Bourbon County Boycott?

theguru

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe the "privates" can boycott bourbon in retaliation. :banana:

I do not like to see this boycott stuff because I believe it weakens the public schools with the decrease in level of competition. Also, as mentioned elsewhere, the privates do usually bring a good number of fans to the public venues and many dollars are earned with added concession, ticket, & program sales.

The lack of private schools in central KY, and especially the ones that play Bourbon, is what makes this so stupid/comical. You are really taking a stand by not playing one or two teams that you may normally see.

From a football standpoint, this doesn't mean much. Bourbon was in Lexington Catholic's district the past few years, but they have since changed districts. I highly doubt any privates from NKY or Louisville would want to play Bourbon either.

From a basketball standpoint, this will basically take away playing (and losing to) Sayre, Lexington Catholic, Richmond Model, and maybe some other smaller privates that I am overlooking. It is probably the same for baseball, soccer, softball, etc. as well.

The lack of private schools in central KY, and especially the ones that play Bourbon, is what makes this so stupid/comical. You are really taking a stand by not playing one or two teams that you may normally see.

From a football standpoint, this doesn't mean much. Bourbon was in Lexington Catholic's district the past few years, but they have since changed districts. I highly doubt any privates from NKY or Louisville would want to play Bourbon either.

From a basketball standpoint, this will basically take away playing (and losing to) Sayre, Lexington Catholic, Richmond Model, and maybe some other smaller privates that I am overlooking. It is probably the same for baseball, soccer, softball, etc. as well.

Bishop Brossart and St. Patrick are in Bourbon's region for basketball and some of the other sports.

Lex Catholic, Lex Christ, Sayre and maybe Model are within 30 minutes.

I hope this isn't the case for their boys golf team. We are supposed to have a tri-match with them and Lexington Catholic in a couple of weeks.....

My understanding they are to honor all contracts. Not schedule any new ones.

I'm not sure what a boycott does besides tell your student-athletes that you don't think they can compete with kids at private schools. They are all high school kids, regardless of where they come from...

Or you disagree with something they have done and don't want to play them.

There are coaches in the past that I have thought run the score up on opponents that were not able to compete with them. Starters in late 4th quarter, pressing, and up by 20 or more. Was I sending a message to my team that we could not compete? Sometimes you don't agree with something your opponent is doing and choose an equilivant opponent to compete against.

In girls' basketball, if we would have decided to not play Brossart, we could easily schedule Highlands, Boone County, Conner, and a whole host of other schools that would be just as good competition.

My understanding they are to honor all contracts. Not schedule any new ones.

Or you disagree with something they have done and don't want to play them.

There are coaches in the past that I have thought run the score up on opponents that were not able to compete with them. Starters in late 4th quarter, pressing, and up by 20 or more. Was I sending a message to my team that we could not compete? Sometimes you don't agree with something your opponent is doing and choose an equilivant opponent to compete against.

In girls' basketball, if we would have decided to not play Brossart, we could easily schedule Highlands, Boone County, Conner, and a whole host of other schools that would be just as good competition.

You not playing a team because their coach runs up the score and Bourbon not playing ALL private schools because they don't think it's a 'level playing field' is apples and oranges. That's WAY too big of a blanket and there are plenty of public schools that do the same thing. It's childish...

You not playing a team because their coach runs up the score and Bourbon not playing ALL private schools because they don't think it's a 'level playing field' is apples and oranges. That's WAY too big of a blanket and there are plenty of public schools that do the same thing. It's childish...

Some would say me not playing a team because the coach runs up the score is childish. That I should work harder and get better and compete (sound familiar) against that team rather than expect her to call the dogs off.

I cannot speak for Bourbon on why they made that call.

But schools ALL THE TIME, pick and choose who they are going to play against for a variety of reasons. This is just one of the possible reasons.