A KHSAA Rule or good manners

Been going to Dayton games regularly for four years now and many times have complained that they play when Dayton's on offense and defense. Actually complained to the head coach to at least tell them to only play when the other team has the ball. I'm not sure they know when Dayton's on offense or defense...

They are in the band what do you expect? If they knew what offense and defense was, they would be on the field. Also, I think they should outlaw bands at all sporting events until they learn how to play Hendrix or the Beatles.:flame:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could be wrong, but I believe things like air horns aren't illegal unless the school or association has a ban on artificial noisemakers like the SEC does. A horn doesn't stop play in football, so there's no deception involved. They might be considered unsporting, however, and if they became a problem they could lead to an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty.

The use of artificial noise makers are prohibited at all NHSF sanctioned sports. This included airhorns, whistles, etc.

They are in the band what do you expect? If they knew what offense and defense was, they would be on the field. Also, I think they should outlaw bands at all sporting events until they learn how to play Hendrix or the Beatles.:flame:

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Thats funny right there I don't care who you are!

Dayton does this all the time. Whether they are playing at home or at a visiting stadium. They used to have to do anything possible to win, so that means letting there band that has about 5 people play whatever the heck they want, but they don't need to do that anymore. Its sounds like crap and is bad manners. I hope they melt down all of Dayton's music equipment because crap like this is just not needed and is the mark of a team with no class, and Dayton's football HAS been showing class. Dont let the band change peoples minds.

Like mitts said they play whenever, and even if they did play when Dayton was on defense it has absolutely NO effect on the game for several reasons.

1) Way too small to make any amount of noise, have something like 10 or so members.

2) Not ONE player on the field pays any attention to the crowd or the band and thats period. If a player is paying attention to any of them then they shouldn't be on the field and I hope Dayton is playing someone like that.

3) Both teams crowd make WAY more noise than any band does.

So to say Dayton doesn't have class because thier band plays all the time is ridiculous, and to say that it how they had to win is ridiculous too.

I'll stand by my post (gently, of course, but firm).

For verification since some of us are more hard to convince than others, you simply need to download the postseason instruction manual from the KHSAA football page. i suspect it is a rule primarily used for postseason play that is also supposed to be used in regular season play, but not rigidly enforced.

So what is wrong with being in the band? The band leader should learn offense and defense and cut them off , he canturn around and look the band members can't.;)

Along the same lines when is celebration by the home team too much?

Attended a game on Friday, they shot a cannon, set off fireworks, and blew this awful horn that sounded like a sick train! Way over board unless your team just doesn't score very often.The announcer also had to give that annoying drawn out first down call too. As if all the other celebration of normal events of a game weren't enough.

Along the same lines when is celebration by the home team too much?

Attended a game on Friday, they shot a cannon, set off fireworks, and blew this awful horn that sounded like a sick train! Way over board unless your team just doesn't score very often.The announcer also had to give that annoying drawn out first down call too. As if all the other celebration of normal events of a game weren't enough.

I wasn't bothered by the cannon or the fireworks, but the train horn was beyond annoying. Even the home team fans were annoyed with the announcer. They should really look into changing some things.

Happened last night in the Anderson - Oldham game. Referees stopped play and told the band director to cool it. Band was pretty rude after the game also, walking by the Anderson team and playing their drums. Anderson was having their team prayer at the time.

It's called a cadence. Every band marches to one. [/band nerd]

So what is wrong with being in the band? I am a DRUMMERThe band leader should learn offense and defenseYes, HE SHOULD:lol: and cut them off , he canturn around and look the band members can't.;)What if they are sitting in the stands. Isn't the band director the one with his/her back to the field?

I LOVE FOOTBALL!!!

I wouldn't call it bad manners, I would call it home field advantage. Let the band have fun.

My children all play sports,but I recocognize everyone's right to show spirit and have fun supporting their team.At FCHS games there is a particular gentleman who cheers and urges the crowd on the whole game.He is undoubtedly having nearly as good of time as the players!I don't think most bands or fans have much effect on the games at high school football fields in KY.If they can't perform under these conditions, God help them if they ever play at Neyland Stadium,Commonwealth,or the Pizza box!!!!You nailed this one Hector!

My children all play sports,but I recocognize everyone's right to show spirit and have fun supporting their team.At FCHS games there is a particular gentleman who cheers and urges the crowd on the whole game.He is undoubtedly having nearly as good of time as the players!I don't think most bands or fans have much effect on the games at high school football fields in KY.If they can't perform under these conditions, God help them if they ever play at Neyland Stadium,Commonwealth,or the Pizza box!!!!You nailed this one Hector!

Exactly!!!!:thumb:

I wasn't bothered by the cannon or the fireworks, but the train horn was beyond annoying. Even the home team fans were annoyed with the announcer. They should really look into changing some things.

a few years ago Southwestern was playing at McCreary Central, a member of the chain crew and the man from Southwestern that put off the cannon almost got into a fight. The guy from McCreary was upset because deer season was opening the next day and he thought that the cannon would scare all deer away.