A KHSAA Rule or good manners

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No rule, just bad manners. They need to leave the noise to the crowd.

Per previous NFHS rules interpretations, the band may NOT play when the opponent is at the line. I suspect you may see something proposed to tighten that down even further as it has become a major problem nationwide. The band should shut up when the huddle breaks.

Witnessed it last year when Cov Cath was playing Elder @ Nippert Stadium. Elder's band is large and was situated near the goal line. The Elder band struck up a tune as Cov Cath was near the goal line. You guessed it, Cov Cath had a motion penalty.... I do not recollect a band getting an unsportsmanlike penalty. :sssh:

Happened last night in the Anderson - Oldham game. Referees stopped play and told the band director to cool it. Band was pretty rude after the game also, walking by the Anderson team and playing their drums. Anderson was having their team prayer at the time.

It should be a penalty hands down if it happens continually. I believe once a game you could give it a warning kind of like sideline infraction first time it happens, because occasionally the band director may just get in to what he is doing and not see the huddle break. But the second time it should be a penalty.

Wonder why it's OK for college bands to play through the action but not high school bands? I've heard college bands play right through extra-point kicks when they start up the fight song after a TD, and I've even heard some play virtually non-stop through the game. I like the high school rule a little better, but I don't understand the distinction.

Wonder why it's OK for college bands to play through the action but not high school bands? I've heard college bands play right through extra-point kicks when they start up the fight song after a TD, and I've even heard some play virtually non-stop through the game. I like the high school rule a little better, but I don't understand the distinction.

Really, there is no rule against high school bands playing during a contest. Rule 9 does have a catch-all provision: (9-9-1...A player or nonplayer or person not subject to the rules shall not hinder play by an unfair act which has no specifiic rule coverage.)

In college football, it's more specific: 9-2-1...Persons subject to the rules, including bands, shall not create any noise that prohibits a team from hearing its signals.

In college football, it's more specific: 9-2-1...Persons subject to the rules, including bands, shall not create any noise that prohibits a team from hearing its signals.

Wouldn't that apply to all the fans in the stadium during most college games or are fans not considered "persons subject to the rules"?

On this same issue, are airhorns (the bottled air type bought at WalMart) illegal for use during games?