Best Players?School History

im not taking anything away from Phil Cox or Nick Sanford they were great, and your right i never watched them in person but i have watched films. Blake was not the greatest Phil Cox was the greatest but i believe that Blake should at least be mentioned, he was un-stopable on the offensive end, or at least he was untill he met Aaron Cash in the region his senior yr :thumb: :jump:

I saw all three in action, Cox hands down was the best, Sanford could have been in the NBA if he had went about things differently, (I watched him play on the all-star team that included Rex Chapman and Felton Spencer among others way back, he, IMO, was the best player on the Freedom Hall floor that night) Hubbs would be a distance third to these two.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best player in Lone Jack history:

Bobby Slusher- Parade All American (1957. Slusher was the only player om the southeast USA selected to the 15 member Parade All American team in 57), UK Scholarship, kicked off team by Adolf Rupp for stealing, transferred to U Cincinnati. got in trouble with alcahol and gambling, moved to Las Vegas. The last I heard he was living at the head of Gabes Branch in Harlan Co. (would make a good news story HDE). Slusher was easily an NBA star quality player but with no disapline. In high school Slusher would regularly score over 50 points in a game. His high game was 83 points. His senor year Lone Jack went 23-1 with their only loss at Lafayette. Slusher could very possibly be the best high school player ever in the 13th region. Other 13th region notables that were seniors in 57 were Dickie Parsons (Harlan, UK) and Carvin Bird (Corbin, UK).

Runer-up. Rodney Woods.

I played against Bob Slusher when he played at Cumberland College. I never though he was quite good enough to play NBA. U.K recruited him but never kept him very long. I think he could have been a lot better than he actually was.

And by the time he got to Cumberland his partying problems had caught up with him. I think he still had several games when he scored over 30 points for the Indians. The reason Rupp didn't keep Slusher around had nothing to do with basketball, it was conduct off the court.

I agree he was a very good KIAC player but Georgetown was the king of the conference at that time with the of the best shooting guards in the country with Dick Vories and Cecil Tuttle plus a couple of big boys. Cumberland and Georgetown always had boys that were in division one schools and didn't like it or couldn't cut it and transfered to those schools. Most KIAC had some of those but those two had more than the rest. Slusher is just one example.

Professor, The kid from Perry Central was Ben Bowling. I remember Dwayne Deaton, but his teammates Kenneth Neace & Jody Noble, I thought could be the the best to play at Buckhorn JMO. What do you think? Dilce Combs best player IMO was Cavanaugh Trent, but Heston was a great player, both a very tough picks! Moose Moore from Owsley Co., was he the best to play there? What was his first name? I can't remember!

and Ferguson may not be the best college prospect on his team.

Ferguson can flat score right now though.

Everyone want's to relate Ferguson just to scoring. Here's his stats from last season on a winning team! 23.8ppg, 6.6reb, 2.9asst, 1.8steal's. He play's a complete game as doe's his teammate's!!!!!!

Everyone want's to relate Ferguson just to scoring. Here's his stats from last season on a winning team! 23.8ppg, 6.6reb, 2.9asst, 1.8steal's. He play's a complete game as doe's his teammate's!!!!!!

No doubt that Ferguson is the best player and best college prospect on the Lions team. Not taking anything away from any other player but Ferguson is the most complete player on that team. The stats stated above show his all around play.

I saw them both play many, many times and there is no "hands down" difference between Cox and Sanford. Both were tremendous players.

That post came out wrong, I meant to say Cox and Sanford were both hands down better than Hubbs (not to knock Hubbs but they were awsome players) any idea where Cox and Sanford are today?

Best player in Lone Jack history:

Bobby Slusher- Parade All American (1957. Slusher was the only player om the southeast USA selected to the 15 member Parade All American team in 57), UK Scholarship, kicked off team by Adolf Rupp for stealing, transferred to U Cincinnati. got in trouble with alcahol and gambling, moved to Las Vegas. The last I heard he was living at the head of Gabes Branch in Harlan Co. (would make a good news story HDE). Slusher was easily an NBA star quality player but with no disapline. In high school Slusher would regularly score over 50 points in a game. His high game was 83 points. His senor year Lone Jack went 23-1 with their only loss at Lafayette. Slusher could very possibly be the best high school player ever in the 13th region. Other 13th region notables that were seniors in 57 were Dickie Parsons (Harlan, UK) and Carvin Bird (Corbin, UK).

Runer-up. Rodney Woods.

Calvin Bird was mainly a football player at Corbin I guess he played basketball as well, but he was a star at UK in football and also played in the NFL, his brother Jerry was a star basketball player at Corbin, played at UK his number hangs from the rafters he also played in the NBA. IMO several of the old timers at Corbin would be ranked above Slusher.