The NCAA abuses its authority ... again ...

Jim Schue

But nowhere is that difference brought up in the claim.

I have said that I think the enforcement of this is somewhat Draconian BUT if the NCAA or any sports entity for that matter can control who uses images of it's events AFTER they occur (because by the CJ logic once they occur they are fact and facts can't be copywritten) why can't they control who describes those same events over the internet after the fact?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just telling the score is different then describing the action. Or maybe they shouldn't, I don't know.

Again, I don't know that I agree with the NCAA's stance here BUT I do know that in this day and age it's getting harder and harder to protect ones intelectual property. I guess a line has to be drawn somewhere and this is where the NCAA chose to draw theirs. I can see both sides using the arguments that the CJ has put forth to their advantage. Besides anything that ticks off the CJ can't be all bad as far as I'm concerned.:D

Just telling the score is different then describing the action. Or maybe they shouldn't, I don't know.

Again, I don't know that I agree with the NCAA's stance here BUT I do know that in this day and age it's getting harder and harder to protect ones intelectual property. I guess a line has to be drawn somewhere and this is where the NCAA chose to draw theirs. I can see both sides using the arguments that the CJ has put forth to their advantage. Besides anything that ticks off the CJ can't be all bad as far as I'm concerned.:D

I'm not sure that a public sporting event can be defined as intellectual property.

Broadcast rights can be protected but I don't think it can be classified as intellectual property.

This is an interesting story, IMO.