Smoking on TV. How the times have changed

All Tell

I'm old enough to remember when you could smoke on planes. It makes sense to ban that, but it has gotten completely out of hand.

Nowadays there is an activist group for everything, I hate how everyone has to walk on pins and needles regarding what you can/cannot say or do.

Yea me too.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There's no "rule" against it as far as I know. What has happened is that smoking has become so stigmatized that it is now unacceptable to show people smoking. I recently watched a celebrity poker show and was very surprised to see Laura Preppon from That '70s Show smoking while she played, not so much that she smoked rather that she did it in view.

Even Andy Griffith Smoked :D .

Archie Bunker did as well.

Times have changed.

I remember during an Andy marathon they had facts and questions and I believe they said there were 5 or 6 episodes where Andy smoked.

Off the top of my head he smoked when he delivered the baby, will try to think of others.

Why are we so against smoking, yes it is bad for you, But one cannot run over someone while driving smoking. Why are we not against drinking, it is bad for you , people get violent while drinking, people drive and hurt others while driving. What is the difference?

I remember during an Andy marathon they had facts and questions and I believe they said there were 5 or 6 episodes where Andy smoked.

Off the top of my head he smoked when he delivered the baby, will try to think of others.

I think he was somking as he contemplated Opie's "imaginary" friend Mr. McBeevy.

I think he smoked a cigarette as he waited for a former con he had jailed to come visit him.

Most of the celebrities on the Match Game smoked during the show.

I also remember managers and players smoking in the dugout during MLB baseball games.[/QUOTE]

I remember that as well, Earl Weaver comes tro mind.

I belive that it was Earl that called one pitcher "full pack", meaning that everytime he pitched that Earl would go through a full pack of ciggs. :lol:

Does anyone remember who the pitcher was?

Most of the celebrities on the Match Game smoked during the show.

I also remember managers and players smoking in the dugout during MLB baseball games.[/QUOTE]

I remember that as well, Earl Weaver comes tro mind.

I belive that it was Earl that called one pitcher "full pack", meaning that everytime he pitched that Earl would go through a full pack of ciggs. :lol:

Does anyone remember who the pitcher was?

I believe it was Don Stanhouse, the closer on the 1979 AL Champs.

When MLB passed a smoking ban in major league dugouts Weaver would "sneak" back into the tunnel to the club house and light up.

Who were some people that surprised you when you found out they were smokers?

Dean Smith was one for me.

Who were some people that surprised you when you found out they were smokers?

I saw a picture online that had Barrack Obama smoking a cigarette. I'm not sure if it was credible or not. I can see someone photoshopping it to skew his image. Anybody know if he really is a smoker?