Best Players?School History

Cumberland was loaded with talent during the early 70s. Most of those teams were very balanced. Besides Larry Cockrel (73), some others that were stars for the Redskins during those years were:

Dennis Griffey (70)

Ronnie Alexander (71)

Grady Wilson (71)

Leon Brown (72)

Roger Caudill (73)

The best Cumberland team of that era may have been the 1970 team. I remember watching the 1970 team beat the Rodney Woods lead Lone Jack team by 30 in the regional semi-finals at Union College. Harlan was the regional favorite that year. The Dragons were lead by Maurice Bird (or Byrd) and had something like a 19 game winning streak but were upset by Evarts in the district tournament at Cawood.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When did Ron Duncan play at Raceland?

Duncan played in the 60's and I believe went on to play college ball at Auburn. Duncan was on teams with Hollie Heaberlin (who went on to play at Austin Peay), Earl Smith, D. Chinn and that group. Tom Hamilton was their coach - imo the best coach in Raceland basketball history. Chinn was another one that was very good but I had failed to mention, he had transferred to Raceland from Wurtland h.s. and only played one year (I believe) with the Ramblers.

Thanks oldrambler I can always count on you and cville to come through for me. I did not know Hollie played at AP, Coach Pack even though he is a Lewis Co. alum played for Virginia Commonwealth

Coach Pack told me one time that the first college basketball game that he ever saw - that he played in it! :lol: Are you sure that Odell played at Lewis? I thought that he had grew up around Inez, which is now Lawrence Co. / Sheldon Clark country I believe.

14th Region:

Powell County- Nelson White

Lee County-Larry Stamper (UK)

Wolfe County-Steve Johnson (Cornell)

Hazel Green Academy- Hollon (Alabama, can't remember 1st name)

Breathitt County-Larry Noble (Austin Peay)

Hazard-Johnny Cox UK) or Jim Rose (WKU)

Knott Central-Herbie Stamper (Morehead St.)

Carr Creek-Glen Combs, played in the NBA

MC Napier-Glenn Napier (Morehead St.)

Perry Central- Bowling (can't remember 1st name)

Buckhorn-Dwayne Deaton

Leslie County-Tim Couch

Dilce Combs-Heston Beverly

Hindman- also Herbie Stamper...schools consolidated his jr. year.

Jackson City- don't know

Owsley County- I'll stay away from that one:D

Letcher High-don't know

Letcher Central-Too new to say.

Whitesburg- The guard from their state team a few years ago.

Evarts- Hershal Hicks

Harlan- Wallace Jones

Cawood- Phil Cox/Nick Sanford

Cumberland- Garret Gregory

Corbin-Frank Selvey

Middlesboro-Lawrance Buell

Oneida Baptist- Ben Franklin

Clay County-Ritchy Farmer

Lynch- Forest Pearson

So Blake Hubbs is not even mentioned? Even though he did not end up at a college he does hold the scoring title at cawood.

So Blake Hubbs is not even mentioned? Even though he did not end up at a college he does hold the scoring title at cawood.

You must have not been around when Phil Cox or Nick Sanford were playing. Hubbs was a good mountain high school player. Cox and Sanford were great players for anywhere. A complete different level.

Fairview: Jeff Hall and Don Rigsby

Russell: Chris Jones, Ryan Watkins and Mark Watkins

Ashland: Larry Conley and Chuck Cantrell

Boyd County: Kent Sisler and Phil Pratt

Holy Family: Art McCullough and David Layne

Elliot County: Rocky Adkins

Rowan County: Kelly Wells

You must have not been around when Phil Cox or Nick Sanford were playing. Hubbs was a good mountain high school player. Cox and Sanford were great players for anywhere. A complete different level.

im not taking anything away from Phil Cox or Nick Sanford they were great, and your right i never watched them in person but i have watched films. Blake was not the greatest Phil Cox was the greatest but i believe that Blake should at least be mentioned, he was un-stopable on the offensive end, or at least he was untill he met Aaron Cash in the region his senior yr :thumb: :jump: