV you have to purchase an HD package through your provider?

Yup. But, you should still be able to get stuff over the air, such as CBS/NBC/Fox/KET/ABC etc.

give your model # and I'll look it up and tell you if you have a dig tuner or a QAM tuner.

If it has a dig tuner (ATSC) you can hook up any cheap set of rabbit ears and get HDTV as long as it's available in your area.

If you have a QAM tuner you can get local HD channels and KET free over the cable feed.

With Insight, you will be required to have their digital package with an HD add-on. You must also have an HD capable cable box (or cable card if your TV has a slot). Last I checked, the HD DVR cable box costs $15 per month while the cable card costs $2 per month.

When all is said and done, DirectTV will cost less and give you more HD channels. However, I like knowing I have a hard-wired cable conenction that won't go out because of rain / storms. The choice is yours.