What are the TRUE differences Catholicism / Protestantism

NEXT

I want to throw this question out and see what the response is. For Catholics who are offended by evangelical denominations: Does the fact that you do not actively attempt to convert me to Catholism mean that you agree that my way is misguided but adequate, or does it mean that you don't care enough about me to make the effort? Being tolerant of my views will not be an acceptable answer. Do you see where I'm going with this?

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I want to throw this question out and see what the response is. For Catholics who are offended by evangelical denominations: Does the fact that you do not actively attempt to convert me to Catholism mean that you agree that my way is misguided but adequate, or does it mean that you don't care enough about me to make the effort? Being tolerant of my views will not be an acceptable answer. Do you see where I'm going with this?

Not entirely, please expand.

^I'm going to have to plead ignorance, rural SE Ky is not exactly a Catholic stronghold. I must admit much of what I know of Catholism comes from TV and a few newspaper articles. I have no problem with artwork (there are few Baptist churches that don't have a painting of Jesus standing at the door knocking), but the images we (non-Catholics) see are of people kneeling before statues to pray. Am I being misled?

I don't know enough about the subject (differences between Protestant and Catholic religions/teachings) to add anything useful here; but in reference to the bolded...

My daughter had a project in AP U.S. History class - interview someone on tape who has lived through significant events in history. She interviewed two members of a Catholic, Italian family who grew up in a coal camp in Harlan County. Much of the interview focused on the rigors of growing up, going to war, etc. But the most interesting part was when the two gentlemen talked about practicing their faith. They had to travel to Lynch, KY or Jellico, TN for formal services. The deceased members of the family are all buried in Jellico. The family was treated shabbily until the oldest brothers became sports stars in high school - it was then that folks became much more tolerant of both their ethnicity and their religious preferences.

Not entirely, please expand.

A great deal of the frustration that Catholics seem to have with Prostestants lies in what is construed as intolerance. I'm hoping to help others understand the underlying intentions.

I don't know enough about the subject (differences between Protestant and Catholic religions/teachings) to add anything useful here; but in reference to the bolded...

My daughter had a project in AP U.S. History class - interview someone on tape who has lived through significant events in history. She interviewed two members of a Catholic, Italian family who grew up in a coal camp in Harlan County. Much of the interview focused on the rigors of growing up, going to war, etc. But the most interesting part was when the two gentlemen talked about practicing their faith. They had to travel to Lynch, KY or Jellico, TN for formal services. The deceased members of the family are all buried in Jellico. The family was treated shabbily until the oldest brothers became sports stars in high school - it was then that folks became much more tolerant of both their ethnicity and their religious preferences.

My mother said to me that after Kennedy was assassinated she had a Baptist neighbor who happy about it on account of the fact that he was Catholic. Remember that this was in one of the areas of the state with the largest concentrations of Catholics too.

The family was treated shabbily until the oldest brothers became sports stars in high school - it was then that folks became much more tolerant of both their ethnicity and their religious preferences.

I bet it was basketball. Now that is a SE Ky religion!

My mother said to me that after Kennedy was assassinated she had a Baptist neighbor who happy about it on account of the fact that he was Catholic. Remember that this was in one of the areas of the state with the largest concentrations of Catholics too.

Does Westboro represent Baptists? Do the men who abused young boys represent Catholics? No, and this woman does not represent Baptists. I am old enough to remember walking home from school in 1963 and wondering what was going on as I passed groups of neighbor women huddled together and crying and comforting one another. These women were Protestants, mostly Baptists.

Does Westboro represent Baptists? Do the men who abused young boys represent Catholics? No, and this woman does not represent Baptists. I am old enough to remember walking home from school in 1963 and wondering what was going on as I passed groups of neighbor women huddled together and crying and comforting one another. These women were Protestants, mostly Baptists.

I wasn't trying to use that to slam them. Sorry I realize how it came off. I was referencing intolerance towards Catholics in general in this country at one time or another. This woman was a terrible religious bigot, of that I have no doubt. I was merely saying that as recently as the 1960's in the most Catholic town in Kentucky this sort of thing happened.

I was not trying to paint Baptists in that light.

I was not trying to paint Baptists in that light.

I realize that and I'm sorry my rebuttal made it seem that way. It sure is easy to get on the defensive if we're not careful. Overall, a very enlightening discussion.

That didn't really address my post. Is it correct that the Catholic Church did not encourage, or even discouraged, reading the Bible in the past? And if so, what brought on the change?

Sorry.

I am not aware of any point in the history of the Catholic church where we were discouraged in reading The Bible. I've been Catholic since 1966, which is obviously just post-Vatican II. As Vatican II actually "modernized" some things in the Church, I can't imagine that it were any different pre-Vatican II. I'll do more research, but in my searches on the Vatican website and others, nothing indicates a lack of encouragement by the Church to it's members in reading The Bible.

I am not offended by evangelical denominations. I am offended when I'm told that because of my beliefs (which are most often misinterpreted by the person who is evangelizing) I am not "saved".

I consider myself fortunate in that I've had the opportunity to study many different Christian denominations, as well as non-Christian religions. I feel I've made, and continue to make, every effort to understand the religious beliefs of others, and to respect them.

I become offended when the same is not offered to me, or other members of my faith.

While it is true that the church discouraged Bible reading during the Reformation and Counter-Reformation, since Vatican II (or even earlier, since Pius XII), the church has encouraged Scripture reading by the laity.

I am not offended by evangelical denominations. I am offended when I'm told that because of my beliefs (which are most often misinterpreted by the person who is evangelizing) I am not "saved".

I consider myself fortunate in that I've had the opportunity to study many different Christian denominations, as well as non-Christian religions. I feel I've made, and continue to make, every effort to understand the religious beliefs of others, and to respect them.

I become offended when the same is not offered to me, or other members of my faith.

I understand and appreciate what you're saying about respecting and appreciating other religions, but it doesn't answer my question. Again, does the fact that you make no effort to convert me to Catholism mean that you think my belief is adequate or that you don't really care what happens to me in the afterlife? If I refuse your overtures you may respect my opinions and go about your way, but do you not think that unless one of the above statements were true, you should at least make a token effort? I sure hope you see the point I'm attempting to make.

I have to leave now so don't think I'm ignoring you if I don't respond right away.