Smoking on TV. How the times have changed

All Tell

The thread about Tom Snyder brought this to mind.

As rare as it is today to see someone smoking on the air it's amazing that not to many years ago smoking was the norm, especially of panel game shows and news programs.

Edward R. Murrow was noted for always having a cigarette even though his See It Now show was one of the first to report the link between smoking and cancer.

Many game shows were sponsored by tobacco companies. One I remember from seeing on the Game Show Network was I've Got a Secret with Garry Moore. It was sponsores by Winston and as guests came out they were offered cigarettes and one of the prizes was a carton of smokes.

I can't remember the brand but there was a variety show sponsored by a tobacco company and it has these cute dancing cigarette packs.

Even Lucy and Ricky smoked.

What a difference a few years makes.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Have you seen the movie Thank You for smoking? Kind of interesting views on the subject. Very funny movie. The movie takes place about 15-20 years ago and the lobbyist for the tobacco companies tries to pursuade Hollywood to let the heroes smoke in movies as a way to circumvent the anti smoking ads. A movie well worth seeing...

Have you seen the movie Thank You for smoking? Kind of interesting views on the subject. Very funny movie. The movie takes place about 15-20 years ago and the lobbyist for the tobacco companies tries to pursuade Hollywood to let the heroes smoke in movies as a way to circumvent the anti smoking ads. A movie well worth seeing...

Watched it a couple nights ago...Very funny!

I'm old enough to remember when you could smoke on planes. It makes sense to ban that, but it has gotten completely out of hand.

Nowadays there is an activist group for everything, I hate how everyone has to walk on pins and needles regarding what you can/cannot say or do.

Nowadays there is an activist group for everything, I hate how everyone has to walk on pins and needles regarding what you can/cannot say or do.

:thumb: I agree and for the most part we have the ACLU to thank for a lot of it. :irked: