The NCAA abuses its authority ... again ...

Jim Schue

Courier-Journal reporter ejected from UofL game

What a load of crap. As the person wrote in the feedback line, all the NCAA cares about is the cash.

Ejected and Dejected: Bennett's final blog entries

Fleischaker is an outstanding First Amendment attorney, and I hope he nails the NCAA to the wall on this one. Other newspapers and media outlets would do well to join in on paying the legal fees.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting. I like the angle someone mentioned in the responses to the article likening it to making a phone call reporting what happened.

On the other hand, including images might be a problem.

How would that be any different from what the Associated Press does? At major events, they have people running flash cards from the floor photographers back to the media room computers so they can get photos posted on the AP site and available for newspapers ASAP.

It seems as if the NCAA doesn't really know what a BLOG is...If he had a camera setup and was broadcasting that was illegal, but writing about something ESPN News posted 2 minutes earlier is hardly against the rules.

THE NCAA is a sham and simply a CASH COW!

How many people have to have access to the info before its a problem? If I called a friend on a cell phone and gave him play-by-play or simply a summary , is that a violation? If I did a conference call with 3 friends ? 4?

Is BGP in violation when we post plays and comments on a game while its going on (such as the Reds)?

We are seeing the reporters point of view and I still dont see a problem with it. If this had been a paying customer to view I might take a different look, but he is there free on press credentials. However the participants view fit to have this game broadcast is up to them, but any infringement on this decision by anyone admitted free on press credentials should be totally under their control. I see this as more of an obvious infringement than napster allowing music transfers for free avoiding copyright issues. It is not the same as bgpers posting, because we were not allowed to attend the event free.

My question is after he was informed that blogging was not allowed why did Mr. Bennett continue to do so?

Do reporters feel that they are above rules?

Apparantly Mr. Bennett's "right" to blog at the game isn't as cut and dry as the CJ tried to imply on Monday:

NCAA criticized for ejecting reporter....

To be completely honest I have very little sympathy here for the reporter. He gets into events for free, he gets fed, he gets to sit in great seats out of the elements. He should abide by rules set forth by the institution.

How many people have to have access to the info before its a problem? If I called a friend on a cell phone and gave him play-by-play or simply a summary , is that a violation? If I did a conference call with 3 friends ? 4?

Is BGP in violation when we post plays and comments on a game while its going on (such as the Reds)?

Hell, if that's the case I committed an NCAA violation...

To be completely honest I have very little sympathy here for the reporter. He gets into events for free, he gets fed, he gets to sit in great seats out of the elements. He should abide by rules set forth by the institution.
So what? It's his job. Yes, it's a great one at that (watching ballgames and writing about them for a living), but he's probably there well before it starts and most reporters are there well after the game is over, writing about it while others are out celebrating a win.

Sounds like some jealousy ...

This is the age of the Internet and instant communication ... what is wrong with a newspaper blogging details of a game while it's going on?

It wasn't as if the Courier-Journal was broadcasting live pictures and providing instant commentary and analysis a la ESPN.

So what? It's his job. Yes, it's a great one at that (watching ballgames and writing about them for a living), but he's probably there well before it starts and most reporters are there well after the game is over, writing about it while others are out celebrating a win.

Sounds like some jealousy ...

Nope, my job gets me into games for free as well.:D And usually I'm there well before the game starts and well after it's over. There is no jealosy at all. I just want to know why reporters think they are above the rules.