2007/2008 Rose Hill Christian

Thanks for your opinion and was very, very, very well delivered and allowed me to reflect upon my comments. You have opened my eyes and allowed me to actually agree with you in almost all of your statements. I still do not believe that RH's church should be funding athletic teams. If it is the desires of many people surrounding these programs to have an excellence in athletics, then those people should fund it themselves. I do not want to argue, nor offend anyone and I will not post anymore statements in the basketball forum on these issues on this strand (maybe I should not have in the first place), but it amuses me when the Lexington papers and a few publications refer to Rose Hill as Rose Hill Academy and not Rose Hill Christian School. This is only a "personal" opinion and with it and 75 cents I can buy a can of pop.

To all the RH posters, I sincerely apologize and do not mean any disrespect to you and any players, I just have personal issues.:creepy:

I’m not pushing you to open a can of worms here, but your response (which is apparently shared by certain others) puzzles me.

I won’t argue that RH church does many good things to assist RH school, but if there’s a line item in their budget for financing athletics (beyond basic facilities and providing transportation to and from events) as you suggest, parents and coaches are unaware of it. Parents dig into their own pockets and coaches fundraise to support the kids and teams… and have for years.

Very few high school athletes go on to play sports in college. Fewer still play professionally, but virtually all learn valuable life lessons from their participation in sports. There are few things that teach the value of hard work, perseverance, or dealing with success and failure more immediately and effectively than athletic competition. If a school is truly focused on preparing young people to face the challenges of life, athletics must be at least a part of the overall plan.

I just spent the afternoon yesterday with a young man competing in a cross country event against many runners his age from public schools. Other than the five-year-old jersey on his back and the five dollar tournament entry fee, his parents paid for his shoes, warm up suit, training, travel and everything else that led to his participation in the event. (XC isn’t exactly a big revenue sport…)

Before the race began, he prayed with his mom and dad asking God to give him strength and to protect him and his competitors from serious injury… he asked God to receive his sweat and effort as an offering of love in honor of the talent God has given him.

After the race began, he prayed continuously as he ran, asking God to help him run through the pain (which never truly goes away… ) asking God to help him not let down his family and school… asking God to help him do his best.

I watched him run his guts out to honor the One who gave him the ability to run.

Whether he actually won the race or not, he was/is learning how to deal successfully with the challenges life will undoubtedly throw his way.

He is but one of dozens of similar young athletes being equipped in a manner any truly Christian church should support in spirit and doctrine… if not financially.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting that C.S. attends most games and seems to enjoy himself thouroughly. He frequently tells the kids and coaches he's proud of their efforts. It's also interesting that you seem to know more about C.S.'s vision than C.S. apparently does himself.

I'm not about to defend everyone and everything that goes on at the Hill. There are definitely a bunch of humans there doing what humans do best... trying and failing and trying again. The idea that Christians are supposed to be meek little sheep and be happy with whatever happens to them could be why more people don't really want to be Chirstians... or why some of those who claim to be Christians aren't more effective.

If a Christian education does not include being the best you can be, and doing everything you do with excellence as though you are doing it for God Himself, it's not much of an education IMO... Christian or otherwise.

If everyone comes there for a Christian education , Why did so many leave when OJ left? Where they there for the Bible or for Basketball.I dont blame you for not defending alot that goes on at the Hill because you know its not all about Christian education when it comes to Basketball at the Hill.

If everyone comes there for a Christian education , Why did so many leave when OJ left? Where they there for the Bible or for Basketball.I dont blame you for not defending alot that goes on at the Hill because you know its not all about Christian education when it comes to Basketball at the Hill.

Well said, When I sent our children to a Christian school , I sent them for the Christian learning. they did play sports and I did pay, not for just their education , but for their sports. The tax thing bothers me , it was my choice to pay for their education to prvide for them a better learning atmosphere and to become a better person.:walk:

You guys are cracking me up. I’m gonna tell you right here in public I like you and I like your son a lot. He’s a great kid. I wish him nothing but the best, but if you’re gonna bust my zone, at least quote me for something I actually said… not some urban myth.

I never said, "Everyone comes there (Rose Hill) for a Christian education." I know better. They should… but the sad reality is, not everyone comes with that at the top of their list. My hope is that by getting them there, they will ultimately see and appreciate the difference and will experience a very positive change in their own lives.

Isn’t honesty refreshing?

I did however, defend some of the principles a Christian education should include… which in my opinion includes practicing hard and playing to win in athletic competition.

If athletic success is truly something Christians should not be so eager to pursue, what does that say about your program and the emphasis it puts on a winning tradition, championship titles and all-state athletes?

If it is really truly wrong, why pursue it?

If it is not wrong, why do so many want to bust RH’s chops for attempting to do it too? Does that not seem just a bit hypocritical? It’s like the Globetrotters getting mad at the Generals for actually trying. (Okay, maybe not exactly like that, but you get my drift… :lol: )

Love him or hate him, OJ is about 2,000 miles away and hasn’t suited up in Royal Blue since 2003. Why are you asking me about all the kids and families that skedaddled when OJ and Jeff Hall left the Hill? How could I possibly know what their real motives were? I had nothing to do with any of them being there in the first place. I can only imagine why they left. I certainly don’t feel any guilt or shame when you remind me of it… only disappointment they didn’t stick around.

The point of this thread is what the current Rose Hill team needs to do to be effective this season. Discussing the OJ era makes as much sense as us debating why Flynn didn’t win more regional titles in his term at Blazer… at least Flynn is more recent.

