What are the TRUE differences Catholicism / Protestantism

NEXT

Pope...What scripture is he found?

Mother Mary...very important role..In the birth of Christ.

Be Baptized after knowing why you should be by immersion.

Catholics are encouraged not to read the Bible. Thats what I've been told.

(I hope that would change)

At the early age a child is taught confession...Penitent We confess to Jesus Christ. Not to a Man

Nowhere in the Bible does it mentionof "Limbo or Purgatory". Purgatory is man's think so's.

Prayer to the Saints...not in the Bible they are dead men/ Pray to Jesus Christ.

Idols...Again Man Made. What does scripture say about Idols?

Rosary..Tradition is man made..Jesus.."When you pray, use not vain repetitions as the heathen do".

Mass..man made started in the 1200's. John said in 19:30

"Christ said it is finished". There is only one sacrifice. The jews sacrificed regularly for their Sins, Jesus died once on the cross for our sins. No longer is a "daily sacrifice " needed.

Hope this helps.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

At the early age a child is taught confession...Penitent We confess to Jesus Christ. Not to a Man

Nowhere in the Bible does it mentionof "Limbo or Purgatory". Purgatory is man's think so's.

Prayer to the Saints...not in the Bible they are dead men/ Pray to Jesus Christ.

Rosary..Tradition is man made..Jesus.."When you pray, use not vain repetitions as the heathen do".

"Christ said it is finished". There is only one sacrifice. The jews sacrificed regularly for their Sins, Jesus died once on the cross for our sins. No longer is a "daily sacrifice " needed.

Hope this helps.

I'm going to have to tackle this one bit by bit. :lol:

AL, not that I don't respect your beliefs, but your post is pretty indicative of a lot of misunderstandings of the Catholic faith.

It occurs at the consecration of the bread and the wine. While it may still LOOK like bread and wine, taste like bread and wine, etc, it has actually become the flesh and blood of Christ.

We Episcopalians believe that an actual change does not take place but that the bread and wine become spiritual food at the blessing. It's not just bread and wine and the sum of it's molecular content.

There's an important distinction, by the way, between the two- Catholics believe that while your senses and science might be fooled, that's really flesh and blood on the altar... but also that the essential nature of the bread and wine is present as well. It's a complicated concept. The fact that it's still bread and wine according to the laws of this world is just as important to the concept as the fact that the flesh and the blood are there beyond what we can know.

It occurs at the consecration of the bread and the wine. While it may still LOOK like bread and wine, taste like bread and wine, etc, it has actually become the flesh and blood of Christ.

We Episcopalians believe that an actual change does not take place but that the bread and wine become spiritual food at the blessing. It's not just bread and wine and the sum of it's molecular content.

There's an important distinction, by the way, between the two- Catholics believe that while your senses and science might be fooled, that's really flesh and blood on the altar.

An example of one of the Mysteries of Faith, my friend. :D

Hope this helps.

Let me sum it up for you: My denomination GOOD and RIGHT - Yours BAD and Wrong. :rolleyes:

Same self-serving garbage we've been hearing for hundreds of years. :irked:

You may believe differently; but our beliefs are just as valid as your own. Using these techniques of twisted logic and selective quotation, we could pick apart your beliefs just as easily.

Sorry, but this hard-core protestant rhetoric gets really old! :irked:

Oh, I didn't! I was just letting you know there's a name for it! :D
Oh, I know the name for it... my priest uses it every Sunday. "Therefore we proclaim the mystery of faith- Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again."

One of the biggest differences, from my knowledge, which may be flawed, is both sides view of the Bible. Protestants, in general, believe the Bible is the sole and final authority, while the Catholic Church places tradition (for lack of a better word) alongside the Scripture. By tradition, I mean the church fathers teachings that have been added, revised, etc. through the ages are close to the Bible (maybe equal, maybe a little difference, I don't know) in importance. It sounds similar to Judaism to me, in the sense that they have the Torah (the first five books of the Old Testament) and then the Talmud, which is writings from Rabbi's expounding on and discussing the law of Moses.

There are, of course, other differences to my knowledge. There are a few that I strongly disagree with, and many that while I disagree with, find them of far less significance. I don't want to get in to it, because I'm aware that I could be misunderstanding the Catholic stance on some issues, and I don't want it to come off as "hard-core protestant rhetoric" as Birdsfan put it. If what I did say sounds that way, I do apologize in advance. I'm hoping I can get a better understanding of Catholic beliefs through this thread.

Ok, first bite of the elepahnt:

"And he called to him his twelve disciples and gave them authority over unclean spirits, to cast them out, and to heal every disease and every infirmity. The names of the twelve apostles are these: first, Simon, who is called Peter . . ." (Matt. 10:1-2).

"And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my Church, and the powers of death shall not prevail against it. I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven’" (Matt. 16:18-19).

"‘Simon, Simon, behold Satan has demanded to have you, that he might sift you like wheat, but I have prayed for you that your faith may not fail; and when you have turned again, strengthen your brethren’" (Luke 22:31-32).

