Torre says "No thanks"

This is a rarity, but Joe Torre is one person I'd like to hug...

It's a short list...but a grande one...

Owners have a place in the game but when they try to become the focal point, dictate to the GM, President and Manager, on whom/when/where/why....you become a Steinbrenner.

Difficult to imagine, that one of the greatest manager jobs in all of sports, can also be the least enjoyable.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Torre: "You're going to get me choked up again." Love this guy...

:thumb: It is difficult to not be a fan of Torre. I think I could pull for any team he manages. He has a tremendous knowledge for the game and his passion for baseball can be heard when he speaks.

If he doesn't manage again, what would you think of Torre as Commissioner?

:thumb: It is difficult to not be a fan of Torre. I think I could pull for any team he manages. He has a tremendous knowledge for the game and his passion for baseball can be heard when he speaks.

If he doesn't manage again, what would you think of Torre as Commissioner?

Wouldn't it be kind of poetic justice if he became commissioner and enacted a hard salary cap of, say, $150 million per team?

I don't really have a big problem with the contract the Yanks offered Torre. He got paid for his 4 rings on his last contract.
...but I know you and believe you would agree, the comments about Torre either winning or not being retained, during the series wasn't the right move either by GS.

You never take the focus off task at hand, to admonish a Manager in the media.

...but I know you and believe you would agree, the comments about Torre either winning or not being retained, during the series wasn't the right move either by GS.

You never take the focus off task at hand, to admonish a Manager in the media.

I'm not saying the Yanks handled this well but I understand their decision. Torre has not produced a WS ring in a while and that's what he was paid to do, thus, the lower offer.

I'm not saying the Yanks handled this well but I understand their decision. Torre has not produced a WS ring in a while and that's what he was paid to do, thus, the lower offer.
I truly have no problem with the offer, the reduction and incentive based contracts (which I'm in favor for players also) but the way they handled it, win or else, when you trying to win a Series....No, no way.

Torre can leave, be more than financially secure and watch his former players. The bond between the players and himself, is what will be missed and not GS.

With that said, when you make $6mil and Manage in NY, all eyes upon can be heavy on the shoulders.

I listened to Joe Torre's press conference a little earlier this afternoon and he was as expected...............All Class. He basically backed up what a lot of us were thinking in that it wasn't about the money it was about respect. When ask if he thought that there was anyone in that room/meeting that he thought was on his side, he paused for a while and sad One, maybe two. I would think that he meant B. Cashman.

Torre also said that he loved his players and a few had called and they had talked for awhile - he didn't mention which players or what was said. Torre in his all class manner stated - I am not going to say who bc of fairly obvious reasons (they still have to remain on the team).

Torre said that he loved New York - wouldn't it be funny if he ended up with the Mets / same city.

I listened to Joe Torre's press conference a little earlier this afternoon and he was as expected...............All Class. He basically backed up what a lot of us were thinking in that it wasn't about the money it was about respect. When ask if he thought that there was anyone in that room/meeting that he thought was on his side, he paused for a while and sad One, maybe two. I would think that he meant B. Cashman.

Torre also said that he loved his players and a few had called and they had talked for awhile - he didn't mention which players or what was said. Torre in his all class manner stated - I am not going to say who bc of fairly obvious reasons (they still have to remain on the team).

Torre said that he loved New York - wouldn't it be funny if he ended up with the Mets / same city.

He confirmed it was Cashman later in the interview...