Pikeville 28 Louisville Holy Cross 18

Booge

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great win for Pikeville tonight beating a quality opponent like Louisville Holy Cross, this game was close but it probably shouldn't have been. Pikeville looked sloppy with early turnovers and constant delay of game penalties. But the defense solidified in the second half, and the Panthers pulled it out.

I first want to say thanks to Coach Jackson for all that you did for me this weekend and to say you are good people. I als want to make sure to say thanks in a big way for introducing me to the Pikeville College staff.

I am going to start working on the game report for this one as soon as I'm done with this post.

Great job Panthers winning ugly is something all good teams must do from time to time.

I was very impressed with the Holy Cross QB. He does a lot of the little things that never show up in the stats.

With the scored ties at zero and with about eight minutes left in the opening quarter Holy Cross got the first break of the contest when Deron Scott came up with a Pikeville fumble giving his team the ball at the Panthers fifteen yard line.

The Panthers defense whom seemed to swarm to the ball like a pack of killer African bees got a big hit by Tim Honaker on Jimmy Nauert the Cougars very talented quarterback causing his pass to go awry. The Cougars would find themself facing a fourth and two deep inside Panther territory with 6:37 showing on the clock and they decided to go for it. A decision Chaz Jackson would make them pay for when he sacked Nauert giving the Panthers the ball.

Daniel Harmon, easily the best player I watched this week to a handoff and then dashed seventy seven yards for the game first score. A two point pass completion by Tim Honaker to J. R. Robinson gave the Panther a 8-0 lead with 4:27 left in the first quarter.

On the ensuing kickoff the ball bounced off of a Holy Cross player and pouncing on for the Panthers was number 33, Taylor Ratliff. With 4:05 left ib the quarter Tim Honaker was able to connect with Watson Ritchie who after making the catch made a nice run picking up a total of seventeen yards on the play.

3:47 showed on the clock when Holy Cross got their second big break of the night this one came in the shape of a Ryan McDermott fumble recovery stopping what looked to be another Panther scoring drive.

Sean McCardlwell picked up twenty six yards on a nice run for the Cougars with 2:59 left in the opening quarter of play. Then just eighteen seconds later Chad Hazlewood blanketed by two Panther defenders leaped up to pull down a nice throw from his quarterback make the score 8-6 Panthers. A two-point pass attempt was broke up by James Cleary keeping the score, 8-6 Panthers.

Tim Honaker was trying to make something happen for his squad but he ended up putting the ball on the ground with twenty nine seconds left in the quarter and making the recovery for Holy Cross was number 26.

Nick House got the ball and went right to pick up eighteen yards with just 3:49 left in the first half. Then Nick McNeil hit pay dirt with 2:48 left in the half capping of a twelve- play ninty four yard drive. Tim Honaker was able to sack NAUERT on a two point conversion try keeping the score, 12-8 Holy Cross.

Pikeville would end the half with two nice plays The first coming from Tim Honaker. Who with the use of a very, very good stiff arm picked up twenty-four yards and then Harmon once again showed his talent by gaining twenty-two yards on a nice run.

As the teams came out onto the field to start the second half you could almost feel that someone was going to do something big to kick start their team it was just a matter of who that would be. That question was answered very loudly and just as quick when Holy Cross kicked deep to Daniel(TRIPLE THREAT) Harmon. Harmon fielded the kicked at the four used the strong blocking supplied by the kick return unit and then kicked it into gear bye-bye and scored six points. Then Tim Honaker kept uncle Mo. On the panthers side by scoring on the two-point conversion run making the score, 16-12 Pikeville with 11:44 left in the third.

Most of the rest of the third quarter both teams would take turns smacking each other in the mouth like to heavyweight fighter with neither be able to land that knock out punch. Then with 3:40 second left Tim Honaker connected with Watson Ritchie who took it seventy-three yards to the Holy Cross four-yard line. Then Harmon lit up the scoreboard by scoring from four-yards out. After a two-point try was turned back by Holy Cross the score remained 22-12 Panthers with 3:20 left in the hard hitting third quarter.

With 4:15 left in the game and Pikeville with the ball all looked good but once again Tim Honaker trying to do something extra to keep his team moving put the ball on the ground and like before Holy Cross came up with it. Making the recovery was Ryan McDermott. Honaker will learn that he does not have to turn every play into a special one and though he did make some mistakes one can not fault his effort nor should anyone make the mistake that he got down after making them. He should great leadership skills by keeping his composure most of the game.

Tyler Baker played hero for the Panthers with 3:37 left in the game when he picked off a pass by Nauret. The Panthers offense was immediate shut down by the Cougars and then after a nine-yard punt by the Panthers , the Holy Cross offense went to work needing only eleven-yards to score.

Nauret threw a pass for the score with 2:16 left in the game and after the point after attempt went wide the scoreboard read, 22-18 Panthers.

After recovering the on-side kick the Panthers offense loss three-yards on their first play giving the Cougars just a little hope but, with 1:18 left in the game the Panthers put this one out of reach when Chaz Jackson scored on a fifty-four-yard run. The point after was no good leaving the Panthers on top 28-18.

The Hit of the game came on the ensuing kickoff when Justin Walker planted the Cougar returned deep into the carpet.

Congrats to Pikeville on the big opening night win and to the Cougars you guys will win a lot of games this season.

You think harmon is better than Dustin May who not only dominated offensively, but also defensively at his LB position? I could definately see lisitng Harmon as the best HB, but in terms of an all-arpund player it's hard to measure him up with may who is not only an All-State calibur FB, but an All-State calibur LB, and also a pretty good punter as well.