"He brought him to Jesus. Jesus looked at him, and said, ‘So you are Simon the son of John? You shall be called Cephas’ (which means Peter)" (John 1:42).

"When they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, ‘Simon, son of John, do you love me more than these?’ He said to him, ‘Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.’ He said to him, ‘Feed my lambs.’ A second time he said to him, ‘Simon, son of John, do you love me?’ He said to him, ‘Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.’ He said to him, ‘Tend my sheep.’ He said to him the third time, ‘Simon, son of John, do you love me?’ Peter was grieved because he said to him the third time, ‘Do you love me?’ And he said to him, ‘Lord, you know that I love you.’ Jesus said to him, ‘Feed my sheep’" (John 21:15-17)

"And when Elizabeth heard the greeting of Mary, the babe leaped in her womb, and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit and she exclaimed with a loud cry, ‘Blessed are you among women and blessed is the fruit of your womb! And why is this granted me, that the mother of my Lord should come to me?’" (Luke 1:41-43).

"And Mary said, ‘My soul magnifies the Lord, and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior, for he has regarded the low estate of his handmaiden. For behold, henceforth all generations will call me blessed; for he who is mighty has done great things for me, and holy is his name’" (Luke 1:46-49).

"If one member suffers, all suffer together; if one member is honored, all rejoice together" (1 Cor. 12:26).

Oh, I know the name for it... my priest uses it every Sunday. "Therefore we proclaim the mystery of faith- Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again."

And you SING that little melody, favorite part of the Epicopal service.

When I feel like the Baptist service has lost some structure, I take my boys over to the Catholic or Episcopal service for a little dose of 'High Church.':cool:

Does the Bible ever say that infants or young children can be baptized? The indications are clear. In the New Testament we read that Lydia was converted by Paul’s preaching and that "She was baptized, with her household" (Acts 16:15). The Philippian jailer whom Paul and Silas had converted to the faith was baptized that night along with his household. We are told that "the same hour of the night . . . he was baptized, with all his family" (Acts 16:33). And in his greetings to the Corinthians, Paul recalled that, "I did baptize also the household of Stephanas" (1 Cor. 1:16).

In all these cases, whole households or families were baptized. This means more than just the spouse; the children too were included. If the text of Acts referred simply to the Philippian jailer and his wife, then we would read that "he and his wife were baptized," but we do not. Thus his children must have been baptized as well. The same applies to the other cases of household baptism in Scripture.

Granted, we do not know the exact age of the children; they may have been past the age of reason, rather than infants. Then again, they could have been babes in arms. More probably, there were both younger and older children. Certainly there were children younger than the age of reason in some of the households that were baptized, especially if one considers that society at this time had no reliable form of birth control. Furthermore, given the New Testament pattern of household baptism, if there were to be exceptions to this rule (such as infants), they would be explicit.

Does the Bible ever say that infants or young children can be baptized? The indications are clear. In the New Testament we read that Lydia was converted by Paul’s preaching and that "She was baptized, with her household" (Acts 16:15). The Philippian jailer whom Paul and Silas had converted to the faith was baptized that night along with his household. We are told that "the same hour of the night . . . he was baptized, with all his family" (Acts 16:33). And in his greetings to the Corinthians, Paul recalled that, "I did baptize also the household of Stephanas" (1 Cor. 1:16).

In all these cases, whole households or families were baptized. This means more than just the spouse; the children too were included. If the text of Acts referred simply to the Philippian jailer and his wife, then we would read that "he and his wife were baptized," but we do not. Thus his children must have been baptized as well. The same applies to the other cases of household baptism in Scripture.

Granted, we do not know the exact age of the children; they may have been past the age of reason, rather than infants. Then again, they could have been babes in arms. More probably, there were both younger and older children. Certainly there were children younger than the age of reason in some of the households that were baptized, especially if one considers that society at this time had no reliable form of birth control. Furthermore, given the New Testament pattern of household baptism, if there were to be exceptions to this rule (such as infants), they would be explicit.

From what text are you quoting here, RM?

Catholics are NOT encouraged to not read the Bible. Catholics are encouraged to read the Bible

"I commend you because you remember me in everything and maintain the traditions even as I have delivered them to you" (1 Cor. 11:2).

"Follow the pattern of the sound words which you have heard from me, in the faith and love which are in Christ Jesus; guard the truth that has been entrusted to you by the Holy Spirit who dwells within us" (2 Tim. 1:13-14).

"So then, brethren, stand firm and hold to the traditions which you were taught by us, either by word of mouth or by letter." (2 Thess. 2:15)

"You, then, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus, and what you have heard from me before many witnesses entrust to faithful men who will be able to teach others also" (2 Tim. 2:1-2).

"First of all you must understand this, that no prophecy of Scripture is a matter of one’s own interpretation, because no prophecy ever came by the impulse of man, but men moved by the Holy Spirit spoke from God" (2 Peter 1:20-21).

"‘Though I have much to write to you, I would rather not use paper and ink, but I hope to come to see you and talk with you face to face, so that our joy may be complete" (2 John 12).