To that end, I will say that Euton and Jackson are two of the hardest working elite players in the state. If every other kid on the RH team invests the same energy and effort, Rose Hill will be fine this season. They won’t surprise anyone, that’s kinda hard to do with a UK recruit and another future D-1 starter in the lineup. With even a little support from three or four other kids, RH should have a very successful season against genuine competition.

It will be interesting for sure… :thumb:

I'll defend the basketball program at RH. Coach Tim Fraley is a true Christian MAN. He is tough, and he enjoys winning. If he didn't he would not be a good coach. Tim has produced a lot of great MEN while coaching at RH, my son being one of them. Nobody had a problem with the program when OJ left and the team struggled. I remember the big joke being they could not even hit a layup in warmups. And then again my son was one of those kids.

Now that they are able to compete with some of the "elite" schools in the region, there is a problem with some at the school.

I know the people involved with the basketball program NOW. I know the people who are involved with the school NOW. And I assure you the school will strive for excellence in everything they do. But they will never forget their mission of producing students firmly grounded with Christian beliefs.

You guys are cracking me up. I’m gonna tell you right here in public I like you and I like your son a lot. He’s a great kid. I wish him nothing but the best, but if you’re gonna bust my zone, at least quote me for something I actually said… not some urban myth.

I never said, "Everyone comes there (Rose Hill) for a Christian education." I know better. They should… but the sad reality is, not everyone comes with that at the top of their list. My hope is that by getting them there, they will ultimately see and appreciate the difference and will experience a very positive change in their own lives.

Isn’t honesty refreshing?

I did however, defend some of the principles a Christian education should include… which in my opinion includes practicing hard and playing to win in athletic competition.

If athletic success is truly something Christians should not be so eager to pursue, what does that say about your program and the emphasis it puts on a winning tradition, championship titles and all-state athletes?

If it is really truly wrong, why pursue it?

If it is not wrong, why do so many want to bust RH’s chops for attempting to do it too? Does that not seem just a bit hypocritical? It’s like the Globetrotters getting mad at the Generals for actually trying. (Okay, maybe not exactly like that, but you get my drift… :lol: )

Love him or hate him, OJ is about 2,000 miles away and hasn’t suited up in Royal Blue since 2003. Why are you asking me about all the kids and families that skedaddled when OJ and Jeff Hall left the Hill? How could I possibly know what their real motives were? I had nothing to do with any of them being there in the first place. I can only imagine why they left. I certainly don’t feel any guilt or shame when you remind me of it… only disappointment they didn’t stick around.

The point of this thread is what the current Rose Hill team needs to do to be effective this season. Discussing the OJ era makes as much sense as us debating why Flynn didn’t win more regional titles in his term at Blazer… at least Flynn is more recent.

To that end, I will say that Euton and Jackson are two of the hardest working elite players in the state. If every other kid on the RH team invests the same energy and effort, Rose Hill will be fine this season. They won’t surprise anyone, that’s kinda hard to do with a UK recruit and another future D-1 starter in the lineup. With even a little support from three or four other kids, RH should have a very successful season against genuine competition.

It will be interesting for sure… :thumb:

I also like your son ,he is a great kid.The last time I saw him he said he was thinking of returning home,that makes me wonder why he left in the first place.:confused:Will he be getting any JV or V time this year? I would think a player like him would help out any team he plays on.Good luck to Little Fastbreak.:thumb:

I also like your son ,he is a great kid.The last time I saw him he said he was thinking of returning home,that makes me wonder why he left in the first place.:confused:Will he be getting any JV or V time this year? I would think a player like him would help out any team he plays on.Good luck to Little Fastbreak.:thumb:
What... no love for me? :lol:

You just can't resist stirring the pot can you?

Little FB ain't so little anymore... when I was 15 I was "thinking" about playing for the Reds. I got invited to a couple of tryouts when I got older, but no contract. :lol:

If by “home” you mean returning to Nashville where he was born and spent his early years, I have had a couple of excellent opportunities we kicked around, but we’re kinda wanting to stick around and see what happens in the 16th. It’s just starting to get fun. :thumb:

:laugh:

What... no love for me? :lol:

You just can't resist stirring the pot can you?

Little FB ain't so little anymore... when I was 15 I was "thinking" about playing for the Reds. I got invited to a couple of tryouts when I got older, but no contract. :lol:

If by “home” you mean returning to Nashville where he was born and spent his early years, I have had a couple of excellent opportunities we kicked around, but we’re kinda wanting to stick around and see what happens in the 16th. It’s just starting to get fun. :thumb:

:laugh:

Lets get this one back on topic guy's, and thats not whether or not Rose Hill is really a christian church!!!!:D Just joking but I did feel a little hint of power when I first started writing!!!:jump:
That is not an unusual sensation when you slosh your beverage into an electronic keyboard... :lol:

I love how folks are threatened by RH now. You'd have never seen this type of banter when they were the doormat and struggling to win 3 or 4 games a season. Classic! And I say Praise the Lord for it all! As for constructive help for Rose Hill, seems you are doing quite well or we wouldn't have the clamor about the program. Keep it up!:thumb:

Oh, and they also have a football team I heard. Just a little tidbit I thought I'd throw out there. The church must be makin' a killin'.:lol:

Do not know if E.Carter or Raceland can win 3 games in the region but htey could definitely win 2. Everyone better not forget them when you think of teams that could cause problems for Elliott & RH.

I watched both E. Carter and Raceland play this summer. I agree that both of these teams have talent.