A new low for the Courier Journal

All Tell

Lottery Winner's Name Published

The winner of a recent multi-million dollar Powerball lottery had his name published by the Courier Journal despite the winners request for annonimity. The Courier Jorunal went so far as to file a Freedom of Information request with the Kentucky Lottery in order to get the information. Someone please explain to me how this is important enough that the Courier seems to feel thay have a right or obligation to expressly dismiss this man's wishes.

I can tell you one thing, when I win the lottery I'm not telling anyone until it is absolutely necessary. Winning the powerball changes your life, not only in terms of you have a lot more money, but you also gain a lot of "friends" who like to ask for favors.

I honestly wouldn't care if they put my name in the paper. I'd just hire someone to answer my phone when all my "friends" called and tell them I wasn't around.

If I ever won the lottery I'm sure I'd give more away than I'd keep. The majority of it would go to close friends and family. I'd also go by the rule that if I haven't talked to you in the last week or two, don't call for your share because it's not gonna be that much.

Is the lottery a state agency or a private entity? What if the state kept road contracts private at the winning bidder's request?

I can see why there would be outrage but it is a state-run agency we're talking about and thus covered by the same policy regarding open records. Correct?

I honestly wouldn't care if they put my name in the paper. I'd just hire someone to answer my phone when all my "friends" called and tell them I wasn't around.

If I ever won the lottery I'm sure I'd give more away than I'd keep. The majority of it would go to close friends and family. I'd also go by the rule that if I haven't talked to you in the last week or two, don't call for your share because it's not gonna be that much.

Of course you give some to the close friends and family as well as church/charity, I just would get tired of the people that I hung out with a couple times a few years ago calling asking for a loan.

Of course you give some to the close friends and family as well as church/charity, I just would get tired of the people that I hung out with a couple times a few years ago calling asking for a loan.

Thats the people I'm talking about. If I haven't seen you in a week or two or haven't got a phone call from ya, don't call asking for a handout.

From the Lottery Commission:

CAN I REMAIN ANONYMOUS WHEN I HIT THE JACKPOT?

All but three states (DE, KS, ND) have laws that require the lottery to release the name and city of residence to anyone who asks. One state (SC) will keep your name secret if you request it, but if someone files a Freedom of Information Act request, you may have to file a plea with the judge to deny it. Another state (OK) now has a law that allows you to claim in a trust and to keep your name from the press (though the lottery will run checks on you). Photos and press conferences are always up to you. Most of the time, it is advisable to get it over with the press so that you don't have one or more reporters following you around to get that "exclusive" interview. A few more lotteries may work with you on setting up a trust or other partnership. You or your representative should contact the lottery for the details after you win.

Is the lottery a state agency or a private entity? What if the state kept road contracts private at the winning bidder's request?

I can see why there would be outrage but it is a state-run agency we're talking about and thus covered by the same policy regarding open records. Correct?

Yes. I would be more concerned if they weren't naming the winners.

I've always looked at it this way: If by some random stroke of luck I should happen to win one, they can go ahead and name me as long as they don't release my address or phone number. (Especially the latter, since my "home" phone is my mobile.)

After I pick up the check, I expect to be on a Bahama for an extended stay. When last I checked, there are more than a couple of those ;) and it would take a while to work through them all. Nobody's that desperate to get a story. :lol:

I've always looked at it this way: If by some random stroke of luck I should happen to win one, they can go ahead and name me as long as they don't release my address or phone number. (Especially the latter, since my "home" phone is my mobile.)

After I pick up the check, I expect to be on a Bahama for an extended stay. When last I checked, there are more than a couple of those ;) and it would take a while to work through them all. Nobody's that desperate to get a story. :lol:

If you won, you could get a NEW phone number and a NEW address. You could get NEW friends, a NEW dog, and a your very own NEW website.:ylsuper: