Best Players?School History

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best player in Lone Jack history:

Bobby Slusher- Parade All American (1957. Slusher was the only player om the southeast USA selected to the 15 member Parade All American team in 57), UK Scholarship, kicked off team by Adolf Rupp for stealing, transferred to U Cincinnati. got in trouble with alcahol and gambling, moved to Las Vegas. The last I heard he was living at the head of Gabes Branch in Harlan Co. (would make a good news story HDE). Slusher was easily an NBA star quality player but with no disapline. In high school Slusher would regularly score over 50 points in a game. His high game was 83 points. His senor year Lone Jack went 23-1 with their only loss at Lafayette. Slusher could very possibly be the best high school player ever in the 13th region. Other 13th region notables that were seniors in 57 were Dickie Parsons (Harlan, UK) and Carvin Bird (Corbin, UK).

Runer-up. Rodney Woods.

Lone Jack had great basketball tradition. To hear the older guys talk about Bobby Slusher, they said he was amazing. Lone Jack also had a team with Larry Pursiful who played at UK and a guard named Paul Slusher (who is Bell County's biggest fan). As juniors they beat Lafayette who was considered the best program back then. Pursiful for whatever reason transferred to Bell County his senior year.

No doubt that Ferguson is the best player and best college prospect on the Lions team. Not taking anything away from any other player but Ferguson is the most complete player on that team. The stats stated above show his all around play.

Nobody doubts his stats or being a complete player and I am big fan of his and the whole team, but I think they were referring to his lack of size and not knowing which position he will play at the next level.

Everyone want's to relate Ferguson just to scoring. Here's his stats from last season on a winning team! 23.8ppg, 6.6reb, 2.9asst, 1.8steal's. He play's a complete game as doe's his teammate's!!!!!!

I think Ferguson could be the best player in the region.

As Big Slick stated, his college position will be the big question at the next level.

Whereas the Faulkners or a Vanhoose from this past year have true positions at the next level.

Where do you see him playing (position -wise) at the next level?

I saw all three in action, Cox hands down was the best, Sanford could have been in the NBA if he had went about things differently, (I watched him play on the all-star team that included Rex Chapman and Felton Spencer among others way back, he, IMO, was the best player on the Freedom Hall floor that night) Hubbs would be a distance third to these two.

Could Cox have ended up in the NBA? if you watched them all three play then i will agree with you i only had pleasure to watch Hubbs in person and watch a few game films of the other 2, but for them to be this much better than Hubbs they must have been un-believable because Hubbs was a monster of the offensive side of the ball.

I think Ferguson could be the best player in the region.

As Big Slick stated, his college position will be the big question at the next level.

Whereas the Faulkners or a Vanhoose from this past year have true positions at the next level.

Where do you see him playing (position -wise) at the next level?

When I posted Jonathans stats I wasn't implying that he's the best player on his team or the best college prospect. He has teammates with equally impressive stat's. For the last couple of year's ive sit back and watched people talk about how he's too small, just a scorer, cant play at next level and all that garbage. He doesn't play the one or two spot for his team(Elliott) because they already have two excellant players filling those role's! It's not because he can't. He play's guard for his aau team and has played shooting guard at all the prospect camps he's been too!!!!! He is 6'2" and in the last 31 game's this summer has shot 81-165 from the arc!! He also penetrates and scores inside very consistently against 6-6 to 6-10 top competition in several states in this great nation. Personally IMO I think someone is looking for a player who can shoot the three and also get to the rim! I don't know what position they see him playing but he's getting some attention from several mid-major D1's(lot's of it from one of them). He is also getting some heavy look's from an A10 school!! Don't get me wrong I'm not bragging i'm just tired of everyone saying he cant play at the next level!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There are possibly 3 or 4 that will play on at Elliott Co, and I will be cheering for all of them and wish them all the best.

Whatever happened to Sanford?

Sanford went to Cumberland College and lasted about a week. He then went to LMU where he played for Phil Cox and scored over 30 points a game night in and night out for 4 years. From there I don't have a clue.

I remember Cox's first game at Vandy. He came off the bench and scored 30 points in an upset win over Duke. He left Vandy as their all time leading scorer.

Could Cox have ended up in the NBA? if you watched them all three play then i will agree with you i only had pleasure to watch Hubbs in person and watch a few game films of the other 2, but for them to be this much better than Hubbs they must have been un-believable because Hubbs was a monster of the offensive side of the ball.

Cox did not have the physical tools to play in the NBA. He was a fantastic high school and college player. Hubbs was good but Cox and Sanford were light years ahead of Hubbs.

When I posted Jonathans stats I wasn't implying that he's the best player on his team or the best college prospect. He has teammates with equally impressive stat's. For the last couple of year's ive sit back and watched people talk about how he's too small, just a scorer, cant play at next level and all that garbage. He doesn't play the one or two spot for his team(Elliott) because they already have two excellant players filling those role's! It's not because he can't. He play's guard for his aau team and has played shooting guard at all the prospect camps he's been too!!!!! He is 6'2" and in the last 31 game's this summer has shot 81-165 from the arc!! He also penetrates and scores inside very consistently against 6-6 to 6-10 top competition in several states in this great nation. Personally IMO I think someone is looking for a player who can shoot the three and also get to the rim! I don't know what position they see him playing but he's getting some attention from several mid-major D1's(lot's of it from one of them). He is also getting some heavy look's from an A10 school!! Don't get me wrong I'm not bragging i'm just tired of everyone saying he cant play at the next level!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There are possibly 3 or 4 that will play on at Elliott Co, and I will be cheering for all of them and wish them all the best.

I wasn't saying he couldn't play at the next level, I was wondering about what position because I have only seen him play w/ the current Elliott Co. team and his position is kind of undefined with that team. No doubt he score from any position and best of luck to all Elliott players at the next level whatever level that may be.

Evarts- Hershal Hicks

Harlan- Wallace Jones

Cawood- Phil Cox/Nick Sanford

Cumberland- Garret Gregory

Corbin-Frank Selvey

Middlesboro-Lawrance Buell

Oneida Baptist- Ben Franklin

Clay County-Ritchy Farmer

Lynch- Forest Pearson

I would throw Charles Thomas in the Harlan category if you are going on High School only.

Sanford was a four-time NAIA All-American. I wonder if anyone has ever done that.

I don't know where he is now.

I remember Sanford and Farmer going at it in the regional tournament at Middlesboro and former Tennesse coach Don Devoe(sp) set right below me. He was there to see Sanford play. Boy could that kid jump and play some ball.