Bengals defense has gotten worse under the "defensive guru"

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Colts defense became more than average as they made their playoff run last year.

Yes they really got on a roll or peaked at the right time, but the defense that helped them get to the playoffs was average at best.

I know the Offense carried the team too.

http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070921/SPT03/709210330/1035/SPT

Actually, the defense has slipped a good bit since Lewis arrived. In his four Cincinnati seasons, the Bengals' battered unit has been ranked 28th, 19th, 28th and 30th in the 32-team NFL. (It should be noted, however, that the 2005 playoff team led the league in creating turnovers.) In the previous four - the heyday of Spikes and running mate Brian Simmons - the Bengals stood 25th, 22nd, ninth and 17th defensively.

I think maybe the biggest mistake Marvin made was not keeping Leslie Frazier. I know he thought he made a mistake in even hiring Frazier, but maybe it was a mistake to get rid of him. I mean in Frazier second year they did jump up 9 spots in the defensive category. I know I liked Frazier better than I do Chuck, because Frazier would actually seem like he would always want his defense attacking the offense, instead of sitting back like Chuck does MOST GAMES...

I think maybe the biggest mistake Marvin made was not keeping Leslie Frazier. I know he thought he made a mistake in even hiring Frazier, but maybe it was a mistake to get rid of him. I mean in Frazier second year they did jump up 9 spots in the defensive category. I know I liked Frazier better than I do Chuck, because Frazier would actually seem like he would always want his defense attacking the offense, instead of sitting back like Chuck does MOST GAMES...

I could be wrong, but I thought Frazier was a big advocate of the read and react philosophy.

I could be wrong, but I thought Frazier was a big advocate of the read and react philosophy.

I just remember when watching him as the defensive coordinator that we were doing alot more blitzing, which it in my eyes mean we are attacking alot more. However he didn't have the most talented guys in his defensive to do that blitzing very effectively. Now we have a young defensive but a very athletic defense, and if he had this group still I think his scheme would very well with these guys. Or atleast better than it has with Chuck...

Frazier blitzed a lot, and that wasn't what Marvin wanted...

That is why I wish we had Frazier still. Our Defensive line is no where near good enough to get even close to consistent pressure on the QB. Which of coarse is going to kill our secondary, no matter who we would have back there. We have to blitz to help our D-line get any pressure on the QB... This defense is just not that good, so if we are going to give up points and big plays. I would atleast like to see it be because of us trying to blitz and attacking the offensive, instead of just sitting back and letting the offense do whatever it wants..

That is why I wish we had Frazier still. Our Defensive line is no where near good enough to get even close to consistent pressure on the QB. Which of coarse is going to kill our secondary, no matter who we would have back there. We have to blitz to help our D-line get any pressure on the QB... This defense is just not that good, so if we are going to give up points and big plays. I would atleast like to see it be because of us trying to blitz and attacking the offensive, instead of just sitting back and letting the offense do whatever it wants..

I think you need to re-watch the Browns game. They blitzed just as much as they did against Baltimore, but every single time the Browns put a hat on a hat. I haven't had the time to compare, but my guess is they ran mostly the same stuff they did against the Ravens and it became predictable. That's my main problem with Chuck. He is going to stick to running mostly the same looks, and it's picked up easily by the opponents...

I think you need to re-watch the Browns game. They blitzed just as much as they did against Baltimore, but every single time the Browns put a hat on a hat. I haven't had the time to compare, but my guess is they ran mostly the same stuff they did against the Ravens and it became predictable. That's my main problem with Chuck. He is going to stick to running mostly the same looks, and it's picked up easily by the opponents...

Chuck said that they ran the same blitz scheme. The problem, as I saw it, was who was blitzing. Caleb Miller blitzing the A gap doesn't push the pocket like Brooks blitzing up the middle. Jackson gives his blitzes away, and I don't believe that Marshall was able to get a step. It could have had a lot to do with Steinbach's familiarity with their blitzing scheme, but that's hearsay. Sunday, the Bengals blitzed tentavely, leaving DB's one-on-one with players who were better than them. Anderson and the line picked them up and Hall, Williams, and Joseph just got beat.

Chuck said that they ran the same blitz scheme. The problem, as I saw it, was who was blitzing. Caleb Miller blitzing the A gap doesn't push the pocket like Brooks blitzing up the middle. Jackson gives his blitzes away, and I don't believe that Marshall was able to get a step. It could have had a lot to do with Steinbach's familiarity with their blitzing scheme, but that's hearsay. Sunday, the Bengals blitzed tentavely, leaving DB's one-on-one with players who were better than them. Anderson and the line picked them up and Hall, Williams, and Joseph just got beat.

We saw a lot of the same things...